The place to speak about Ryan Van Poederooyen projects
#136901 by superhydroyeast
Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:01 am
the tinkly hat stuff? when you tap real fast on the one hat/cymbal, since I hear it a lot in some places on synchestra and you do it again on the video on rvpdrums.com and I've never seen (or heard) any other drummer do it besides you in such a casual way. was it just a spur of the moment thing, or does it have a deeper inspiration?
#136918 by Drumdude13
Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:54 am
superhydroyeast wrote:the tinkly hat stuff? when you tap real fast on the one hat/cymbal, since I hear it a lot in some places on synchestra and you do it again on the video on rvpdrums.com and I've never seen (or heard) any other drummer do it besides you in such a casual way. was it just a spur of the moment thing, or does it have a deeper inspiration?

Hey bro,

Yeah it has inspiration alright... that inspiration is called Tim "Herb" Alexander from Primus. He is hands down my biggest influence as far as drumming goes. That's why you hear me doing alot of Cymbal, Bell and Hi-Hat stuff. I just think it's a musical approach to drumming if you can get all those different cymbal tones working in a song. It's like a song within a song at times.

As far as it being casual for me to play... I think that's because it's become a natural and defining part of my style of drumming. Just like Gene Hoglan blasting off 32nd notes with his kick drums at a million miles an hour is natural and casual for him. Certain things make up an individuals style on any instrument. I'd say mine are definitely the cymbal thing and a solid groove. I'm all bout those two things... then I add some craziness in the double bass, tom fills and other stuff. I try to be as versatile as possible and am still working on it to this very day.

Hope that answered your question,

All the best,

RVP

#136919 by superhydroyeast
Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:09 am
thanks man =], I need to listen to a bit more primus actually than what I've heard.

#141074 by the toilet
Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:33 am
Primus are dog-bollock-tastic.

Excellent musicians, all of them.
#141126 by djskrimp
Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:27 pm
Drumdude13 wrote:
superhydroyeast wrote:the tinkly hat stuff? when you tap real fast on the one hat/cymbal, since I hear it a lot in some places on synchestra and you do it again on the video on rvpdrums.com and I've never seen (or heard) any other drummer do it besides you in such a casual way. was it just a spur of the moment thing, or does it have a deeper inspiration?

Hey bro,

Yeah it has inspiration alright... that inspiration is called Tim "Herb" Alexander from Primus. He is hands down my biggest influence as far as drumming goes. That's why you hear me doing alot of Cymbal, Bell and Hi-Hat stuff. I just think it's a musical approach to drumming if you can get all those different cymbal tones working in a song. It's like a song within a song at times.

As far as it being casual for me to play... I think that's because it's become a natural and defining part of my style of drumming. Just like Gene Hoglan blasting off 32nd notes with his kick drums at a million miles an hour is natural and casual for him. Certain things make up an individuals style on any instrument. I'd say mine are definitely the cymbal thing and a solid groove. I'm all bout those two things... then I add some craziness in the double bass, tom fills and other stuff. I try to be as versatile as possible and am still working on it to this very day.

Hope that answered your question,

All the best,

RVP

I KNEW there was a reason I really liked your playing! You, Herb and Stewart Copeland are some of the most physical drummers that can SWING I've ever heard, after John Bonham.

Side note: The organic drum sound from "Ocean Machine"...did you purposely kind of incorporate that into the dtb sound, or is it just a happy coincidence my ears are hearing?

Thanks....
#141142 by the toilet
Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:40 am
djskrimp wrote:
Side note: The organic drum sound from "Ocean Machine"...did you purposely kind of incorporate that into the dtb sound, or is it just a happy coincidence my ears are hearing?

Thanks....

I also noticed this, is it mainly to Dev's production? Or do you pull the shots on how your drums sound on the record? :)
#141149 by superhydroyeast
Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:09 am
the toilet wrote:
djskrimp wrote:

Thanks....

I also noticed this, is it mainly to Dev's production? Or do you pull the shots on how your drums sound on the record? :)

maybe you should create a new topic about this one, seeing as it's a pretty good question?