The place to speak about Ryan Van Poederooyen projects
#138542 by Chris
Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:27 am
Hey Ryan,

just a short question (but feel free to write a long answer): Do you remember the first time playing/ jamming together with the Dev? What was it like and did you immediately know that it would work?

Thanks,

Chris
#138841 by Drumdude13
Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:59 pm
Chris wrote:Hey Ryan,

just a short question (but feel free to write a long answer): Do you remember the first time playing/ jamming together with the Dev? What was it like and did you immediately know that it would work?

Thanks,

Chris

Hey Man,

Yeah, I totally remember the first time I jammed with Dev. It was a very memorable and surreal experience.

It was at SYL's old rehearsal space, I was playing on one of Gene's old beat-up kits (Which was surreal in it's own right). I brought my own Snare, Sticks and Cymbals. I had learn't Earthday, 7th Wave, Truth and a couple other tunes. The first thing Dev did was start jamming on a riff, i jumped in right away and just started playing a groove as solid as I could with some fills here and there. The coolest part I remember vivdly, was jamming for about 10 minutes, even before we jammed one of Dev's songs, and Dev saying " You're the guy !" I was like... "What?" we did'nt even play one of his songs yet. He just said it because he liked the way that I sat back on the groove and the way I hit the drums, which was confident and solid. I thought that the gig would work out from that point on and it did. Things just clicked.

We ended up jamming all his songs and working stuff out for some of his new material (Accelerated Evolution) the rest of that first jam. Dev admitted he had to try-out a couple other drummers he had promised auditions for, after my audition, but still said I was "The Guy". He jammed with the other drummers but in the end he stayed true to his word and I officially became the drummer for The Devin Townsend Band after that first jam.

It was really cool and an exciting time for me. I had so much respect for Devin (Still do of course !) and to be jamming songs of one of my fave albums of all time (Ocean Machine) with the actual artist, was very exciting and extremely surreal..... an honor.

So there it is..... hope that answers your question for you.

All the best,

RVP

#138863 by Chris
Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:42 am
Thanks for the answer Ryan, it was (again) a pleasure to read it. And good luck for Terror Syndrome!

Though I still believe that RT Machine - Trombomech would have been the better title, but hey, the choice is up to you... :bocul:

#138958 by The Dev
Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:16 am
Ryan kicks ass!

#138977 by ASHORIZZOR
Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:36 am
The Dev wrote:Ryan kicks ass!

Yes! :D

#139014 by theamazingchuy
Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:08 pm
you're a newfound inspiration in my drumming, RVP, and i can't wait to hear what you guys come up with on the next DTB release.

#139021 by Biert
Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:57 pm
theamazingchuy wrote:you're a newfound inspiration in my drumming, RVP, and i can't wait to hear what you guys come up with on the next DTB release.

Well, we'll get Terror Syndrome first, Ryan's 'solo' project, to be released this Spring/Summer (tentatively). Check out http://www.rvpdrums.com, http://www.myspace.com/rvpdrums and http://www.myspace.com/terrorsyndromeband for more infos (especially the RVP MySpace, I made that :P ).

In the meantime, while waiting for this beast, get yourself Lalu and Non-Human Level. RVP drumming and excelling on those, too.

(I'm a walking RVP advertisement :P )

#139045 by gozu
Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:47 pm
true DAT!

#139047 by hog
Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:12 pm

What Devin said.

#139061 by Coma Divine
Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:28 pm
Yeah, I guess.

With a little work...

:P

Hi Ryan!

#139062 by EphelDuath666
Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:33 pm
Ryan rawx!

and he has destroyed my poor, innocent soul by enlightening me with the existence of the almighty RT!

#139172 by AccEvolution
Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:59 pm
I guess I'll take the time to say that the drumming on Synchestra is, by far, my favorite drumming performance ever. There just aren't any words that describe how perfect the drum tracks are.

I really look forward to Terror Syndrome.

Cheers

#139198 by kyl88
Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:59 pm
Synchestra is my favorite drumming performance as well.

Ryan's just got it. :P