The place to speak about Ryan Van Poederooyen projects
#141078 by superhydroyeast
Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:40 am
apart from drumming for other bands, have you ever thought of making a project of your own? maybe just you and some random person as a guitarist, but in kinda the same way as dev made his other albums like terria with gene as his drummer, with gene drumming, but dev coming up with all the ideas and beat and stuff.
it may be a weird question, but with the creativity you've displayed in so many songs and the styles you can play, I was just wondering. awesome stuff with terror syndrome btw ;)

EDIT: I think I've put this over the wrong way. I mean basically like an album more focues on drums. I forgot to mention that inside all the jazzing up of the question I put in =P (yeah, I'm that retarded, people get used to it eventually =D)
#141086 by Drumdude13
Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:25 pm
superhydroyeast wrote:apart from drumming for other bands, have you ever thought of making a project of your own? maybe just you and some random person as a guitarist, but in kinda the same way as dev made his other albums like terria with gene as his drummer, with gene drumming, but dev coming up with all the ideas and beat and stuff.
it may be a weird question, but with the creativity you've displayed in so many songs and the styles you can play, I was just wondering. awesome stuff with terror syndrome btw ;)

EDIT: I think I've put this over the wrong way. I mean basically like an album more focues on drums. I forgot to mention that inside all the jazzing up of the question I put in =P (yeah, I'm that retarded, people get used to it eventually =D)

Good question...

Terror Syndrome first and foremost was the main thing I wanted to do as far as a solo project goes. I've done it now and am extremely happy with it.
As far as another thing where I'm in control of the writing, I've thought about putting together a drum album actually. It's been talked about a few times. Basically, Rob Wade (fellow Pearl and Sabian Endorsee),Danile Adair (Nickelbacks Drummer... a fucking insane drummer outside of Nickelback) and I spoke about it a year or so ago of having a crazy drum album with nothing but drums. Like having one guy play just cymbals but make it very musical with another guy just playing Toms and another guy playing beats, while we have famous guest drummers like Gene and others, to do guest drumming over it.

It's a cool idea but getting everyone together at the same time is really hard and writing the drum parts would take a really long time, especially if you want to make it unique and really cool. Plus getting all the guest's to do their parts at a certain time would be really difficult as well. I learn't that from doing my Terror Syndrome album. Even Dev was hard to nail down cuz he was so busy.

As of now, nothing has taken place but the idea is still there and time will tell if anything ever happens. If it does, you all will know about it right away. It would be a pretty crazy project and the talent would be insane on that album, I guarantee that !

So thats my answer. Maybe this drum project will see the light of day in the future but it's not looking too likely at the moment.

All the best,

RVP
#141089 by superhydroyeast
Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:38 pm
Drumdude13 wrote:
superhydroyeast wrote:apart from drumming for other bands, have you ever thought of making a project of your own? maybe just you and some random person as a guitarist, but in kinda the same way as dev made his other albums like terria with gene as his drummer, with gene drumming, but dev coming up with all the ideas and beat and stuff.

Good question...

Terror Syndrome first and foremost was the main thing I wanted to do as far as a solo project goes. I've done it now and am extremely happy with it.
As far as another thing where I'm in control of the writing, I've thought about putting together a drum album actually. It's been talked about a few times. Basically, Rob Wade (fellow Pearl and Sabian Endorsee),Danile Adair (Nickelbacks Drummer... a fucking insane drummer outside of Nickelback) and I spoke about it a year or so ago of having a crazy drum album with nothing but drums. Like having one guy play just cymbals but make it very musical with another guy just playing Toms and another guy playing beats, while we have famous guest drummers like Gene and others, to do guest drumming over it.

It's a cool idea but getting everyone together at the same time is really hard and writing the drum parts would take a really long time, especially if you want to make it unique and really cool. Plus getting all the guest's to do their parts at a certain time would be really difficult as well. I learn't that from doing my Terror Syndrome album. Even Dev was hard to nail down cuz he was so busy.

As of now, nothing has taken place but the idea is still there and time will tell if anything ever happens. If it does, you all will know about it right away. It would be a pretty crazy project and the talent would be insane on that album, I guarantee that !

So thats my answer. Maybe this drum project will see the light of day in the future but it's not looking too likely at the moment.

All the best,

RVP

awesome! I would've thought a drums ensemble would be cool. this is a weird idea, but I can imagine there being someone doing the general beat on drums, and everybody who has a kit just having their own solo or something, just in turn and for melody just like effects and stuff and vocals on top of that. ok yeah it's a bit far fetched, but that's what I'd do if I could play drums properly =D.

#141092 by Das Schuetzenfest
Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:46 pm
Interesting.
I seem to remember that about 10 years ago Dave Lombardo and Gene Hoglan discussed the possibility of a combined drums-only album in a couple of interviews. Nothing came out of it, obviously, I guess because of their multiple other projects they were involved in.

The multi-layered percussion intro to Grip Inc.'s first album "Power Of Inner Strength" could be the way to pull something like this off.