The place to speak about Ryan Van Poederooyen projects
#150901 by Planet Rain
Tue May 29, 2007 6:10 am
Hey Ryan!

what do you think of electronic drums?

I have the cheapest electric kit made by roland that i think is quite good.

Seems to me like the best option for learning drums, the cymbals arnt quite as dynamic as the real deal but they arnt too far off either.

If i was going to play drums live i would probably still use an electronic bass drum and toms, but with a real snare and cymbals...

just wondering what your thoughts are being a pro drummer, i have played other brands but i noticed roland where clearly better than some others.
yea rock on
#150989 by Drumdude13
Tue May 29, 2007 11:17 pm
Planet Rain wrote:Hey Ryan!

what do you think of electronic drums?

I have the cheapest electric kit made by roland that i think is quite good.

Seems to me like the best option for learning drums, the cymbals arnt quite as dynamic as the real deal but they arnt too far off either.

If i was going to play drums live i would probably still use an electronic bass drum and toms, but with a real snare and cymbals...

just wondering what your thoughts are being a pro drummer, i have played other brands but i noticed roland where clearly better than some others.
yea rock on

Hey Man,

To answer your question...

I've tried those VDrum electronic kits before and I thought they were pretty cool. I'm not a fan of using them for recording or live but at home for practicing, I think they are brilliant. You can throw on a pair of headphones and blast away till 5am in the morning without your neighbours getting pissed off atcha'.

In the end, I'm all about the acoustic kits but I'll admit that electronic drums have come a long way, just ain't my thing... that's all.

My .02 Cents, take care dude, hope that answers your question....

All the best,

RVP

#151167 by Planet Rain
Thu May 31, 2007 11:37 pm
thanks for that insight,

have you experimented with less traditional acoustic percussion like a huge gong, tablas, kettle drums, congas, stuff like that?

#151170 by Drumdude13
Thu May 31, 2007 11:49 pm
Planet Rain wrote:thanks for that insight,

have you experimented with less traditional acoustic percussion like a huge gong, tablas, kettle drums, congas, stuff like that?

Yes, I have ... even a thumb piano !!!! Pretty cool shit. I love anything drum/percussion related. Conga's are cool, I've actually recorded them in a studio before. Anything Rhythmic I have an easy time getting into. Good question and interesting.

All the best,

RVP

#151241 by hog
Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:59 pm
Thumb piano? Woah! :shock: :)

#151246 by Josiah Tobin
Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:12 pm
hog wrote:Thumb piano? Woah! :shock: :)

I have one of those... They're a lot of fun. :P