Who's behind the door... who's behind the door?
#167126 by Liampie
Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:42 pm
AE is ok, but not amazing. The layering is what I like about Devin, and this album doesn't have that in a way like Terria or Ocean Machine.
That's why the melody of the songs matters more to me in this album than others. The only melodies I really really really like are Traveller and especially Slow Me Down, and therefore those are my favourite songs. Storm is a good third favourite.

Edit: Nevermind. I got used to the album now and I love it. I was wrong about the layers and the melodies!
Last edited by Liampie on Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
#167198 by Matt Nevens
Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:39 am
i think Sunday afternoon has a LOT of layers if you listen through headphones real carefully ( and being baked helps)
#174024 by Nathan_lol
Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:05 pm
How can people hate Random Analysis? "But still you say that FAGGOT IS AS FAGGOT DOES WITH EVERY LITTLE FAGGOT THING YOUR FAGGOT CLUES!" That line alone sells the song for me. Oh, and Traveller is fucking amazing. Devin should do an acoustic version of it, that'd be amazing.

Re:

#180785 by mineralinsulated
Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:07 am
the_scoon wrote:
Bolo Mark 33 wrote:My 2 cents:

I probably don't know what I'm talking about here, but I think that the main difference between AE and much of Devin's previous work is that, on average, AE has fewer layers in its songs. It's a lot more of just guitars, drums, and vocals and a bit less of the sound clips and synthesized sounds that are generally present in most of his work.

/end 2 cents

The funny thing about this is, this album was the first thing I heard by Devin and so I was like "OMFG! Soooo many layers!" Then I found Terria...

Nonetheless, I love that album, simply because it sounded exactly like the sound I was trying to find in a band for god knows how many years.

Totally the same for me
#181718 by Alex78
Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:42 am
Liampie wrote:The only melodies I really really really like are Traveller and especially Slow Me Down, and therefore those are my favourite songs.

Odd choices there, dude. Those two songs are my least favourite ones. Away, Deadhead, Storm, Suicide, Sunday Afternoon - those songs own.
#193572 by Jaggra
Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:28 pm
Silicium Gentleman wrote: That seems to me a kind of recycling. else...

Dude, he totally made that point in Earth Day xD.
#193596 by DavidIves
Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:03 pm
Silicium Gentleman wrote::shock:
This is the argument that I wanted to pick up from the day I had in my hands "AE Spacial Ed" (months ago).
There is a reason, somewhere, when somebody wants to discuss something that the others have already said... even just because it would make you happy!
From the moment that I knew about the release of the latest Dev's works, I promissed to myself to have them even being oblight to cut my right hand (I use very often the left one... and for the other things, too!).
I was listening to "AE" zapping tracks as I do with all new music, and having a beer. At the end, I shook my head, perplessed.
Two days later I listened it with more attention (without beer)... and done the same thing! Why?
It's BODYLESS! Reasons:
1. The mixes\samples are too close - and pretty marked - to Terria and Physi-City. That seems to me a kind of recycling. Somebody told that every single work of Dev is making part of The Project, so using some bits from here and there is not a sin... BUT not in this case!
2. Drums are minimal and (too much?) distiguished!
3. The melodies are repetitive, even the acoustic tracks (those were being played worse than ever).
4. (The Conclusive one). There is a few of Devy Metal Spirit. Devin has lost something while making it. Maybe that was a price to pay for his geniality (Tracy?... Geoff? What can you say?). Maybe something else...

AE is an amazing album. Ok granted its not the SAME as Terria but who wants the same every time? not me. i love this album. its not a musical odysse but you can just pop it on, choose a random track and dance around like "fuck it!"

BUT

DEADHEAD is my favourite DEV song ever. that one is deep to me. awesome album
#201061 by disciple
Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:35 pm
AE is amazing IMO, I 1st heard Devin with Steve Vai and was amazed with his vocals, but when I heard his solo stuff I was blown away, upset that I had never heard him before I went on a wild search determined to own every HevyDevy cd available. I personally have a harder time understanding Physicist and Hummer than any of his other works, but enjoy them all the same. I have never heard music quite like that of Hevy Devy and I am grateful that such art probably will never be duplicated.....
#211535 by croomekid
Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:29 pm
Most of the time his albums take a while to digest mentally.
until you realize every way he enrichens his work is just too powerful to resist.