Who's behind the door... who's behind the door?

#60060 by Blazingmonga
Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:07 am
AwayIrene wrote::) .. There is no goin' back once you got hooked on his music..

There is a feeling that once you have felt it you can never forget it.

#60088 by Bloody_Rust
Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:54 am
Blazingmonga wrote:
AwayIrene wrote::) .. There is no goin' back once you got hooked on his music..

There is a feeling that once you have felt it you can never forget it.

Yup! To be honest, I can't even remember what life was like before it came along...

#60293 by StrappingYoungLad
Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:25 am
I don't even know what that post means but yeah! AE rocks!

KRIS

#60295 by Olive?
Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:33 am
AE Rocks!
It isn't my favourite Dev's one, but I love it.

Listen to Suicide or Sunday Afternoon...
If it's not magic...

#60600 by HiPoCrAcY
Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:49 am
Just listened to AE today and yesterday, I concluded that i really fuckin love it. I think it gets harder to share the love around each time a new album comes out :). Plus i also think that older albums become favouite albums easier because the listener has a longer connection to it, more memories and history. Does everyone remember the first time they heard city or ocean machine?
That being said i now listen to Terria and Accelerated Evolution a little more because i havent listened to them as much as the others, each time i don i remember why i love Dev and how special his music is no matter which album is on. Im still hearing new thngs every time i put them on. One thing I can definatly say is that AE makes me feel really good, though i cant put my finger on why :)

#61225 by Origin
Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:08 pm
I can´t belive that a record that has DEADHEAD on it is qualified as "non magic"... also, I like to say that I LOVE this record, I think that is at the top of my personal chart on ALL bands, not just DTB, this is a great CD.
Yes, it has no sick drums, it´s "simple", but it isn´t simple in the deep, I can´t think on any GREAT music that it´s better because it´s complicated.
I think that achieving such musicality with such elemental stuff it´s much more difficult that seem "interesting" with complex stuff...
AE is one hell of a record.
Fernando

#61254 by Olive?
Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:20 am
Origin wrote:Yes, it has no sick drums, it´s "simple", but it isn´t simple in the deep, I can´t think on any GREAT music that it´s better because it´s complicated.

Maybe AE's drum parts are not intricated or hyper-complex, but it's not easy to play Bryan parts with the same feeling, groove, intensity, power and precision... Sometimes I play Suicide and Storm.. One thing is listening to them, another one is playing them.
One great thing about playing AE's drums parts is that while you're playing, you can easily feel the power behind the groove.
Monumental.

#61269 by Anarion
Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:02 am
AE fuckin rules...Every track..

#61530 by TinyTears007
Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:30 pm
I will use my first post here to praise AE: it sure deserves it!

In my mind, the only Devy record that surpasses it is Terria, and I place AE on the par with Ocean Machine, yes, I like it THAT much!

There's not a single song that I feel the need to skip on here, and Depth Charge, Random Analysis, Suicide, Away and Deadhead are all on my top 10 favourite Devin songs list. In my mind, AE features some of Dev's most powerful vocals and guitarwork (Away) and is just plain awesome really. :D

#61544 by psychotic
Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:11 pm
Very good way to spend your first post. I agree with you on all of those songs, those are probably my favorites on the album. Those screams on Depth Charge are just plaing awesome as well.

#62396 by Greg Reason
Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:07 pm
My main problem with AE: songs versus flow.... I will alway choose flow, which I feel to be more organic and artistic, so Infinity, OM and Terria will always impress me far more.

#63310 by Mudtrailer
Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:28 am
AE is a very good album considering the expectations after Terria which is in my opinion the best album ever made. (it came to me at a funny point in my life, and it just fit everything) .

I find the trick is not to have such high expectations, give yourself a rest there, its HIS work, not your brain's. And deal with it from there. Some people might find it their favorite, others not. However it wont be ever an album that you say for a month, "this is so kick ass Devy just rocks so much" and then put on the shelf... it has its place in my spins. Sometimes more oftemn than Terria depending on the mood , sometimes not. Take it for what it is. I happen to relate to points in it. I really like it even though I like most of the other albums more. Its not a pop album. And I feel thats what people want, for it to hit the masses, a "break-out". .. well it wont. its very personal I think. And I hope , personally Devin never "breaks out" .

Blaze a trail baby!!!!!!

#63363 by Klersxt
Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:53 am
I like AE quite a bit, but not nearly as much as Terria, Infinity or Ocean Machine. The overall sound is a bit too polished and it doesn't have that intense craziness that is on Townsend's other albums.

#63449 by Catatonik
Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:27 pm
AE is one of my fave albums. I love the others, but after Terria, it goes AE, OM

#66624 by disgruntledembryo420
Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:08 pm
I think the point of AE was to move away from that "flow" sound and just do good songs. Since that was the intent, judging it on the structure is a bit pointless. If an artist intends a certain thing, and makes the mark, then that can't really be disputed in my opinion. Terria, Infinity and OM are what they are and AE is what it is. To me that's like a black person coming up to me and saying I'm not dark complected enough. Ok, that's a bad analogy buy you get my point. 8)