Who's behind the door... who's behind the door?
#74856 by Noodles
Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:18 pm
OK, I might be the only one who thinks this, I've been known to make stuff up about music before... but does the drumming on AE sound nothing like any other album ever? It's got this crazy super heavy yet not abrasive feel. I mean the thuds on Random Analysis(for example) are just crazy. This is probably the only Dev album where the drumming almost overtakes the guitars for where my attention is focused.(except possible Alien).

Does/Did anyone else notice this?

btw AE is probably my favourite DTB album, it or Ocean Machine :D

#74861 by steve_dave
Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:14 am
I know what you mean dude, the drums are so prominent in the mix and sound SO heavy. But that's good, i love the drum sound.

I think that because AE is a more 'conventional' (For want of a better term) album and is prolly the COMPLETE opposite of say, infinity, which is so full of sounds and samples that often things can be 'lost'. But on AE there's not really much going on except RAWK! Which i think makes all of the instruments come through a lot clearer...

umm... yea i know what i wanted to say, and i hope i said it good.

#74967 by Olive?
Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:07 pm
Like I wrote many times in the past months I believe that Ryan's drumming on AE is GREAT. It's not simple to sit on the drumkit throne that was of a certain Gene Hoglan... BUT Ryan did (and still does) it very very well, bringing to DTB his own style. I LOVE AE drums parts and I think that the drums sound in the mix is the best Devin has ever had (I haven't listened to Alien yet... I've ordered it a week ago). I'm a drummer, so drums are the first things that I listen on a record... I don't know if other people have noticed the things you're saying, but I have... And I fuc*in' like it!!! :wink: :twisted:

#74994 by Coma Divine
Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:53 pm
I think one of the "unheralded classics" on AE is Random Analysis.
Ryan's drumming on that is unbelievable! :D

#74996 by Noodles
Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:55 pm
ya, also everything sounds different from any of the other drums i've heard. the cymbals(sp?) sound sort of tinny, and it all suits the album so perfectly.

i would say gene's drumming on alien is better(or at least more prominent) though, the double bass kicks on that are nuts.

#75529 by Stonegaze
Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:55 am
As I put AE in my discman for the first time, I flied high to sthing called almost euphoria. When the album was played through, I woke up from it, hit play again and started it all over again, focusing to other instruments and singing too. First time went totally with all the drummings.

I think, for me, this is the first Dev's (so SYL not counted) album that really shows up its personality so strongly with drums. The way Ryan uses all of the set so lively, widely and makes it sound catchy, perfectly fitting to the whole...I am impressed. Especially in the ways he starts playing in all the songs. And cymbals just sound freaking awesome.

#75556 by LouiLoomis
Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:33 am
I believe Ryan's brother masters the drum sound in the studio, so that with Ryan's own drum style creates a very signature sound. The drums are definitley the dominant instrument on AE but with out making it sound messy at the same time. Excellent stuff!

#75562 by Blazingmonga
Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:50 am
I have to agree here, the drumming really does shine on this disc.

Also I think that because it was Ryan this time and not Gene, you can hear the difference. Not in terms of quality, but in style. Somebody (no idea who or where!) described Ryans drumming as liquid on this album, and I think that really suits.

Some incredible stuff, for sure.

#75672 by bpeter
Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:01 am
When I heard the sound of the drum. I felt down... :D

Incredible. Like the sound of the whole album!

#75704 by djskrimp
Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:24 pm
I don't think Dev knows how to get a bad drum to play music with....Wasn't Mike Mangini in the Vai band during "Sex and Religion"? And, I LOVED the drums on Ocean Machine....I envy Dev's ability to get great drummers.

<sniffle>

#75714 by Olive?
Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:22 am
On "Sex and Religion" the drummer was Terry Bozzio, but that doesn't change the sense of what you've wrote!! :lol: :lol:

#76084 by asparagusDuck
Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:12 pm
Where's Ryan? He should see what people have to say about his fine work :)

#76111 by Olive?
Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:02 am
You can find Ryan on the RVP Forums!
A lot of drum talking and fun!
Sign in and enjoy!!