Who's behind the door... who's behind the door?
#81758 by chrisslight
Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:08 am
..and I have to say I'm in love with it. Amazing album, I have been a bit SYL fan for a while, and have loved the samples of Devs solo stuff from hevydevy.com. My friends knowing this, got a copy of AE in for me, and I couldnt be more impressed. I really cant see any limit to Mr.Townsends tallent, I even enjoy Info Dump nowdays *a fact that seems to disconsert my friends*. What should I got for as my next Dev purchase? Any advice?
#81759 by Chris
Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:16 am
That's what I call a great birthday present! Excellent :D

So this is your first and so far only Devy solo album, right? Well, the album which is closest to it concerning songs may be Ocean Machine. But to be honest, I just have one simple advice for you. Not because I'm too lazy to write, but it's the one thing I do wanna let you know:

Get 'em all.

#81761 by steve_dave
Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:18 am
My personal suggestion would be 'Terria' if you haven't got it... my personal favourite.

#81766 by Blazingmonga
Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:31 am
And what a happy birthday it must have been!!

The question "What should I get next?" is one I see here often, though not one there is ever a good answer for. I have been blown away by every Devin release so far, so I think you have to accept that you will probably end up buying them all anyway.

But if you really dig AE, then Terria is a good step I suppose. I would also recommend Ocean Machine. And Infinity. And Physicist. And all the rest!

#81826 by funny_little_guy
Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:07 am
Yeah Terria or Ocean Machine for sure.

#81869 by simen_88
Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:43 am
If you like SYL then you should check out Physicist.

#81875 by chrisslight
Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:45 am
Thanks for the advice guys! Looks like I'm gonna work through them all backwards, hehe :D . And yeah, I was pretty damn pleased when I opend the package :).

#81876 by Olive?
Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:11 am
Buy "Terria" then... All the others!

Welcome on board my friend.
Enjoy!

#81897 by gurp13
Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:46 pm
FWIW, I had bought AE first and then Ocean Machine next. I just got into Devin this last year. After OM, I bought Terria, then Infinity and Physicist. I also think the Ass-Sordid Demos I and the Christeen EP are very much worth getting as well. Ass-Sordid Demos is a little uneven in terms of good songs, but it's fun to have. L.A., Red Amsterdam, Man, are all super good songs. In fact, Man is one of my favorite HevyDevy songs now! Hope that helps!

#81964 by Hellhammer
Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:55 pm
And since I didn't say before, I would go for either Terria or Ocean Machine. Ocean Machine is at the top of the list though.

I can see you enjoying whatever you get.

#82002 by chrisslight
Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:26 am
Hellhammer wrote:And since I didn't say before, I would go for either Terria or Ocean Machine. Ocean Machine is at the top of the list though.

I can see you enjoying whatever you get.

Yeah, I'm thinking of going for Terria next as the follow up Purchase :)

#82003 by fragility
Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:33 am
I'd either go for Terria as it's my fav...or start with Ocean Machine and work your way through

Man I envy you. I wish I could get Dev's stuff for the first time again!

#82006 by Chris
Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:00 am
fragility wrote:Man I envy you. I wish I could get Dev's stuff for the first time again!

Oh yeah... Especially Terria. From the second time I put the CD on (the first time I heard it right after Physicist, so I was just fuckin' blown away!), it was so much more than just "listening to music"... It was a discovery, an experience.

Of course, it still is, and I'm not saying I wanna trade it for the way I listen to Terria now, but those were certainly very special moments I like to remember.

Ok, sounds gay and is slightly off topic, but just had to say it... :wink:
#82080 by Lumiere
Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:07 am
chrisslight wrote:What should I got for as my next Dev purchase? Any advice?

Dev has not produced a single bad album. The next logical purchase for you, I'd wager, would be Terria. It's my favourite album of all time, and Devin at his peak.