Who's behind the door... who's behind the door?
#91176 by VampireDaveGrohl
Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:39 am
I find AE very relaxing. It still rocks like hell, but i find it such an easy album t listen to that i can easilly listen to it over and over and over again in a day, which i can't do with any of the other albums (well, maybe Terria)

I suspect this is because, as i think i read in a devin interview somewhere, that he set out to write individual SONGS this time as opposed to a soundscape. Any one else feel this way? I know AE isn't the most popular Dev album, but it is still my favourite.

#91180 by fragility
Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:02 am
I agree that it is very relaxing, and I also see how its more song focused....and although it's not my favourite I think it fits in perfectly with the others :)

#91184 by chrisslight
Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:40 am
I'd not heard that before, about it being more focused on individual songs, but that description deffinatly suits AE for me, brilliant album I think.

#91193 by Chris
Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:58 am
That's what I've always thought, AE is much more song-oriented and has more of a band-feeling than, well, let's say Terria for example. Has to do with both, the song-writing and the production, and Dev meant it to come out that way.

Oh yeah - what I wanted to say: I agree :wink:

#91198 by Eyesore
Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:09 pm
I think it sounds really raw for a Devin Townsend release. Am I the only one?

#91201 by doomsoldier
Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:13 pm
IMO, AE and Infinity are Devin's relaxing albums (with the exception of Ants). You can totally just space out listening to them. Some would say that Terria is also such an album, but I much prefer being alert and focused when listening to Terria, so that I can enjoy all those little things that add spice to the mix.
#91246 by Greg Reason
Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:14 am
VampireDaveGrohl wrote:I find AE very relaxing. It still rocks like hell, but i find it such an easy album t listen to that i can easilly listen to it over and over and over again in a day, which i can't do with any of the other albums (well, maybe Terria)

I suspect this is because, as i think i read in a devin interview somewhere, that he set out to write individual SONGS this time as opposed to a soundscape. Any one else feel this way? I know AE isn't the most popular Dev album, but it is still my favourite.

I find that is the reaosn that I can't listen to it more than a few times a year. I get over songs much easier than extended pieces.

#91309 by psychotic
Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:31 pm
I agree with that, for some reason he just seems to feel really comfortable with the music that he is playing throughout the album.

#91319 by CardDinour
Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:21 pm
i see it as much more song based too, although many of the songs have a similar feel. i like this album quite alot and listen to it frequently, some of his best work is on here imo - storm, deadhead, sunday afternoon. i would like a return to a more thematic album though :)

#91434 by dedrexel
Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:24 am
You find Infinity relaxing!?! That album is TENSE!

#91553 by Goat
Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:52 am
I find AE very dry and vocal focused. That's why I believe it's a very personal record.

#91561 by doomsoldier
Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:15 pm
dedrexel wrote:You find Infinity relaxing!?! That album is TENSE!

Well as I said, apart from Ants, I find the whole thing very soothing. It flows like a river.

#100040 by Vanished
Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:52 am
When I put on AE and it ends, I feel peacefull and friendly.

Like yes now it's ok.