Who's behind the door... who's behind the door?

#95452 by xfubar
Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:51 pm
fuck, traveller kicks ass, "Devy-pop" is amazing.

#95470 by FUBAR
Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:03 am
ARRGH!, change your name dude! :twisted: .... :wink:

#95626 by xfubar
Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:48 am
haha! well i like the nick xfubar.

We can be twins!

#95665 by FUBAR
Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:54 am
....alright then

#96611 by danceswithchickens
Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:35 am
We all know by now that Devin has a penchant for cheese. This is why he writes songs like "Traveller" and "Stagnant", not to mention "Slow Me Down". If he ONLY made music like this, I sure as hell wouldn't be a member of his forum. But I think sometimes it's a good practice to listen to a song in the context of the rest of the artist's work, rather than criticizing it on it's own. Listening like this allows you to appreciate, or even enjoy, a song that might otherwise piss you off.

#101117 by Cav
Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:29 am
I love 'Traveller'. I do admit I do have a huge soft spot for pop-metal (Proud Wildhearts fanatic since '93!), and Dev is one of the best around at it. Nowt wrong with a bit of melody now and again; it's just all part of the mad & glorious sonic carpet we call The Dev...

...Jesus, I just called Devin a carpet. Not on my metaphor game today!

#101217 by Atari
Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:11 pm
Cav wrote:......it's just all part of the mad & glorious sonic carpet we call The Dev...

Just incase people missed it the first time.....

#101409 by sj_2150
Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:51 am
i love the song and im working out the bass tab for it, one of my favs on the album, Dev makes a mighty depressed AND happy song, OH and anything above, below and in between

#101675 by Cav
Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:26 pm
Something else just occured to me, flicking across the forums - OK, so many don't like Dev's poppier songs ('Traveller', 'Slow Me Down', 'Stagnant' etc) as much as the heavier material, and that's absolutely cool and down to each individual. However, I've started to notice the way many people are describing the 'pop'/melodic songs as 'cheesy', and the heavier stuff as his 'serious' music.

I don't know, I am a sucker for a good melody (Which I guess makes me biased), but I just don't agree with making that kind of opposition. To me, it seems to suggest a belief that the 'pop' stuff is of less artistic worth, purely by dint of having a catchy melody. I'm pretty sure Dev puts just as much as himself into all of his songs, and even when he deliberately goes for 'cheese' it's still part of his creative expression - he's just a lover of melody, and has a sense of humour about it.

In fact, I'd say that one of his greatest strengths is how he recognizes the power of both the esoteric and the accessible, and the success with which he blends them in his music. Besides, the 'accessible' tunes can often be the most difficult to write of all!

Like I said, each to his own but I just think it's a tad unfair to regard his poppy songs as any less 'serious' than the others: it's just different styles. We've all got our own tastes, and some don't like that particular style - no problems, it's all horses for courses. I just don't think it's really fair to make assumptions about the value of/behind the styles, as I'm fairly certain Dev himself wouldn't make those distinctions.

Like I said, I'm not meaning to belittle anyone's personal tastes, but I just thought I'd post my thoughts...

#101790 by BaldMosher446
Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:34 am
Traveller is one of my all-time favorite Devy songs ever. The guitar work is awesome and I love his vocals on the song too.

#103498 by Deathcom7000
Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:54 pm
Has anyone noticed how the end sounds a little bit like Sister from Ocean Machine? Maybe it' just me. Or maybe you all already knew that

#104205 by Cygnus
Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:09 pm
Theres nothing wrong with traveller at all. The pop sound that he has in this song, to me, is what devin is all about. He does things with metal that no one else has ever done, and he doesnt care how cheezy he makes the song, as long as it sounds good.

#104298 by DeviousMofo
Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:24 am
Traveller? "Pop"?! HAAAAAAAAAAHAHA...

#104333 by Cav
Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:26 pm
DeviousMofo wrote:Traveller? "Pop"?! HAAAAAAAAAAHAHA...

I agree with you. But you know how it is, especially with metal artists: as soon as they use anything approaching an accessible melody it's suddenly deemed 'Pop'.

Now, Devin making a Wham! tribute album: that would be POP! :shock: And possibly just about mental enough to work...

#104528 by DeviousMofo
Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:51 am
I'd buy it... but only if they include a bonus DVD featuring remakes of some of those classic Wham videos, starring The Dev with an orange spray-on tan and revoltingly small swimming trunks. Break dancing on some tropical beach with Gene.

Maybe that would have to be another website-only release :shock: