Who's behind the door... who's behind the door?

#133265 by Mazaro
Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:17 pm
The vocals are possibly too loud, but in this case I'd say it's alright since AE probably remains the Devin album with the best vocals, or close to it. Just listen to the last half of storm.

And it's not like the instruments lack power... the best example being when the chords kick in a minute or so into Deadhead.

#134770 by danceswithchickens
Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:12 pm
The vocals on "Depth Charge" are simply amazing...same with Sunday afternoon...

#136445 by woebegone
Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:02 am
Vanished wrote:I don't agree, with this album the vocals really send out the emotion of the song. Especially with the songs: Storm, Deadhead and Suicide

Curgically accurate :!: Might i add Random analysis extremely cool sung lyrics and depth charge where he goes "mother, father, sister, FAMILEEEEY" :!: Sweet 8)

#136540 by frog
Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:52 pm
Guys, he's not saying the vocal performance is the problem (as it's fantastic), he's saying the production makes it sound like the vox sit on top of the mix instead of blending with it which takes something away from it (which I agree with, although I didn't notice the first few times I listened since I was so swept up by the emotion).

#137046 by superhydroyeast
Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:57 am
it could've been intentional. maybe he wanted us to focus more on the lyrical content as well as the music of the album?
it also helps bring out just how much he does and can do with his voice. devs voicebox is holy, up with the volume!!

#137079 by danceswithchickens
Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:45 pm
I'm pretty sure that everything Dev does is quite intentional. His albums do not end up sounding a certain way by accident...

#137096 by Josiah Tobin
Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:19 pm
I remember reading somewhere that he wanted to act like 'more of a singer' on the album, whatever that can be interpreted to mean-- I think maybe he meant to just showcase the fact that yes, he can sing as a 'normal' singer would and be damn good at it. (As opposed to more creative use of his voice and/or his recognizeable style of both singing and mixing the vocals)

I think it was in an interview somewhere, if anyone knows what I'm talking about and cares to dig it up...

#144817 by starark
Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:23 pm
I know what you mean with the vocals being too loud but I figure AE is a really stripped down version of typical Devin with less ambience and stuff, and the lyrics are less ambigous so the vocals needed to be louder. If any Devin album needs louder vocals its AE.

#160119 by Ronixis
Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:13 am
I have to disagree. For me AE is all about vocals. It almost feels like a showcase of everything what Devin can do vocally. I think the bare, less produced mix of the vocals fits like a glove. Eq, reverbs, delays and effects are used deliberately, which may make the vocals vulnerable, but in this case, STRONG.

And as for the volume-levels, I think everything is okay. It's just slightly closer to the regular way of producing vocals.
#167204 by Matt Nevens
Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:50 am
i think the vocals are a little too high in the mix in some parts (like storm), other parts like the depth charge chorus are perfect
#167967 by Nathan_lol
Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:35 pm
I love how high the vocals are, Devin's voice should be heard! It really shows how awesome his voice is. Like, I can hear every subtle detail in the vocals at the end of Storm. And man, that's easily my favorite vocal part on any song, ever, its so fucking incredible...
#168886 by Saline
Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:28 pm
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and somewhat new to DT. I just stumbled recently upon AE and I'm loving it (how'd I miss it before?).

I'd rate Devin's production up there with Steve Wilson; he's a true master. AE is a little more lyric and vocal-oriented than the previous albums, so it's no surprise that the vocals are mixed in a bit higher. There's a more obvious voice/background dichotomy to AE, which makes it more emotional (in my opinion). I feel like we're seeing more of Devin as a singer here, and it's an aspect I really like. He's a fanastic singer. Deadhead really nails it when he sings "Now the rain it comes / the rain it blurs the grey line / the greyhound home"...followed by the dramatic "hurt me!" line which is so piercing.
#168892 by BlueRaja
Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:27 pm
Welcome, Saline! 8)