Who's behind the door... who's behind the door?
#98792 by DevonH
Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:58 pm
This may have been discussed before, but:

I love the production on AE, except the vocals......it sounds like he's got them turned up too loud and they almost overpower the music. It sounds almost like he's singing through a PA over the stereo....
I don't hate the vocal production or the album by any stretch, after all it is Dev...but it makes AE my least favorite.
I'm just really really worried that Synchestra will follow that production trend.

#98797 by Poey
Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:55 pm
I think the volume and levels of the vocals on AE work very well... I also think it really shows how AMAZING he is as a singer. On songs like Storm and Suicide it really comes out strong. I'm not worried at all about Synchestra.

#98802 by doomsoldier
Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:05 am
I think vocals have always been one of Dev's strongest elements and of all the vocals he's done, I don't think I can come up with one that I didn't like. AE's vocals are great.

#98804 by DevonH
Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:12 am
I think his actual singing is superb....it just seems a little loud in the mix. I think this is most noticable on Deadhead. Depth Charge don't seem to have the same mix and is absolutely stunning.

#98818 by VampireDaveGrohl
Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:54 am
Nah. Not that i know much about mixing, but the whole album sounds perfect to me.

#98840 by flood_of_rain
Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:53 am
:shock: i see the production on AE to be great. it indeed does sound differently mixed than previous albums but i feel that gives it its own unique sound :)

#98993 by the_scoon
Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:00 am
I don't find the vocals too loud really. The cool thing about this album is that it has a completely different sound like flood_of_rain said. There's less of the ambience but this album hardly needs it really.

#98996 by Chris
Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:11 am
DevonH wrote:I think his actual singing is superb....it just seems a little loud in the mix. I think this is most noticable on Deadhead. Depth Charge don't seem to have the same mix and is absolutely stunning.

From what you said one can conclude that the mixing isn't the same on the whole album, but is meant to suit each single song by differing from track to track. Which wouldn't be a bad thing, right? :wink:

Anyway, that's very interesting and I'm not sure I've noticed it that clearly before. By the way, the moment when the vocals on Deadhead start and you get the impression that Dev's voice was flying on top of this wall of sound, it's... Fuck. One of my favourite moments in music. Pure magic.

#99859 by SirJuzzi
Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:30 pm
I particularly like, how the vocals are louder than on older Devy albums. AE is also the best sung Devin's album, so I see no reason to have it as loud as it is in the mix.

But on Ocean Machine the vocals are too silent at many places. They would deserve to be more audible.

#99870 by Burbster
Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:59 pm
I like Dev's vocals a lot on this album, but I have to agree, it sort of sits on top of the music in this album, instead of just blending in.

#99881 by Eyesore
Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:19 pm
I partly agree, there are parts that irk me a bit on AE. The biggest example being the end of "Storm." It just sounds tortured, but it's not mixed enough into the song so it seems separate from the rest of the music. I think it doesn't work well like that. There are some other moments, but overall I'm not unhappy with it.

This album is just the only album I've had a problem with the vocals, though it's a minor complaint.

#100043 by Vanished
Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:58 am
I don't agree, with this album the vocals really send out the emotion of the song. Especially with the songs: Storm, Deadhead and Suicide

#112060 by devileif
Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:55 am
I agree with Vanished...

Especially the vocals on "Storm" and "Deadhead" are some of the most insane vocals I've ever heard. They are just dripping with emotion. It's such a joy listening to such a talent.

Sends chills down my spine every time I listen to him.
#112268 by Hughie
Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:41 am
devileif wrote:I agree with Vanished...

Especially the vocals on "Storm" and "Deadhead" are some of the most insane vocals I've ever heard. They are just dripping with emotion. It's such a joy listening to such a talent.

Sends chills down my spine every time I listen to him.

I was going to post this same thing! :o

#112648 by bv7991
Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:50 am
How can anyone complain about dev's vox being too prominent in the mix. I could see one's complaining about them being buried. I think the production on AE is far superior than some of his other releases i.e. Physicist. But thats just my opinion.