Who's behind the door... who's behind the door?

#114475 by funny_little_guy
Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:23 pm
devileif wrote:I think it's a poor video... it just doesn't show the emotion that's on that fantastic song. And it seems that there wasn't much effort was put into it. but hey what do I know... :disturb:
I understand that the budget must of been small, so it is difficult.
Is it better than nothing at all? I supose so. But if the DTB is 110% committed in making a killer album why slack off with the video?

Because when you make a video you pretty much just give the song to the best person you can afford, and hope for the best really.

#114529 by Cav
Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:58 am
funny_little_guy wrote:
devileif wrote:I think it's a poor video... it just doesn't show the emotion that's on that fantastic song. And it seems that there wasn't much effort was put into it. but hey what do I know... :disturb:
I understand that the budget must of been small, so it is difficult.
Is it better than nothing at all? I supose so. But if the DTB is 110% committed in making a killer album why slack off with the video?

Because when you make a video you pretty much just give the song to the best person you can afford, and hope for the best really.

Absolutely. It's hideously expensive to shoot a video, and obviously Dev & Tracy can't throw around the kind of dosh the major labels can afford, so they have to make the best of what they do have. I agree that the video isn't that great: it's not very imaginative, and some of those greenscreen effects are pretty poorly done.

However, those faults lie squarely at the filmmakers' feet. As FLG points out, the artist is often left at the mercy of the filmmakers' skills (or lack thereof), and these guys didn't tap half of the song's potential IMHO.

Still, as Dev's profile has grown (Along with sales therefore, I presume, promotional funds) the videos have impoved. Compare the Storm vid to that of Love?, and there's a huge difference. I'm sure one day soon the gang will find a director that'll give the DTB the video that truly shows them in their true light!

#114546 by devileif
Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:40 am
I think that's one of the reasons I'm a bit dissapointed in the video is because I can easily imagine an Epic video for a whole lot DTB songs. It sucks so much that they can't make a video worthy of a DTB song. I guess we'll just have to hope someone with vision and money will take a chance and make an amazing video for an amazing artist.

#114547 by Cav
Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:48 am
Well, let's keep our fingers crossed - the Dev's reputation seems to be growing with every release, so hopefully soon we'll get our wish!

#114580 by Biert
Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:58 pm
Cav wrote:Compare the Storm vid to that of Love?, and there's a huge difference.

That's because Storm is an HDR release, Love? is Century Media. That means more $$$$$$$.

#114660 by funny_little_guy
Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:25 am
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah.

#114837 by White Mandela
Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:48 pm
Hmmm, the cheap computer graphics detracted somewhat from the video but it's cool to see the band "rocking out"
It's not as bad as the lengthy animated sequences in the Pink Floyd Live at Pompei dvd though (the destruction of Pompei as rendered on an early 90s pc!)

#114852 by alucard0848
Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:19 pm
can someone sum up what is exactly going on inthe storm video?

#114855 by UncleTonyP
Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:34 pm
a bunch of planets floating around, dev and the band playing, and loking really bored. its a terrible video of a great song, i couldnt even watch the whole thing.

#131225 by Subcutaneous Phat
Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:03 pm
I've just seen the video. C'mon people, let's face it - it's a great song, but THE VIDEO SUCKS. Half-assed concepts, bad camera angles, awful effects production. Had to switch the damn thing off after about 2 minutes. And the DVD of them performing those few songs in the studio would have been fantastic were it not for the shitty effects thrown in left right and centre for no reason at all. It's just the original image with a few visualiser effects from windows media player over the top of it. Was the guy Dev hired on a work experience placement from college?? Or could he just not be bothered? Poor.

#131226 by JuZ
Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:34 pm
I've always been of the opinion that if you don't have a big budget, don't do "special" effects etc.

Spend the money on good quality film and/or equipment, drive the band out to the desert (or even a car park at night with some big-arsed lights) and get 'em to play the song. Film it from a bunch of angles and cut it up.

It shows the band doing what they do best, they feel more comfortable and therefore it looks better, in my opinion.

That said, the Vampira vid kicks arse, so effects CAN be done on a budget.

#131446 by Subcutaneous Phat
Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:44 pm
Yeah the vampira video rules. It's just funny as fuck. Still don't think they should've released it as Synchestra's first single though, doesn't do the album justice at all.