Who's behind the door... who's behind the door?

What is your favourite song from Accelerated Evolution?

6%
9%
9%
2%
2%
15%
15%
6%
6%
2%
2%
4%
4%
3%
3%
5%
5%

#391 by *~Marie~*
Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:27 pm
As tough as this one is, I think I'll also have to go with 'Away'. It literally blew my mind the first time I heard it... And every other time...

Not to mention that seeing Dev playing it literally one foot in front of me ruled immensely.

#394 by Catatonik
Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:55 pm
Random Analysis. That song hit home for me. The lyrics could have been written from my lifes perspective and it is the tune that I most often sing along to. (Noting that I am not much of a vocalist, so I tend not to sing along to music unless no one else can hear me.)

Slow Me Down is a tight second.

#411 by Guest
Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 am
That's really hard to choose as I always listen to whole record each time I put it on ... But I must admit that "Away" shows another side of Devin's guitar playing . This song is pink floydesque in my opinion ...

Geoff

#441 by kettle
Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:09 am
Storm. I think because the vocals are stood out from the wall of sound more clearly than on other songs. It feels more fragile and risky, a bit like one would feel if you were to wander around on a hill top in a storm. I imagine a Mr. Townsend singing his heart out, swinging his umbrella about with little care for electrical or emotional consequences.
To me I think it captures the place people have to go to when searching for the reasons they are with the person they love and would really not want to be without that person.
The actual dangerous bit in the song is probably the feeling that the storm has been brewing for months or years and sooner or later you have to go outside and answer its questions as naked and vunerable that may make you feel.
A possible ending is that you answer the questions to find out that this time nature, the world, the storm resolves the situation with the biggest lightning bolt of pain you ever felt. You would literally feel as if your love had been "shot down in cold blood".
My translation is that the "shot down in cold blood" sample is just a fear of the cruel nature of the world, rather than a real event and so the author gets to return from the storm a little worse for wear, but reasured that as two people, they seem to be weather proof.

hmm. IMO etc.
he he.
I love the whole album.

#444 by Cargo
Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:18 am
Where's the love for Sunday Afternoon? It's got the most simple yet most beautiful gut renching riff I've ever heard!

#449 by kettle
Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:09 am
geoff wrote:That's really hard to choose as I always listen to whole record each time I put it on ... But I must admit that "Away" shows another side of Devin's guitar playing . This song is pink floydesque in my opinion ...

Geoff

I like to think that Mr. Vai would take a long listen to "Away" and put in some of whatever Mr. Townsend seems to just exist with.
(I don't feel that good having typed that.)

a thing I love about "Away" is the vocal at the end. I think that Mr. Townsend could create a record that would more than satisfy a Jeff Buckley fan. Not that there are not Buckley fans who are Devin fans, I just mean that along with the ambient direction for an album, a vocal orientated album that would go to similarly dark places that JB's "Grace" went. I would't want it to be a copy, I would just like to hear what Devin would make of the "small town" that Buckley visited in Grace as well as perhaps what a Buckley record would sound like if it went to the "CITY"

I think that "thing beyond things" points in a direction that a dark and very spacious vocal record could be.

#505 by Oscar
Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:18 am
It's Suicide for me, by a SLIM margin.. I love them all pretty much, except maybe Traveller.
I heard a bodgy bootleg from Munich where Dev sang thirds at the end of Storm instead of fifths above the root. Sounded amazing :)

#563 by xanrastafari
Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:45 am
Well I agree with Devy about the best song. Or he agrees with me. :lol:

#580 by Guest
Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:05 am
i like every song on that album, hearing the intro for depth charge for the first time had me hooked instantly, but deadhead wins my vote, so much emotional power in that song.

#587 by SlayerStu
Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:13 am
I have had to go with Away. The first time I ever heard it was live at the London mean fiddler, very nigh on a year ago now! My jaw dropped when I heard it and it takes me on a slightly different emotional journey every time I hear it. On the strength of this track alone I went out and bought AE as soon as I saw it in my local HMV :lol:

#700 by danceswithchickens
Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:29 am
Depth Charge, futhamucka. That song has it all. Sunday Afternoon wins a close second for sure...what a beautiful chorus...

#712 by Guest
Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 am
Sorry pard I was obliged to vote for Storm as it contains IMO the best vocal performance from Devin, as well as the most emotional.. Other point: I am sensible about the topic... have a lady that i care about for 8 years now and so this song has a special meaning to US. :oops:

#860 by Toozey
Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:55 pm
I think I'll have to go with Suicide on this one.

#914 by Guest
Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:41 pm
Hey everybody here seems to enjoy this album and you only have 5% of people that consider this record like their favourite (on the other poll ...)
That's weird !!!
:?

Geoff

#916 by Reaper-Man-666
Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:43 pm
Sunday Afternoon's my fave song! Love playing along to it (not properly, but thinking I can) on my Squier. Really gets me in a happy mood and gets me ready for another joyous day at College, acting! :D