The message is: THERE IS NO MESSAGE
#61457 by Snaga
Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:17 am
wuts up guys.
So this is kind of a physicist/Terria question. At the end of tiny tears Devy sings 'kurie eleison' which means god bless in greek.
Now, does anyone know what Devin means by Namaste? Because "na'maste", which is actually 2 words in greek means 'hear we are.' the lyrics to Namaste kind of make sense that way, but Namaste in the song may mean something completely different.
This isn't really a big deal, but i'm just curious.. anyone know what is meant by namaste in the song?

#61458 by Snaga
Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:19 am
oops, na'maste means "here we are", not "hear we are".. my bad

#61460 by IBrokeAString
Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:27 am
isn't NAMASTE also a Hinduist greeting?

http://www.exoticindiaart.com/article/namaste

#61463 by Guest
Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:12 am
Namaste is a yoga position :

"Literally, “I bow to you.” Used as a respectful greeting and also to mean thank you. When you say namaste in thanking your teacher at the end of class, you press your palms together (also called Anjali mudra) at your heart or your third eye (middle of the forehead) and bow your head. Although namaste is the greeting and Anjali mudra the position of the hands, they are often conflated and Anjali mudra has come to be called namaste position or prayer position. However, the position need not be associated with Western ideas about prayer"

:zen:

#61476 by hairy
Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:36 am
If I'm right, during the writing process, the song was called "Mama's days".
this is serious.

#61477 by IBrokeAString
Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:40 am
*screams*
rrrememberr maaamaaaa's dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyys!!!

hey, it works! :lol:

#61535 by simen_88
Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:48 pm
Oh my fucking gods, that sounds terrible! And namaste is indeed a greeting. It means something along the lines of "I recognize the divine in both of us, and I respect it".

#61547 by psychotic
Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:17 pm
Of course, I could just go ahead and bring up what was brought up in the last conversation on Namaste, the Simpsons reference. Anyway, I've also heard something along the lines of it meaning something about the light of the world shining on you. I really don't know, just seems like it has an awful lot of meanings.

#61669 by Metalmonkey
Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:05 pm
IBrokeAString wrote:*screams*
rrrememberr maaamaaaa's dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyys!!!

hey, it works! :lol:

:lol: i'm gonna hear that eveytime i listen to the song now!!

#61699 by Woocifer
Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:09 pm
I bow to the devine in you.

And actually I think the song was supposed to be called Eating Cake

REMEMBER EATINNGGGGG CAAAAAAAAEEEEEEK

#61897 by gurp13
Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:39 pm
From The Catholic Encyclopedia (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08714a.htm)...
"Kyrie Eleison (Greek for "Lord have mercy"; the Latin transliteration supposes a pronunciation as in Modern Greek) is a very old, even pre-Christian, expression used constantly in all Christian liturgies. Arrian quotes it in the second century: "Invoking God we say Kyrie Eleison" (Diatribæ Epicteti, II, 7). A more obvious precedent for Christian use was the occurrence of the same formula in the Old Testament (Psalm 4:2, 6:3, 9:14, 25:11, 121:3; Isaias 33:2; Tobit 8:10; etc., in the Septuagint). In these places it seems already to be a quasi-liturgical exclamation. So also in the New Testament the form occurs repeatedly (Matthew 9:27, 20:30, 15:22; Mark 10:47; Luke 16:24, 17:13). The only difference is that all these cases have an accusative after the verb: Kyrie eleison me, or eleison hemas. The liturgical forumula is shortened from this."

Maybe that helps? :-)

What it all means, I'm not sure. But, I'm fairly certain that if Devin is taking a very common Catholic phrase and putting it in a song that he knows what it means. What it means to us, now, is the question.

#72015 by powercozmic
Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:05 pm
I belong to south India.
Namaste means "Greetings" in a lot of Indian languages. And "OM" is ancient hindu meditational chanting in praise of God.
Dunno what Dev had in mind - the Indian namaste or the Greek one.

#72023 by Devinaddicted_Nils
Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:10 am
there's also a greeting that's called Namaskar or something like that. This honours the one you're talking to quite more than Namaste.

#72156 by simen_88
Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:19 pm
I thought that if you want to honor the person, you bend your head so much your hands touch your forehead? And if you're talking to a god, you touch the top of your head?