The message is: THERE IS NO MESSAGE
#66163 by ForceFed
Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:21 pm
I think this is my favorite Devin song overall. Very powerful overall, not a dull moment. Where it really hits me is during the middle bit that begins with Dev singing the "ooooh oooh oooh" part, and then as it goes into the rant-ish section; one of the most moving pieces of music i've ever heard. And the lyrics I really like, especially during the rant, and the line "Corona without a lime." I don't know, that last line is genius in my opinion.

#66195 by psychotic
Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:38 pm
Great song, I agree that it's very powerful, easily among my favorite songs on Terria (which is my favorite Devin album all together), I love the melody to it as well as the parts where he screams, and just overall it's an amazing song. Hard hitting but with an extreme sense of sensitivity, as I said, an amazing song.

#66209 by Devinaddicted_Nils
Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:17 pm
this is also my fave Devsong...dunno why...I listened to it hundreds of times...and still find something new...I love this one...reminds me on some great times...

I'm happy that I'm not the only one who loves this song most of all...as most of the Dev-Fans seem to like songs like Christeen more...

#66237 by Blazingmonga
Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:50 am
This is an incredible song.

It just has all the typical Devy goodness that we are used to. I like how the song starts with an almost 'punk' or 'poppy' sort of feel, but changes so much from that throughout the song. The ending of the song is a million miles from the start, musically. Some of the screams of 'fluke' or 'freak' really get me aswell.

Good stuff!

-David

#66278 by ForceFed
Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:28 am
Devinaddicted_Nils wrote:this is also my fave Devsong...dunno why...I listened to it hundreds of times...and still find something new...I love this one...reminds me on some great times...

I'm happy that I'm not the only one who loves this song most of all...as most of the Dev-Fans seem to like songs like Christeen more...

Yeah that does seem to be the case. No offense to those songs though, obviously very good, but there seems to be alot more substance to a song like The Fluke, or as another example, The Death Of Music.

Anyone have theories about the actual meaning of certain parts of it? I mean generally I can understand where he's coming from, but the line "And i'm not unafraid but no longer afraid of you anymore." makes me wonder. Who is this "you" he is refering to? Is it maybe himself before the medication, and that sort of made him feel like a completely different person? I don't know, but that one line intrigues me deeply.

#66302 by HevyMinik
Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:24 am
I looooove the last part of the song, where Dev begins to sing these lines:

"Writing and eating and shitting and sleeping
In rain or in shine masturbate ’till I’m blind.
In the cause and effect of the one troubled segment
Of time and the place and the look on your face.

And I write and I eat and I shit and I sleep
Yes, I eat leafy greens nearly three times a week.
And I’m not unafraid but no longer afraid of you
Anymore!"

Sounds sooo friggin' great!

M.

#66307 by Olive?
Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:43 am
One of the best songs EVER.

AWESOME!

#66414 by GDiddy
Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:59 pm
I like the lyrics, and the music during the chorus. But I think this song is the one song on this album that could be considered "cheesy" in terms of the rest of the main musical section. From the beginning, it sounds like a run of the mill pop rock song, which is very unlike most music written by townsend. I have this same opinion of the last 3 or 4 tunes on the Accelerated Evolution cd. I like the tune overall, but I'm not sure it flows well with the others.

#66893 by the-fluke
Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:08 pm
Whoah! This is my favorite song on my favorite Devin album. Terria always cheers me up and I always look forward to listening to this song. Its not 'cheesy' at all in my opinion, it's one of those songs that sticks out from the rest of the album. There are no 'cheesy Devin Townsend songs!

#66965 by Archetype
Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:51 am
The Fluke is my favorite song on Terria, and it's definately in my top 3 favorite songs from Devin Townsend.
It's aggresive and poppy at the same time, as well as very progressive with all the countless breaks and tempo changes.
I love it; shame he never plays it live.

#67126 by ForceFed
Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:33 pm
Archetype wrote:I love it; shame he never plays it live.

So he's not once ever played it live? That is a shame, seems like it would work perfectly live.

#67546 by EphelDuath666
Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:20 pm
Oh yeah yeah yeah...I LOVE that song as well. One of the most listened Devy songs for me. The na na na na na part at about 2:35 (I think) is so fucking awesome! I always thought that this part would be excellent to listen to while in space and a bunch of comets are passing by. Nope, I didn´t smoke anything.

#67623 by steve_dave
Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:39 am
it's my favourite dev song too. everytime i hear to build up (into the last chorus maybe?) with the keyboards and the guitars just going higher and higher (hope i described that well enough) i can't help but beam... i'd kill for him to do it live... must be a reason why he doesn't.

#67640 by FlatHead
Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:15 am
HevyMinik wrote:"Writing and eating and shitting and sleeping
In rain or in shine masturbate ’till I’m blind.
In the cause and effect of the one troubled segment
Of time and the place and the look on your face.

And I write and I eat and I shit and I sleep
Yes, I eat leafy greens nearly three times a week.
And I’m not unafraid but no longer afraid of you
Anymore!"

Thank you! I've been wondering what the exact lyrics were for that, for a long time. Funny thing is, now that I now what he's saying the words sound pretty clear :)

#67642 by King Fear
Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:18 am
It's not my fav Dev song or even my fav song on Terria, but it's the one that represents Terria best if you had to pick just one song to introduce the album to someone who hasn't heard it before (even though it's the fastest song on the album and stands out a bit as such). It's got almost all elements on a single-song scale that make Terria the masterpiece it is on a grand scale.