The message is: THERE IS NO MESSAGE
#72014 by powercozmic
Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:56 pm
I've posted this question a number of times before and am willing to do so a million times before i get the answer.
At the very end of Mountain, there's a strange ( oriental ? ) song playing in the background with the fading guitar solo. Who did this song ? Dev ? If not who else ? Somebody help.

#72021 by FlatHead
Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:48 pm
I hear something that sounds like Japanese speech, but not really a song. Could you point us to an exact time in the song to better understand what you mean?

#72022 by powercozmic
Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:07 am
The last 30 seconds. And it's definitely someone singing. About 4 lines definitely not English more like japanese or far eastern.

#72060 by Olive?
Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:34 am
powercozmic wrote:The last 30 seconds. And it's definitely someone singing. About 4 lines definitely not English more like japanese or far eastern.

I agree, but I have no idea about the language (that seems an oriental one) and (obviously) about the meaning...

#72077 by psychotic
Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:29 pm
Yeah, I know what you're talking about, but I really can't help you. Just thought I'd post that so you know I'm not ignoring you or anything though.

#72250 by Terraformer
Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:30 pm
Referring to Dev it's some kind of cantoneese commercial or something.
I'm not sure, but I think he told this when talking about the becoming
of Terria on the Terria Limited Edition additional disk. Anyway, he just
choose it cause it sounded cool...It's all just ambient stuff...of which he
always uses a lot...

#73445 by Mordecai
Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:25 am
I was about to make a thread about this very same thing. It sounds to me like the voice is saying 'come, show to me the sea.. whos underneath?' or something along those lines. It's probably not even english though. Either way it sounds like a really nice song and i really want to find it.

On my mp3 version of the song it occurs first at 5:30 then again at 5:59.

:roll:

#76488 by simen_88
Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:26 am
Mordecai wrote:I was about to make a thread about this very same thing. It sounds to me like the voice is saying 'come, show to me the sea.. whos underneath?' or something along those lines. It's probably not even english though. Either way it sounds like a really nice song and i really want to find it.

On my mp3 version of the song it occurs first at 5:30 then again at 5:59.

:roll:
5:59? My version stops at 5:31

#79014 by Mordecai
Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:19 am
yeah it plays once then goes away... then it comes back again around 7-8 seconds later.

get it?

#83738 by Eyesore
Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:49 pm
Devin has said in the past that while in Japan he often records weird Japanese TV shows and videos, he later sometimes uses them in songs. This is most likely where this material came from and I'd bet money that there is virtually no way to determine what it actually is.

#101731 by Naffis-kun
Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:29 am
The beat and the whole feeling of the song is heavy. In a weighty way.
Especially after the calm part the beat gets so heavy that it gives me chills every time. And the rhythmical twist.

I'm not good at guessing the meanings of certain songs.
But to me it feels as if Mountain was about struggling and overcoming obstacles.

#101881 by Deathcom7000
Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:34 pm
Could it be the same language at the end of Canada?

#101888 by gurp13
Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:30 am
Naffis-kun wrote:The beat and the whole feeling of the song is heavy. In a weighty way.
Especially after the calm part the beat gets so heavy that it gives me chills every time. And the rhythmical twist.

I'm not good at guessing the meanings of certain songs.
But to me it feels as if Mountain was about struggling and overcoming obstacles.

I think it also refers more specifically to death, and even more specifically, to the death of his dog, Happy. Elsewhere it's been mentioned, in the commentary made to go with Terria, I think, that Devin recorded Happy howling at dinner time. That's in the mix of the song. Also, the song specifically says "I've spent too many hours with medication and a dog."

"It's just another mountain!"

So, yeah, I agree with you about the overcoming obstacles thing. :)

#102966 by Matthijs K.
Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:32 am
The outro to Mountain is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever recorded, imo. Just this fading soundscape, those swirling guitars. The voice always makes me feel melacholic too, quite weird if you think about it. I don't even know what's being said, and if it's indeed a commercial.... And the opening chord of Earth Day makes me jump everytime :) I just fully drown in the outro and then that big sound kicks in again. Pure magic.