The message is: THERE IS NO MESSAGE
#78013 by funny_little_guy
Thu May 19, 2005 12:59 am
I just found an old news story about the release of Terria on http://www.braveworlds.com that goes like this.
DEVIN TOWNSEND?s new album, Terria, will be finished by mid-June. He is very pleased with how it turned out and has described it as "what Ocean Machine was to water, Terria is to Earth" as well as "it is what Infinity would sound like if it blew up." InsideOut Music in Europe will be releasing a limited edition book version with extra artwork and video clips in August with the formal release set for September. The album will be released on InsideOut/SPV Europe, Sony Records in Japan and Roadrunner in Australia. Distributors for Canada are yet to be confirmed. The tracklisting: ?Mountain?, ?Canada?, ?Earth Day?, ?Olives?, ?Deep Peace?, ?Nobody?s Here?, ?Down And Under?, ?The Fluke?, ?Tiny Tears?, ?Stagnant?, ?Notes From Africa? and ?Universal?.In related news, Devin will begin a European tour in June around and including the summer festivals. The tour will begin by supporting the WILDHEARTS reunion tour in the UK and follow with a headlining tour of Europe and three festivals. He is touring with his band from STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, Gene Hoglan, Jed Simon and Byron Stroud. This tour will not include Terria material but a planned follow-up tour in October will. Tours of Australia and Japan are also in the works for August but no dates are set at this time.

Look at the tracklist, i dont thik it's supposed to be in order but I'm sure I've never heard of a song called Notes From Africa before. Anyone know anything about this?

#78014 by Coma Divine
Thu May 19, 2005 1:16 am
I remember that. Way back in '01 I was hunting high and low for it on a certain p2p...though I'd heard it called simply "Africa". Once I'd bought Terria I figured it was just another possibility that got lost within a crack in the space-time continuum...

#78016 by funny_little_guy
Thu May 19, 2005 2:18 am
Damn that blasted continum. It just seems strange that a track would just dissapear and not turn up on at least an Ass-sorted Demos collection or something.

#78024 by Blazingmonga
Thu May 19, 2005 6:35 am
I think this was indeed just another track that never saw the light of day, though we may never know if any of the ideas from it were used anywhere else.

One interesting thing to note (and I am sure I am not the only person who has seen this), if you visit Travis Smith's amazing website at http://www.seempieces.com and check out the gallery for Devin Townsend, you can see the artwork from the Terria album. Each piece of art has a title, and the title given to the following piece (which is in the inside cover of the Digipack, not sure about the jewel case release) is......Notes from Africa!

http://www.seempieces.com/gallery/devin ... devin4.jpg

From what I remember (I think Devin speaks of this on the Terria commentary), Travis was involved with the creative process right from the start. The images he created were inspired by the music....so perhaps he heard Notes from Africa at the demo stage? Lucky bugger! Ha.

But you all knew this already probably.

#78075 by funny_little_guy
Sat May 21, 2005 5:52 am
From what I remember (I think Devin speaks of this on the Terria commentary), Travis was involved with the creative process right from the start. The images he created were inspired by the music....so perhaps he heard Notes from Africa at the demo stage? Lucky bugger! Ha.

Not to get to over involved with this whole thing but is it possible to contact the Travis? We'd probally get a faster reply from him than from Devin about this track.

#78415 by funny_little_guy
Fri May 27, 2005 1:41 am
Just read the newest post from The Dev and it seems Notes From Africa will now be on the next dtb record! I really diddnt see that one coming, so we will get to hear it, it hasnt been lost through the cracks. I wonder still why it was cut from Terria in the first place then? If its good enough to release now. Mabye it fits better or something, anyway just thought I put that in before anyone replyed with 'Hey I wonder if were ever going to be able to hear it?'..... Yay!

#78744 by Blazingmonga
Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:54 am
I was so glad to read that! I can't wait to hear it.

Unless Devin says something specific, we may never know why it wasn't included on Terria. Terria manages fine with the tracks it does have though.

Fantastico!

#78750 by beavis christ
Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:32 am
I just Dev a couple days ago about why it wasnt on Terria, and he said it just didnt fit with the vibe of the rest ot the album.

#78754 by funny_little_guy
Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:40 am
That was my guess, I wonder what kind of vibe it has then? I wonder how different it is from the rest of the stuff on Terria, I mean if it fits in the new DTB then I'd imagine quite different but then again it cant be that different or it would've never been part of Terria in the first place. Hmmmm things to ponder these are

#79027 by Greg Reason
Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:38 am
It seems like it would be a happyish piece, if the tracklisting given in that article is correct. It is sandwiched between Stagnant, a very uplifting major-key song and Universal, another distinctly uplifting song.

#79036 by niklang
Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:06 am
Dev says in his talk of the new stuff that some of the songs or ideas for songs have been around since Infinity era Dev. Guess there maybe references to all of his past work in the new album.

Cool to see this track re-appear, when i saw the song title on the new album i thought it rang a distant bell in my head.

#83737 by Eyesore
Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:46 pm
beavis christ wrote:I just Dev a couple days ago about why it wasnt on Terria, and he said it just didnt fit with the vibe of the rest ot the album.

Both Devin and Tracy said back a few years ago that he'd never even finished the song during the Terria sessions.

#85680 by Drumdude13
Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:01 pm
Notes from Africa.......

What can I say....the song is amazing ! It's one of my fave tracks off of Synchestra ! It's got an amazing rhythm thru the whole song.

I heard the same thing that Beavis did from Dev......Dev messed around with it before but could'nt find the right vibe for it, so he left it off the album. Years and years later.......We ended up jamming it and it fit into the Synchestra vibe perfectly ! I'm extremely happy that it made Synchestra, cuz this song is fucking rad !!!!!

RVP

#85696 by funny_little_guy
Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:48 am
Everytime I hear more about this song I just get more and more exited! serioulsy can't wait to hear it, sounds amazing.