The message is: THERE IS NO MESSAGE
#81240 by dedrexel
Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:42 pm
Does anyone have the song "Universal" from the second disc of the Terria SE? This has to be the only Dev track that I haven't heard so someone has to tell me what it's all about. \m/

#81242 by Hellhammer
Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:47 pm
Well.. Mine is the one disc version and it's on mine. But anyways, I really love Universal, it's like this nice acoustic piece at first, then it turns into this weird hypnotic thing. Get it however you can, it's worth a listen.

#81264 by King Fear
Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:45 am
Hellhammer wrote:Well.. Mine is the one disc version and it's on mine. But anyways, I really love Universal, it's like this nice acoustic piece at first, then it turns into this weird hypnotic thing. Get it however you can, it's worth a listen.

That's NOT "Universal", that's "Humble".
"Universal" is ONLY on the two-disc versions (i.e. digipak and tour edition) and the Japanese version.

To answer the original question, it's a full song with rock band instrumentation (distorted guitars, vocals and all), however, I feel it's distinctly different from the rest of the Terria material. AFAIK, it was finished at a later date than the rest of the session, so there's definitely a little different vibe there, (and a relatively positive, happy one at that). Good song, a little weaker than the rest on the masterpiece that is Terria though, and as such, a fitting "bonus" track.

#81266 by TeamJonny
Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:23 am
Step into the universal groove

#81327 by asparagusDuck
Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:17 am
so come on let me hear ya say hey!
HEY!
so come on let me hear ya say so long!
SO LONG!
so come on let me hear ya say (cant remember)
(cant remember)!
So come on let me show you MY BALLS MOTHERFUCKER!!!

man i love that part.

#81334 by psychotic
Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:41 pm
I love the song. It is much different than the rest of the stuff on Terria though, I've heard it described on this board and many other places as something that would fit more on Infinity, and I guess that's a pretty good description, the vibe does fit there better, but it's really hard to say exactly what the song's like, just a normal (for Devy) song I guess.

#81336 by Chris
Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:04 pm
I don't know if it was done later than the songs that finally appeared on Terria (although it must have been done during the same recording sessions, or am I totally wrong here?), but I remember Dev saying that he thought it was just not as good as the other stuff that made it on the record.

Damn you guys, now I have the guitar part from the song's very beginning in my head and it won't go away!!! - But some weeks ago this place was taken by 50 Cent's Candy Shop, so I'll stop complaining...

#81500 by dedrexel
Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:17 pm
Oh yeah. Just found it. Cool song. More of an Infinity vibe than Terria though. The Dire/Consequence reprise section when it comes back in is awesome. How did I miss this track for all these years?!?

#81502 by Chris
Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:09 am
dedrexel wrote:Oh yeah. Just found it. Cool song. More of an Infinity vibe than Terria though. The Dire/Consequence reprise section when it comes back in is awesome. How did I miss this track for all these years?!?

Yeah, later on when all the keys get loud, it really has an Infinity touch, I think I felt that since the very first time I listened to Universal.

#83604 by chrisslight
Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:50 pm
iTunes named what it seems is now Humble universal for me, so look out itunes users.

#83736 by Eyesore
Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:43 pm
Universal has a southern bluesy sound to me! It's so good! I agree, it would have bee out of place on the main Terria CD, but alone it's great!! Infinity would have been a good album for that song.

#84050 by gurp13
Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:40 pm
chrisslight wrote:iTunes named what it seems is now Humble universal for me, so look out itunes users.

Yeah, but don't blame iTunes, exactly. That info comes from the Gracenote database. And, you gotta watch that stuff. I can't tell you the number of times I get track names off that and they're wrong or mispelled or whatever. It pisses me off. 'Course, you know what really pisses me off? That all of the tracks come with the artist listed first name last name. Now, who alphabetizes this way? Come on! Every goddamn rekkid store I've been in alphabetizes last name, first name. Not one of us would go looking for Devin Townsend in the "D" section! So, why would I want my music library organized that way?

Oh, sorry. I ranted. I'll clean up.

#85095 by BaldMosher446
Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:51 am
Universal is a badass song. The intro building into it is pretty nasty. When it actually cuts in, it has somewhat of an Earth Day vibe to it, or it does to me at least.