The message is: THERE IS NO MESSAGE
#89129 by MrMetal
Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:43 pm
Hello everyone!

Does anyone know what microphone / preamp / compressor setup Devin used on Terria?

I mean the vocalsound is just amazing!!! Of course his singing is Godlike, but I really dig the "mikesound". Especially in "Deep Peace"you can hear the smooth highs and the fat lows.

I myself am buying a microphone and preamp/compressor setup, so I desperately would like to know this, it could affect my buying decision :)

p.s. Any recommendations are welcome too, if you know any good ones.

#90785 by DeadRinger
Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:18 pm
No clue on the mic setup and hardware, but you must be aware that the vocals are layered A LOT and he also puts a synth pad mimicing the vocal melody behind it. Maybe several of those too. It's a really fat sound, and it works.

Just keep layering those tracks...yowza!

#90965 by MrMetal
Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:58 pm
Yep, I understand that there´s lots of layering, but there is also just solo vocal parts like the beginning in Deep Peace, you know "It´s alright to cry...".
It´s really detailed and warm sound, gotta love it. I wish I knew what he used.

But if anyone has any experiences with good mikes or preamps/compressors, recommendations/info would be appreciated!

That synth pad thingy sounds interesting...

#90969 by Greg Reason
Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:31 pm
I really like Rode mics. They're pretty cheap considering how good they are and they sound fucking awesome. I'd say they're your best bet until you have fuckin tons of money to spend on Neumans. You could get a K2, which is a kickin condensor with a tube in it, for under a thousand Australian dollars if you hunted around. Bargain.

As far as pres go, Devin said recently that he uses a Focusrite preamp before going to the mixing desk... So at least you know for sure what outboard gear he uses there.

#91140 by MrMetal
Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:03 am
I´m already thinking about Focusrite Liquid Channel, maybe any mic will sound good with that :)

I´ve heard lot of good things about Rode mics too, but money is no object here (well about 2000 euros is the budjet). I need to find the perfect one for my voice. I guess Neumann is very common choice and perhaps a good choice, but which model, there´s so many. Well the hunt contiunes...

#91188 by The Incision
Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:45 am
dev totally boosts the high end of the vocal channel & scoops out all the lows. All highs
-brent 8)

#91274 by HevyMinik
Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:04 am
We have a Focusrite Octopre in the studio and a Rode NT-2. Works great together.

But I wish I had a Neumann U-87!!! :)

#91322 by DeadRinger
Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:38 pm
If you have a large budget then definitely go for a Neumann tube mic...like U87 or something of the like.

Good luck.

#91951 by earworm
Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:36 pm
My favorite vocal mic is the sony c800g, its awesome, just kind of expensive http://www.frontendaudio.com/Sony_C800G ... p/3362.htm I don't think you could go wrong with one.

#92999 by amstudios
Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:13 pm
hi, well if u watched the SYL dvd 'making of Alien' and where Devin does his vocals in his home studio 'The Chunk' you can actually see what mic pre amps he has, its a focusrite ISA series pre amp! The best quality ever! and if you also look at the clips where his singing in the booth, he has two mics setup, not sure what mics they are but you can clearly see two mics.

http://www.focusrite.com/products.asp?iRange=2