The message is: THERE IS NO MESSAGE

#104069 by psychopitchfork
Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:45 pm
It makes me think of the land, earth, nature, woods i grew up with, places in life i know, the past, a kind of warm dark green vibe.

I'M NOT CRAZY!

#114209 by the_scoon
Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:53 am
I find it depends what mood I'm in initially. Most of the time it intensifies that emotion. Canada is a song I only ever get good vibes from though, and no one has mentioned that song. I do agree that it is a good album to listen to on those gloomy stormy days.

#114535 by Cav
Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:33 am
Deathcom7000 wrote:
fragility wrote:
asparagusDuck wrote:'its beautiful the way its supposed to be
Beautiful...but it don't do shit for me'

I love that line in Stagnant

Agreed!

Triple that

Quadruple that bugger!

I totally agree with many of you about the struggle between happiness and sadness in Terria, I get the same thing too. It feels to me that the album is very much about reaching a point in your life where you realize you have to reconcile the two somehow, and how the attempt to do so affects you. It's an album that displays anger, joy, melancholy and wistfulness against a huge, epic backdrop - suddenly you see the 'bigger picture' as you start to grow up and discover that you have a responsibility to find your place in the world, and the first stage of that process is to conquer yourself.

The year the album was released was the start of a similar process for me - over the next few years I'd go through a serious depression, lose my dad, find myself on the path towards a career I knew I hated (Teaching), and make some of the closest friendships I'd ever known, and eventually lose many of them. I met my best friend during this period, and subsequently saw her move to another city, with sustained by occasional contact.

All in all, it's been a real schizophrenic few years, and Terria has soundtracked it perfectly. It's the perfect album for when you're in your late 20s (As I was at the time), for I think it's about upheaval more than anything; the massive changes you entertain in life, and trying to maintain some kind of emotional equilibrium throughout. It's a theme which is continued in Dev's subsequent albums, particularly Synchestra (Which I personally believe is almost a continuation of Terria, in sound and themes).