The message is: THERE IS NO MESSAGE

#135185 by the_scoon
Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:27 am
Three simple words: He's just jealous.

#135189 by AccEvolution
Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:39 am
Classic prog fanboys are some of the most closed minded cockstains to walk the planet.

EDIT: And I post on the Dream Theater forums, so I've seen my share of prog cockstainery. :P

#135269 by Das Schuetzenfest
Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:20 am
UncleTonyP wrote:at first he didnt like it, but in between listens, he felt that he should listen to it again, as if something was drawing him to it.

Sounds like my Ocean Machine experience in 1997. I liked "Greetings" instantly, but the overall sound was too odd at first. But after three listens at the record store it clicked.

Oh yes, quite the same with the song "SYL" a bit earlier.
#144208 by Zyprexa
Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:51 pm
Silly Man wrote:This music describes the best what is a monolithic electric guitar! I have never heard a more monolithic electric rhythmic guitar than on this record: that's completely ridiculous!

Wow, a reviewer who doesn't know the difference between the past and the present tense! And our Junior Cert history book had a paragraph in bold font stating that the people of the monolithic eras preference of big rocks to electricity..

Neanderthal wrote:This brutal guitar is so distorted and polluted with tons of useless effects that it takes all the available room! As if it was not enough, the musician seems to take a huge pleasure to exaggeratedly sustain each note, a painful torment for the ears!

Surely the person playing the guitar is brutal, unless he's suggesting the guitar has a mind of its own.. what? I thought the Y2K risk was eradicated!! And music occupies physical space now?? And I was blindly disillusioned into believing that sustaining a note created a relaxing ambience for anyone other than old men who can only listen to gramaphones and whiney-voiced old coots singing about their days at the disco..

I Shouldn't Review Music Of A Genre I Clearly Amn't In To wrote:The rhythmic guitar is COMPLETELY unmelodious. The lead vocals are just simply too angry and aggressive for me. When the lead vocals are more mellow, they amazingly remind me David Gilmour and James LaBrie. There are some good acoustic guitar parts. There are some unconvincing TV or radio sounds, a much worse copy of Roger Waters' effects: they seem too coarsely produced. You can hear some whales-like sounds. There are some rare good passages, so that, globally, this record is not worth a complete listen.

Somebody above wondered if we were listening to the same album, and around this point I start wondering if it's a review of a Cradle of Filth LP.. Dev perhaps COULD be compared to some of the more.. outstanding.. Floyd, simply because they like to float in and out in places like he does, but I reckon it's really more the Sid Barrett era than the Gilmour one.. At least this bit wasn't an all-out nonsensical rant. Did this guy ever hear of paragraphs?

Grammatically Retarded wrote:The only track that retained more my attention is "Deep peace", starting with an imitation of David Gilmour's voice; an Oldfield-esque guitar solo then begins, followed by an Hillage-esque one, featuring his spacy ambience from the "Green" album; then, it changes to a VERY modest & much slower attempt to emulate the symphonic Yngwie Malmsteen himself. This VERY rebel music is probably perfect for the young people who like disturbing moods.

Devin doesn't imitate anyone, let's just get this straight before we continue. A very unlikely band to compare Dev to would be Pink Floyd, I reckon. They're very different genres, they're very different temperments. But at least this gobshite's stopped ranting. Until the last line. Teehee. Because mister Townsend has NO intellectual connections in his music that angsty teenagers wouldn't have the capacity or, come to think or it, worldly knowledge to comprehend.. And if he thinks THIS is Devin being a rebellious musician he should get an earful of the Strapping Young Lads..

The Verdict wrote:Rating: 1.5 star

That's a mark out of 1.5, I assume.

#144237 by toad
Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:03 am
It's really quite amazing how someone can find Deep Peace, of all songs, "rebel" and "disturbing". As for the rest of the "review" - that's the confusion one gets by getting stuck with a handful of gurus and comparing everything he comes upon with them. I actually feel a little bit sorry for the fellow and his small mind. Seems like he's not able to connect to the wonderful music by just letting go and feeling it, which for me is at least as important as the technical and theoretical aspects of all music. Especially so with Dev.

#149964 by Beelzebobo
Sun May 20, 2007 12:43 pm
Wow, I'm a prog reviewer on progarchives (as 1800iareyay), and it never cesaes to amaze me what some people post believing themselves to be intelligent and insightful. Devin Townsend sounds nothing like James LaBrie. LaBrie has a nasal, high pitch that sounds like Geoff Tate getting hit below the belt (I love DT, but let's be honest). Devin has SIGNIFICANTLY more range, power, and emotion, plus he can actually pen songs.

I've someimes compared The Dev's guitar work on Deep Peace to Gilmour, but never vocals. Devin's voice is far better. It achieves the same ambient feeling without effects. Gilmour is a decent vocalist, but the two are very dissimilar.

#156240 by Arkane Magik
Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:33 pm
I've heard Gilmour like vocals on some of Devin's songs but not Deep Peace. I hate music reviews though, they always just bitch about every little thing. I have decided that all music reviewers suck after reading some Jeff Beck reviews in rolling stone. And this, this is blasphemy. Very reble music, what the heck does that mean.

#163890 by Janny
Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:04 am
Wow! That review is probably the funniest thing I've read this month! Thanks a lot for cheering me up :).
It inspired me to, once again, RECYCLEEEEEEEE!!!!!

I don't even know if it is true but that review is most likely the result of chemicals. A lot of them.

#164017 by XIII
Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:47 am
I've said it before and I'll say it again. A good 90% of music critics are failed musicians.

What they'll do is... every time a band that inspired them to be musicians makes an album releases a new or greatest hits album, 5 stars.

They'll find out what kind of music their favorite band likes, and rate it highly. For example, I don't know Devin personally but I managed to find out that he's a fan of Opeth. So, for example, I'd rate an Opeth album highly.

Everything that sounds good but they've never heard of gets 2 stars. Everything that sounds up-and-coming they rate poorly. Cuz they're threatened by that.

Don't take critics' reviews personally. They're failed musicians, and deserve more pity than anything else.

#164238 by powercozmic
Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:35 am
I think the reviewer is 10 years old with a CD collection of about a dozen - mostly pink floyd and malmsteen. Moron.

Terria is THE most beautiful music made by man. EVER.
#167215 by Matt Nevens
Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:04 am
That rweview was bullshit, he obviously didnt listn to it with an open mind, and indeed, he is obviously a spam fritter and is probably about as attractive as the wrong end of a dog
#167343 by Sanjuro
Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:03 pm
I review on ProgArchives, and I saw that when I went to review Terria. Motherfucker totally missed the point. Given how he barely talks about the songs, I'm banking that he didn't even listen to the whole thing and just posted this. I mean, he calls it rebel music, then proceeds to say that basically Devin ripped off a bunch of stuffy old English proggers. Steve Hillage? NOT a rebel. Shit, that was one of the easiest five stars I gave out on that site.

I will say that the solo on Deep Peace reminded me of Dave Gilmour, but not the singing.