The message is: THERE IS NO MESSAGE

#136491 by Noodles
Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:10 pm
AccEvolution wrote:Well I'm no drummer, but I do know that Gene Hoglan is a beast.

Being a guitarist, many of my statements are discretely aimed at the guitar portion of music. :P I should really start specifying that...

Anywho, the guitars are really simple for the most part. I think that's kind of the point, though. That kind of simple stuff can be crushingly heavy with good production and some steady bass drums, it seems like that's what Devy's aiming for. Simple, crushing, pissed off, and maybe easy to write? But what do I know? :P

I don't think Devin puts huge amounts of thought into his individual riffs, but making music that is as heavy as anything else out there while still having quite a bit of melody and song variety must take some work :P

#137854 by All Hail99
Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:28 pm
Pisshead wrote:Definitely a tough listen, Terria doesn't let you in lightly.

I agree with that! It is an interesting first listen but i found it a most enjoyable one. What made it harder was the fact it was the first Devy album i listened to and i was truly blown away by Mountain, it's so majestic, huge sounding. In my opinion the best track on Terria, blows the nuts off Earth Day :P

#140675 by rgx612a
Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:28 am
AccEvolution wrote:SYL is really simple for the most part.

Shitstorm? That's a pretty damn technical song as far as i'm concerned.

#140708 by Goat
Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:43 pm
How is SYL simple in any part? If you don't let it in! If you let it in, it takes you on one hell of a ride. Saying SYL is simple is like saying you like to solve crosswords on the roller-coaster. :?

#140713 by Ike
Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:39 pm
i think he wanted to say that lots of the riffing and song structure in syl is simple. well, not on all tracks. the "skeleton", the basic structure of the music is rather simple and so provides much room for the vocals, grooves, samples , gene's cymbal tricks, and all that complex stuff to expand. if you can play metal, playing detox isn't hard. but if you play that song, that certain simplicity makes total sense, as a song like that can become much bigger and more destructive than something more technical. syl is simple in order to be strong, so to say.
of course, dev has made lots of tunes that are not simple at all, like much off the syl s/t, synchestra, terria, alien etc., but i think most of his older and most celebrated songs are composed in a very simple, easy style.

just my 2 cents, i can just fuck off whenever i want ;)