The message is: THERE IS NO MESSAGE

#128253 by A-Daamage
Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:10 am
HauntingTheHoly wrote:
A-Daamage wrote:
HauntingTheHoly wrote:Thanks a lot for sharing all of this. I never knew any of it, and now as I sit here and listen to Mountain, I feel more moved than ever. Probably helps that I'm a serious dog person. :)

Just to be clear, Happy was already in the song, and *then* Dev got the call that he died, right? I'd like to hear those audio clips. I don't have the special edition

Yes, he was already in the song. As I mentioned, Dev was on his way to send the CD master (the final mixed and mastered product) off to the replicators.

Well then how do you explain the lyrics in the song, right after the 4:21 mark: "So far I've lost so many hours, two medications and a dog"
Did he hold off on submitting those master tapes?

Well, I know they've had more than a couple pets. I know they lost at least one or two others before Happy. I wish the pics were still up on the official site.

#130649 by Subcutaneous Phat
Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:45 am
I'd say the first two or three songs on Terria, espescially Mountain, are deliberately hard to listen to. They put you in a very dark place, before the rest of the album lifts you out. That's why I love Terria as an album so much. Possibly my favourite album of all time.

The thing about Mountain is it seems to be intended as a mood-setter, as a buildup. If you hadn't heard of Devin Townsend before and listened to just Mountain on it's own, You'd probably be left a bit bewildered. Whereas in it's place in the album it works perfectly. Maybe that's why people don't rave about it as much.

#133263 by Mazaro
Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:10 pm
The first half of Terria is untouchable.

I love the scream at about 1:15 of Mountain. "WHOA!!!" The highlight of the song for me.

#133277 by toad
Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:43 pm
gozu wrote:i heard it! i can't belive i never heard it before!

I heard it for the first time in my life too, right now! :D

#134841 by the_scoon
Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:50 pm
Mazaro wrote:The first half of Terria is untouchable.

I love the scream at about 1:15 of Mountain. "WHOA!!!" The highlight of the song for me.

I actually think one of the best parts of that whole song is just the sheer power of the opening! Devin's death growl at the begining is so brutal! He should make a death metal album... :guitar:

#136310 by Shinigami Kamenzi
Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:21 pm
A-Daamage wrote:
Reaper-Man-666 wrote:Mountain is a good song, and it is followed by my personal favourite. Then again, Terria is still my fave Dev Album. It was a pitched battle between Synchestra and Terria for my fave, but Terria still has that place for me.
Reason? First Dev album I listened to.

This odd circumstance seems to be common among many of the Forum members. It certainly wasn't for me, though. My first foray into the world of Dev solo albums was Infinity, and while Truth remains the greatest song ever written, it wasn't until the dust settled from the final scream of Things Beyond Things that I realized I had just been witness to the greatest album of all time, Ocean Machine. Synchestra has truly bored its way into my soul, but Ocean Machine is still the pinnacle of music. Here's the breakdown:

1. Ocean Machine - undisputed champeen
2 & 3. Tie: Infinity vs Synchestra - too hard to decide
4. Terria
5. Physicist
6. Accelerated Evolution

While they all kick unheard of amounts of ass, when stacked against each other, that's the outcome.

Pour Moi:

1. Infinity
2. Biomech
3. Terria
4. Synchestra
5. Physicist (but to me, it's a bit too SYL-keen... not that I don't absolutely love SYL :twisted:)
6. Accelerated Evolution

...and of course, Devlab and Hummer are just too damn weird to be comparable with anything in there, but both are amazing in their own ways.

#136311 by Shinigami Kamenzi
Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:23 pm
the_scoon wrote:
Mazaro wrote:The first half of Terria is untouchable.

I actually think one of the best parts of that whole song is just the sheer power of the opening! Devin's death growl at the begining is so brutal! He should make a death metal album... :guitar:

Umm... http://www.strappingyounglad.com ? 8)

#136324 by the_scoon
Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:22 pm
Good point, I should have said techincal death metal :P

#136375 by NoisyPinkBubble
Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:03 pm
the_scoon wrote:Good point, I should have said techincal death metal :P

SYL isn't technical? There's plenty of songs that are technical sounding.

#136388 by AccEvolution
Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:15 pm
SYL is really simple for the most part.

#136389 by InfoDump
Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:26 pm
there are some technical parts id think, stuff like drumming. when they rely get going with solos an stuff they sound unsimple

#136391 by AccEvolution
Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:39 pm
Well I'm no drummer, but I do know that Gene Hoglan is a beast.

Being a guitarist, many of my statements are discretely aimed at the guitar portion of music. :P I should really start specifying that...

Anywho, the guitars are really simple for the most part. I think that's kind of the point, though. That kind of simple stuff can be crushingly heavy with good production and some steady bass drums, it seems like that's what Devy's aiming for. Simple, crushing, pissed off, and maybe easy to write? But what do I know? :P
#136437 by woebegone
Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:22 am
It's not one of the strongest; it's THE strongest. Mountain is to Terria what Truth is to Infinity. Everyone freaks the hell out about Earth Day, and while it's a badass song, it can't hold a candle to Mountain. Plus, you can hear the ghost of Happy barking his heart out. Now THAT'S metal.[/quote]

Devs dog sung on Terria? :shock: I think its nice to hear a deep kinda growl on a Devyrec though :twisted: Mountain is up there with rest 8)
#136439 by woebegone
Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:23 am
It's not one of the strongest; it's THE strongest. Mountain is to Terria what Truth is to Infinity. Everyone freaks the hell out about Earth Day, and while it's a badass song, it can't hold a candle to Mountain. Plus, you can hear the ghost of Happy barking his heart out. Now THAT'S metal.[/quote]

Devs dog sung on Terria? :shock: I think its nice to hear a deep kinda growl on a Devyrec though :twisted: Mountain is up there with rest 8)