The message is: THERE IS NO MESSAGE
#143060 by Ampulex Compressa
Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:16 pm
...Would have to be Terria.
Last summer was the worst summer of my life. My dad offered me a job painting his girlfriend's house for quite a decent amount of money. I figured, it's more money than I could make in a summer working at a grocery store or whatever, and it was physical labor, so I wouldn't have to deal with customers getting all indignant on me when something they don't like happens. The catch: the house is in a little town called Leominster, about an hour away from my house, and I don't drive. I have to sleep there and I only get to spend the weekends with my friends at my house.
Leominster is the whitest, upper-middle-classest, calmest suburb I've ever seen. It was a nice place to live if you happen to be dead.
And that's just what this place was. Dead.
It was that summer that I purchased the Terria album. I had a pirated copy, but it had proven to be my favorite Townsend album to date either way. So I went out and bought it (Actually, I had also pirated Infinity and Ocean Machine, and purchased them at later dates). I listened to Dev's audio commentary, and he talked a lot about how personal the album was for him, and how it had a lot to do with growing up. It really spoke to me, especially since I had decided that summer that it was time for me to draw the line, and stop being a teenager and start being an adult (summer between freshman and sophomore years in college).
Many of the songs themselves spoke to me, too, on an almost eerily esoteric level. "Deep Peace" comforted me when I was feeling like total shit and just had to cry, "Canada" spoke to me about my relationship with my dad, him being a businessman and me being an art student (all the time I needed your approval to be me), "Nobody's Here" and "Tiny Tears" were simply very comforting songs, and "Stagnant" summed up everything. Especially how "it's beautiful, the way it's meant to be, beautiful, but it don't do shit for me" was exactly how I would describe the town of Leominster.
To sum it up, "Terria" was the most important record in my life as of yet. It was like Devin came up to me, put his hand on my shoulder, and said "my friend, shit gets tough sometimes. We've all gotta deal with it. You'll make it through this, and you'll be stronger and more grown up because of it."

Anyone else feel especially connected to Terria? Or any other of his albums, in fact?
#143089 by FUBAR
Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:00 am
Ampulex Compressa wrote:
Anyone else feel especially connected to Terria? Or any other of his albums, in fact?

Yeh man I think thats why it ranks as one of Devs best works because alot of people seem to be able relate to the material and it has a very personal and deep quality. Its an album of many levels...anyway cool first post, welcome!

#143105 by Deathcom7000
Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:35 pm
Totally. I think almost all of Dev's albums are like that for me. "...beautiful but it don't do shit for me" made me get over a girl INSTANTLY!!

#143121 by IronMaiden736
Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:57 pm
I think Devin would be glad to see this. I know he has said multiple times that he does not go into depth about what songs me so people can put their own meanings to them and relate them to your life. I do it all the time, and its easy to do with all of his cds. They all have a really personal vibe to them.

#143122 by Chris
Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:20 am
That was an interesting read. Your interpretation is far from being shallow and is really related to the stuff you were going through when hearing the album for the first times, so I think I should leave it at that and just say: Welcome to the forums!

Oh, and I liked your line about the "esoteric level". I can definitely relate to those words when being used to describe Terria.
#143145 by Centurion
Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:12 am
Ampulex Compressa wrote:.
Anyone else feel especially connected to Terria?

Yes! So far there have been 3 very important albums in my life. Late 80`z was Iron Maiden - Seventh Son. Then it was Emperor - Anthems. Now it is Terria. A fantastic opus.

3 very good, and very difrent albums.

#143169 by fragility
Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:58 pm
this whole idea of "life important" albums is exactly what makes Terria my favourite album of all time if I'm really honest with myself. In terms of quality, I always have a hard time putting any Dev album abother another...but Terria does just engage my emotions and there's this whole feel to it which I find incredibly touching

#143172 by Biert
Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:36 pm
Terria has been important to me. I was going through a tough time, and some evening I was in bed, listening to Terria while reading the lyrics, and it just seemed to comfort me.
The album does have a pretty depressed feel to it in places, but towards the end it seems to cheer up, finally ending with the humoristic "Humble".

Anyway, for me Terria was the beginning of looking upwards and forwards again, rather than downwards and backwards. :)

um

#143173 by kettle
Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:43 pm
...which bit was the 'worst summer' bit again?

...painting the house, being paid decent money or being an art student.

did I miss something?

I liked being twenty nine and hearing...

"And now I'm 29 years old And I'm a million miles away"

...age and wisdom makes me want to be much nearer to shit summers like that.

I hope life continues to get better for you.

Well done for buying the record(s).
#143182 by Ampulex Compressa
Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:45 pm
kettle wrote:...which bit was the 'worst summer' bit again?

did I miss something?

I'm not saying I have a bad life, or that I have it tough. Not at all. But that summer was filled with my dad and his girlfriend talking to me about who I should be, telling me I have to be "more social" in this town of the living dead, where there's nothing to do but hang out with them while they drink wine and talk about how I need to be someone else, or hang out with her daughter and her friends, whose favorite thing to do was pretend I was made of air.
For Christ's sake, I got hounded by my dad's girlfriend, who came into my life at the age of sixteen, WAY too late to try and claim any sort of authoritative position, about wearing a WALLET CHAIN. The thingggggg that keeps my wallet attached to my pants.
There are cacti who are both more tolerable and more interesting than the people who live in this town. (At least cacti don't bitch about who you SHOULD be.)
#143199 by Chris
Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:22 am
Ampulex Compressa wrote:For Christ's sake, I got hounded by my dad's girlfriend, who came into my life at the age of sixteen, WAY too late to try and claim any sort of authoritative position, about wearing a WALLET CHAIN. The thingggggg that keeps my wallet attached to my pants.

:lol:

Gotta go to Compton for a wallet chain
Suburban fucking gangsters and their wallet chains
With music hard as disco but without the brain
I saw Elvis in a mohawk and it wasn't the same

If you aren't familiar with Punky Bruster yet... Check it out! A hilarious piece of music by the Dev.
#143201 by kettle
Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:53 am
Ampulex Compressa wrote:
kettle wrote:...which bit was the 'worst summer' bit again?

did I miss something?

I'm not saying I have a bad life, or that I have it tough. Not at all. But that summer was filled with my dad and his girlfriend talking to me about who I should be, telling me I have to be "more social" in this town of the living dead, where there's nothing to do but hang out with them while they drink wine and talk about how I need to be someone else, or hang out with her daughter and her friends, whose favorite thing to do was pretend I was made of air.
For Christ's sake, I got hounded by my dad's girlfriend, who came into my life at the age of sixteen, WAY too late to try and claim any sort of authoritative position, about wearing a WALLET CHAIN. The thingggggg that keeps my wallet attached to my pants.
There are cacti who are both more tolerable and more interesting than the people who live in this town. (At least cacti don't bitch about who you SHOULD be.)

Thanks for humouring me. That's much easier to relate to now you've spat out the bit that was gnawing at you.

thanks for sharing and sorry for being a bully.

#143222 by Das Schuetzenfest
Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:25 am
Welcome!

NOW I CAN BE HARDCORE LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE!!!

#143225 by HevyMinik
Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:46 am
Chris wrote:Gotta go to Compton for a wallet chain
Suburban fucking gangsters and their wallet chains
With music hard as disco but without the brain
I saw Elvis in a mohawk and it wasn't the same

I was thinking the EXACT same thing when I read the part about the wallet!