The message is: THERE IS NO MESSAGE
#143176 by bobbyjointritual
Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:45 pm
Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I heard somewhere that Terria is based on Adam and Eve and the apocalypse. Is this true?

#143178 by Josiah Tobin
Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:59 pm
Where'd you hear that? Personally I wouldn't think it to be true, if only for the reason that Devin usually leaves it up to his listeners to decide the meaning of his work. Also, aside from Cooked On Phonics, I don't believe he's ever really done a 'true' concept album.

#143306 by bobbyjointritual
Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:37 pm
Weren't Alien, Synchestra, and Accelerated Evolution concepts of Bipolar Disorder, finding your place in life, and relationships. Respectively?

#143308 by Kivenkantaja
Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:52 pm
I think Josiah meant that Devin hasn't ever done an album where somebody does this in the song 1 and that in the song 2 and finally faces his/her/its tragic end at the song X.

Ziltoid?

#143312 by bobbyjointritual
Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:40 pm
Oh, and someone on the CDBaby page of Terria said he/she heard it was about Adam and Eve and the apocalypse. I didn't believe them but I thought it would be interesting to bring up

#143313 by Kivenkantaja
Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:42 pm
Nah, he wouldn't do that.
There are few 'universal' themes just like you said above. Like Accelerated Evolution being about relationsships for examle-
#143330 by danceswithchickens
Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:26 am
bobbyjointritual wrote:Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I heard somewhere that Terria is based on Adam and Eve and the apocalypse. Is this true?

Eat your beets. Recycle.

Isn't it obvious? Of course it is based on the story of Adam and Eve and the apocalypse!

Terria is in fact an album about normal, everyday life; specifically, the things that Devin was missing out on due to his quick rise to relative fame in the music world. It's about walking the dog, taking out the trash...or the beginning and end of the universe, depending on how you interpret it :lol:

#143353 by Grimview
Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:01 pm
bobbyjointritual wrote:Weren't Alien, Synchestra, and Accelerated Evolution concepts of Bipolar Disorder, finding your place in life, and relationships. Respectively?

That'd be a theme album... theme albums have songs that all convey similar emotions and feelings about similar or related topics. Concept albums tell a story, show the emotion of the people involved, etc. There's many theme albums - Devin himself said that the self-titled Strapping Young Lad album was a "war-themed" record - but concept albums are separate things.

And I think DancesWithChickens got the theme for Terria right.

#143361 by bobbyjointritual
Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:28 pm
ohhh ok. thanks for the clarification guys

#143408 by Biert
Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:55 am
Beets are a metaphore for apples.

#143434 by bobbyjointritual
Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:51 pm
Noodles wrote:I'd be interested in hearing how someone related all of the songs to Adam and Eve :)

me too. how do they explain canada?

#143448 by Eyesore
Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:43 pm
bobbyjointritual wrote:
Noodles wrote:I'd be interested in hearing how someone related all of the songs to Adam and Eve :)

me too. how do they explain canada?

Definitely ain't eden. :lol:

#143470 by bobbyjointritual
Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:30 pm
right. i dont think Eden has "home grown surrey weed"