The message is: THERE IS NO MESSAGE
#153932 by bobbyjointritual
Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:29 pm
Keep in mind that this is my interpretation of Terria. Probably not right, but hey, that's the beauty of it

-Olive-
The introduction. The narrator is allowing you entry into the story and soul of TERRIA (his psyche) and about his mental breakdown and the aftermath.

-Mountain-
The story starts off with an explanation of how monotonous life can be, and how every problem is just "another mountain" to him.

-Earth Day-
The basis of the story. About how everyday life drove him "overboard". This is the mental breakdown for which, I believe, this album is based on

-Deep Peace-
The calm after the storm. He's contemplating his life. How he lives too much for other people and not himself.

-Canada-
Now he's thinking about home. How great things were there, and how much he yearns to be there

-Down and Under-
The intermission

-The Fluke-
His thoughts flow to a love he once had. Unrequited love, if you will. He wants to have her again, but can't because she doesn't feel the same way anymore.

-Nobody's Hear-
About loneliness. He feels he now has no one to turn too.

-Tiny Tears-
The realization. He is speaking to himself that one day he will get what he deserves. He just has to wait.

-Stagnant-
The ending. He realizes life will be well, and it's beautiful. But he must wait until his time comes.

Any other thoughts?

#153966 by funny_little_guy
Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:16 am
Interesting stuff, to be honest I've never really thought of it as a full story. I mean for me there was clearly some themes tying everything together nicely, but you managed to explain it in a pretty cool way. Not sure if thats how I hear it but as you say thats the beauty of it.

#153986 by IronMaiden736
Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:22 pm
Well I think all we know for sure about Terria is that Mountain is about how his dog had cancer and how hard it was to deal with it and that Nobody's Here is about Marijuana usage. But the rest of what you said seemed pretty probable.

#153996 by Noodles
Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:43 pm
I think the concept isn't so much lyrical as a vague "here to there" flow of the album. It starts off weird and aggressive and ends calmer and relaxed. it seems to start off saying "we're fucked up and life sucks" but then ends saying "but that's OK since theres still a lot of meaningful stuff in life and we're only human".

I think I just paraphrased Devin's description of the song Judgement that he posted here but oh well.

#154011 by Deathcom7000
Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:20 pm
I like Noodle's idea, but yours is pretty good too, but I tend to believe Dev tries to leave things vague for the imagination.

#154057 by Biert
Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:11 am
Noodles wrote:it seems to start off saying "we're fucked up and life sucks" but then ends saying "but that's OK since theres still a lot of meaningful stuff in life and we're only human".

I think that's how I feel it as well.

Re:

#244809 by Bookwyrm83
Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:26 am
Biert wrote:
Noodles wrote:it seems to start off saying "we're fucked up and life sucks" but then ends saying "but that's OK since theres still a lot of meaningful stuff in life and we're only human".

I think that's how I feel it as well.

I concur - a great soundtrack to ease negative energy.
#244845 by mrbean667
Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:45 pm
I see it as Absurdism.
According to Camus, there are three ways to cope with the fucked up nature of our existence.

1. Physical suicide: The "coward's" way out. Dev here seems to go this way in Nobody's Here, but thinks better of it later on.

2. Philosophical suicide: In other words, religion. The theme of religion is kind of touched on throughout the album.

3. Acceptance: This is probably the best way to describe the album's end, as Noodles said: "yeah, it's fucked up but there are still so many beautiful things to discover in this massive, massive world of ours."

That's my philosophical outlook on Terria, but I see it as just an amazing album. :D

Re:

#244868 by Helge-Uwe
Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:33 am
IronMaiden736 wrote:and that Nobody's Here is about Marijuana usage.

Well I've never seen it this way - if it is like that, perfect lyrics!

Especially here: "Why can't I remember?" :lol:
#246160 by Blackmachine
Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:59 am
Hi folks,

I am just at the beginning of my interpretation.
I am thinking about the word "Terria". Why Terria? The first I think is "Terra".

....does it means the album is about the earth or enviroment (what)?
Or is it about Devin himself in some way?
Maybe about the society? Or ourselves (or him) as an individual in the society?
Or it is a symbol for something else?

"The message is : THERE IS NO MESSAGE + ...and music? Well, it's just entertainment folks."
For me these are the two big messages in the album !!at the moment!! For me it favorites the society theory.
Maybe the emptiness of all we do this times? Its just all about entertainment. Nothing means something.

don't know... I still thinking and trying to understand his music and lyrics.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by Blackmachine on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
#246167 by mrbean667
Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:15 am
Terria is defs something about Earth.
#248119 by reeseapoc
Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:58 am
A couple years ago, I thought Earth Day was about abortion. When I think back on it now, I don't know why I thought that. That's my two cents.