The message is: THERE IS NO MESSAGE
#179838 by Alex78
Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:07 am
So last night I listened to Terria...
and WTF, this album is near perfect! I got serious goosebumps in 3 songs: Earth Day, Deep Peace(guess which part) and Fluke.
I think this album has to be listened to as a whole. You have to hear all these beautiful transitions between songs. I'm never like "I'm gonna listen to Deep Peace now", I always listen to the complete album, because it appears so precious to me.
#182507 by Kivenkantaja
Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:44 am
That's a 'click'.

You need one with infinity too to enjoy it. :D
#183332 by Marijn
Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:46 pm
You have seen the light! Terria is indeed nearly perfect! I love the album too, like you do. I love to listen it as a whole!
#183994 by allmyfriends
Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:23 pm
I agree, Terria is a fantastic album. That album just gives me a very peaceful vibe, whenever I listen to it I get the impression of it being recorded in complete solitude on a mountain peak somewhere. I know that sounds stupid, haha, but it is a very peaceful album, a good album to put on as you drift to sleep. And such.
#189020 by Bicro
Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:02 pm
I was drunk and just chillin on some guy's couch when I first heard Nobody's Here.

Cannot express how perfect the moment was. Everything just meshed perfectly at that point.
#193570 by Jaggra
Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:22 pm
I go to this park near my house and take the mp3 player with me, and listen to the whole Terria, lying on the bench, staring at the trees and sky,

I often describe Terria as a "living" album, It's kinda wierd, but I feel like if Dev's voice along with all the instruments are made up of organic matter haha.

Terria <3
#193576 by Zyprexa
Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:08 pm
This thread is almost as perfect as Terria.

1. "Olives" – 3:21
This is an unusual introductory piece, but highly attention-grabbing nonetheless. It made me a bit apprehensive the first time I listened to the album the entire way through, because I wasn't sure if it would sound right in the bigger scheme of the album. I was pleasantly surprised, and it combines Dev's ability to exploit everyday sounds in his music with his excellent ability to create a unique atmosphere with his songs.

2. "Mountain" – 6:32
I always consider this to be the real introduction, with Olives as a prelude. This is a powerful ballad with emotive lyrics and intense rhythm and flow.

3. "Earth Day" – 9:35
The minor keys in this really enhance the melody. Right from the get-go, it's inevitable that this song is not just going to be listened to, but heard. The way it's complied just has a commandeering feel. It feels to me like it wants me to march, but always in the right direction.

4. "Deep Peace" – 7:34
Even though it probably wasn't written with the intention of becoming a typical lovesong, the depth of feeling which seems to be behind this song make me feel like it's a song about understanding and acceptance. And so, in its own way, it's an imperfect expression of mutual comprehension which I feel honoured to apply to my own life. Also, the entire solo is incredible; however I think that from 4:29 on may be the most enrapturing piece of music I will ever hear. It's all going away now, all going away now - going, going, gone. Going... going... gone.

5. "Canada" – 6:53
An adjective I can think of to describe this song is "cool". It feels to me like a sort of incantation in homage of Devin's home. What a worthy subject for a song, eh? It's such a beautiful, liberal country. But I also think that well over half this song focusses on the negative aspects of Canada. It's oil, It's wheat, It's soil, It's meat... NAFTA? Asshattery.

6. "Down and Under" – 3:43
This becomes really intense as it progresses. There seems to be a snowball effect in place throughout the song, with more and more layers as it deepens in momentum. The choral-esque vocals near the end are really something.

7. "The Fluke" – 7:16
The general consensus seems to be that this is one of the top three favourite tracks on Terria - I completely agree. It's definitely more palatable in terms of singing along, it never becomes too difficult to get your ears around... It has all of the best elements from each of the tracks and plays them to its fullest advantage.

8. "Nobody's Here" – 6:54
However, I think that this is my number one track on this album. The lyrical integrity is maintained throughout; there's no beautiful breakdown at the end like there is in the previous track. This suits the song. The thought pattern seems to become more inconsistent as the story in the song unfolds. Doubt is seeping in constantly. I like that. It makes me think more. The tune is far more mellow and relaxing.

9. "Tiny Tears" – 9:12
This is definitely fourth on my preference list for the entire album. It expresses, through so beautiful a medium, a grave truth. I think it's about how emotion gives people away, how façades will always be just that, how something can only be a permanent fixture if it's real. How pain and heartache are inevitable in the search for something meaningful. Or maybe I'm just an overly-analytical faggot.

10. "Stagnant" – 5:25
This is such a fucking HAPPY song! I love it. It's my number two. It would be my number one if I didn't enjoy being a grumpy shit, but that's just not me. There's just such pretty imagery in the lyrics. I feel like it's saying that though times aren't great right now, things will probably improve. Even if things look crap, look ahead at the good times. And if the good times don't seem to live up to your expectations, appreciate that having a mediocre good time is better than having a crap time. If that makes any sense. It doesn't.

11. "Humble" (Hidden Track) – 5:30
Strange little guy. Lovely guitar, pretty tune, funny lyricy bit is funny but pleasant in spite of its strangeness. It's even alright that it goes on for a bit long. You just grow accustomed to the repetition, in a good way.

12. "Universal" (Bonus Track) - 5:55
Spiffy spiffy spiffy! Yay! I don't know what it's about, haven't bothered to come up with my own meaning or opinion, it just makes my ears feel nice. Good stuff.

Terria isn't my favourite Dev album, not by a long shot. But the concept behind it is integral to what it is. There is an underlying naturalism throughout it which makes it especially nice to listen to while observing the beauty around you. As a standalone piece of work, it is truly a masterpiece. Which is why I've analysed it like I have done. What a silly, pointless exercise. Oh well. Back to MafiaWars.
#193589 by soundsofentropy
Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:18 pm
I have to say that this album has never disappointed me. And somehow I doubt it ever will. I've got an analysis stored somewhere in my brain chemistry, but I'll spare you all, since Zyprexa's analysis echoes quite a few of my same reactions. Regardless, this album is tied with Infinity for my number one slot (of any artist, any time). It always makes me think, wonder, and question. It doesn't give me too many answers, but it gives me enough to keep looking for them. I think in some sense, that's how I feel about those two albums--they're journeys, to be taken all at once, but they never end; the destination is imaginary. There's so much beauty in both of them, and they so perfectly describe the world around me and the ways in which I could fit into it. That said, Infinity and Terria don't mean the same thing (to me); they just "click" so perfectly.
#195770 by mineralinsulated
Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:23 am
i think its his greatest musical achievement. I love it so much. Just recommended it to my brother in law, i think he may love it.
Recently exchanged txts with a friend re terria. I told him i was having an affair with terria again, he responded, terria isnt a lover, its a sole mate! Damn true, and funny to boot.
#211536 by croomekid
Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:34 pm
Terria could only be created in beautiful British Columbia.
and I've rarely listened to individual songs (unless I need to mello out to Nobody's Here or Deep Peace)
the album is too good in it's entirety to divide it.
#211630 by the_s_rabbit
Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:51 pm
The huge vocal melodies on the last verse of Canada and the end of Tiny Tears give me major goosebumps and even the muscles in my back start twitching. It's just magical. I Canada when he belts out "the mountain high! the river low!!" and then the backing vocals all swirl together in one massive crescendo. That is pure breathtaking bliss.
#214917 by swervedriver
Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:51 am
Holy fucking shit...

I was driving through Switzerland going to Italy, so naturally Terria had to be the soundtrack but the timing... It was so perfect. One moment I was driving between big mountains while Canada was playing, then Down And Under started precisely when I entered a long-ish tunnel and The Fluke kicked in at the exact moment I exited that tunnel. Call me sad, but I thought that was fucking cool.
#214972 by croomekid
Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:36 pm
swervedriver wrote:Holy fucking shit...

I was driving through Switzerland going to Italy, so naturally Terria had to be the soundtrack but the timing... It was so perfect. One moment I was driving between big mountains while Canada was playing, then Down And Under started precisely when I entered a long-ish tunnel and The Fluke kicked in at the exact moment I exited that tunnel. Call me sad, but I thought that was fucking cool.

I envy anyone who can combine beautiful scenery and Terria whilst driving.