Follow the way Follow the way Holding mother

#86317 by BenMech
Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:34 pm
djskrimp wrote:Didn't Dev say at one point that even HE didn't like the way it was mixed, and wanted to try to remix at some point?

Yes, He's been saying that since day one.

The songs he and the strapping guys recorded were and are great.
Then the record label handed the recordings to some third-rate mixer.

The mixer lost all dynamic in the rhythms and guitars and keyboards and vocals, compressing the hell out of each of them., flattening them all together really shoddily.

Devin defended the sound when pressed as "going for the notion of "void" because he was left empty, alone, and out of it after Infinity and being abandoned ALMOST by Tracy and the Townsend family. Plus, he was beginning to take the bipolar meds.

That nonsense in the other thread of Fizzy being a strapping album is after the fact gibberish. The strapping players appear on it as last minute replacements for Jason Newsted, Ginger, and this other guy I can't quite recall.

#86318 by gurp13
Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:15 am
That's good info, BenMech, thanks! :-) Why didn't you say something on that other thread, too? That would have been a very useful and valid contribution.

FWIW, I'd be interested to hear a remixed version of Physicist. It does sound flat compared to Dev's other records. I don't think it's likely to happen for a long time, though. Dev's got other fish to fry. He's in what appears to be a very creative time right now. Best not to waste it revisiting old material.

#96496 by The Oid
Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:38 am
I'd like to hear it remastered, if only because it'd be interesting to hear another interpretation of it, however I think it's perfect as it is. In my opinion, it's right up there as one of the best albums Devin has created/been involved with.

I know this might sound weird, because the music on Physicist can be quite brutal, but does anyone else like to listen to Physicist when going to sleep? For some reason I find it really relaxing to listen to when going to bed!

That nonsense in the other thread of Fizzy being a strapping album is after the fact gibberish. The strapping players appear on it as last minute replacements for Jason Newsted, Ginger, and this other guy I can't quite recall.

I'm not saying this rumour has any truth to it, but around the time it came out, I heard a rumour that it was originally meant to be a SYL album, but Devin changed his mind part way through it, because the music he was inspired to write for it ended up not being quite in the right mood for an SYL album.

#96566 by funny_little_guy
Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:40 am
I dont think it NEEDS to be re-done, I don't acually think anyone here does, but it would be interesting to hear.

#103960 by Deathcom7000
Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:11 pm
I like it the way it is, but dosn't Dev think it's un-finished? Maybe a Remix would be good so he can squeez in whatever it was he felt was missing.

#103979 by sj_2150
Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:30 am
i really dont mind, i like the way it sounds. although it could be better, im extremely happy with the album. the only thing that gets on my nerves is that i still see it more as an SYL album...

#104103 by Eyesore
Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:38 pm
If all Dev's master tapes were lost in the flood this album may never be remixed. Personally I find nothing wrong with the mix.

#104145 by kettle
Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:12 am
Eyesore wrote:If all Dev's master tapes were lost in the flood this album may never be remixed. Personally I find nothing wrong with the mix.

Wasn't the data for physicist on a Laptop hard drive waiting to be recovered, or was that laptop lost in the flood too?

#104468 by Puzzleface
Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:04 am
I have yet to hear an album by anyone that is supposed to have been "remastered" that in any way improves the album. Take, for instance, the Megadeth catalog. The Remastered editions of
Killing is My Business, So Far So Good and Peace Sells sound like a pale imitation of their former raw in your face sound. (Is that enough cliches for you!?!)

I for one LOVE the Physicist disc. It always kicks my ass when ever I listen to it. I'd easily put it in my Top 5 albums of anything Devin/DTB/SYL related. Leave well enough alone. It's a chapter of Devin that has it's place in the world. I want to hear some of these songs played Live one day.

I'd love to find a soundboard quality recording from that tour.