Follow the way Follow the way Holding mother

#85096 by BaldMosher446
Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:56 am
I think I remember reading somewhere that Devin wasn't particular happy with how Physicist turned out because the production and the final mixing of it didn't come out the way Devin wanted it to and I also think there was talk at one point about Dev and Shaun getting together and remixing some of the tracks on there. Don't hold me true for what I just said though, all of it could be totally wrong for all I know.

#85252 by black_tooth_grin
Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:26 am
I dont really see what so bad about Physicist, I reckon it's a great album, it may have it's ups and downs but all albums have those. As a matter of fact i'm listening to it right now...awesome album.

:P

#85278 by fragility
Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:37 am
I love physicist...I think it has a sound all of its own...with some great melodies. I just love the feeling it gives me :)

#85412 by Joch
Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:14 pm
Physicist makes me cry... Every time. It's beautiful. It defines so many thoughts and feelings that I have. it's fantastic.

#97193 by Marshall Bravestar
Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:35 pm
Just four of the reasons Physicist is amazing:

1) The pauses in the music behind the "IIIIII!!!! I WONDERRRR!!!!" etc... in Kingdom get me every time. Such a great juxtaposition to the black metal-like wash that bathes the rest of the album.

2) It's incredible how the guy not only writes really unique songs, but how he also manages to create entirely new production "feels" with each album. This album's no different. The production on Physicist fits the imagery and context of the songs beautifully. I've always understood why Dev might not be keen on the production, but I think it's top! Cosmic!

3) "But I never even had a chance to say goodbye, I never had a chance to end it all..." It comes in at just the right time in the song and seems so full of genuine emotion. Yet strangely, this is the Dev's least favourite song off the album and it's one of my favourites!! Maybe the emotion is genuine and that's why he doesn't like it. Maybe it touches on a sensitive issue?

4) Planet Rain. Genious. Simple as that. Hell, the chorus makes it sound as though the fate of the entire human race depends on Dev shredding his vocal chords to pieces. Surely there can't be too many occasions in the history of music where the word loving is sung with such incredible sorrow, ferocity and grit. Fabulous.

Sorry for the lengthy post. It's just that I've never really understood why it's such a contentious album!!! Obvously I love it. It's Devin's "White Album"!!!

#97224 by gurp13
Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:33 pm
Marshall Bravestar wrote:Just four of the reasons Physicist is amazing:

1) The pauses in the music behind the "IIIIII!!!! I WONDERRRR!!!!" etc... in Kingdom get me every time. Such a great juxtaposition to the black metal-like wash that bathes the rest of the album.

<snip other three reasons>

Sorry for the lengthy post. It's just that I've never really understood why it's such a contentious album!!! Obvously I love it. It's Devin's "White Album"!!!

Nah, that was a great post, don't apologize!

I go back and forth on this album. I mean, I like it a lot. But, sometimes I catch myself regarding it as Dev's "worst" album (which is not saying much because even his worst is still great). Then, I listen to it, or read a post like this and remember how much I like it. Especially Kingdom. Man! That's a good song.

About the only thing I don't like on that album is "Forgotten." It just kils the vibe of the rest of the album, I think. I mean, after Planet Rain (I'm sooooooorrryyyy) it kills it.

#97245 by Chris
Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:39 am
gurp13 wrote:About the only thing I don't like on that album is "Forgotten." It just kils the vibe of the rest of the album, I think. I mean, after Planet Rain (I'm sooooooorrryyyy) it kills it.

Hm... It's a "nice little weird bonus thing at the end of the record", that's exactly how I feel about it. I really see it seperated from the rest of the record (although I really like it as what it is)

And what I just called the "rest" of the album, is the real Physicist to me (sounds strange, I know) - when I say that I listened to the whole album, then that doesn't necessarily include Forgotten.

Yeah... You just have to be quick enough and hit the stop-button right after Planet Rain :wink:

And as far as I am concerned, sometimes I really enjoy listening to it right after having heard the whole album - after this fucking sonic assault that this record clearly is, it's both funny and relaxing at the same time to lower your pulse again with Forgotten playing in the background.

#97277 by Marshall Bravestar
Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:11 am
Chris wrote:And what I just called the "rest" of the album, is the real Physicist to me (sounds strange, I know) - when I say that I listened to the whole album, then that doesn't necessarily include Forgotten.

Yeah... You just have to be quick enough and hit the stop-button right after Planet Rain :wink:

And as far as I am concerned, sometimes I really enjoy listening to it right after having heard the whole album - after this fucking sonic assault that this record clearly is, it's both funny and relaxing at the same time to lower your pulse again with Forgotten playing in the background.

Oddly enough, that's my take on the Forgotten too :)

#97341 by gurp13
Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:42 pm
Chris wrote:Hm... It's a "nice little weird bonus thing at the end of the record", that's exactly how I feel about it. I really see it seperated from the rest of the record (although I really like it as what it is)

And what I just called the "rest" of the album, is the real Physicist to me (sounds strange, I know) - when I say that I listened to the whole album, then that doesn't necessarily include Forgotten.

Maybe I could just take it out of the "album" in my iPod. Assign it to a Dev "bonus" album along with "Humble" off Teria and the "Sister/Hide Nowhere" acoustic number (and "Man") from Infinity. That way I don't even have to hit the stop button. :-)

#97363 by Chris
Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:11 am
gurp13 wrote:Maybe I could just take it out of the "album" in my iPod. Assign it to a Dev "bonus" album along with "Humble" off Teria and the "Sister/Hide Nowhere" acoustic number (and "Man") from Infinity. That way I don't even have to hit the stop button. :-)

I'm not sure what state of mind I'd be in after first having heard Forgotten and then Humble right after it (thinking of the loop at the end...)

Now all Dev has to do is to keep on releasing album after album after album, each one with a bonus track (who just said that I was greedy?)Then he can probably be the first artist to release, instead of the usual "Greatest hits" thing, an album called "Ass-sordid bonus songs"

(could this be more off topic?)

#97384 by funny_little_guy
Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:21 am
Theres no hidden track for AE... was there even an outtake from those sessions? I don't think there was.

(OFF TOPIC WHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOO)

#97596 by VampireDaveGrohl
Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:07 am
Well if you got in there quick enough you have the EPO project disc...but that's not really bonus songs is it.

#97626 by Biert
Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:09 am
VampireDaveGrohl wrote:Well if you got in there quick enough you have the EPO project disc...but that's not really bonus songs is it.

I think it's Project EKO, not EPO. Those three songs are awesome tho, I really love them.

#97901 by Ike
Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:23 pm
i don't understand the negative comments 'bout physicist at all. to me, it's certainly one of his best works. of course, ocean machine is more genuine, terria is larger and infinity more insane, but none of the other records sounds like the most pimped-up 20-megaton-spaceship i can imagine. in fact, no record at all does. physicist is the only futuristic happy metal record in the world, and it blends such a positive attitude with such a massive sound. i love it. and, by the way, i think it's the most specific record he ever made. all the others are quite open or undefined to some sides, but physicist is simply a massive block of really exotic music of ONE style that you can hear nowhere else. producing that and selling it requires some courage!