Follow the way Follow the way Holding mother

#124666 by Brainwashed
Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:27 am
andjustinforall wrote:Ummm isnt the mentally divergent bit in Devlab from 12 Monkeys when Brad Pitt goes into the mental ward and the african american guy claims to be from another planet called Ogo or something and says "are you mentally divergent too, friend?" or something like that.

Hmm. I've seen that movie a few times (one of my favorites, actually), and now that you mention it...I'm not sure. I don't know why my mind went to that first. If only I had either on video, I'd check it out right now, because this is going to bother me until I figure it out.

For those who know what I'm talking about...the episode I think it's from is the one where Riker is supposed to be acting in this play where he's in some sort of institute, but then it starts seeming like it's real...but we find out that it's just some aliens that've captured him and are doing some weird interrogation on him by making him hallucinate. Anyone?

#124671 by shredi knight
Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:45 am
Brainwashed wrote:.....For those who know what I'm talking about...the episode I think it's from is the one where Riker is supposed to be acting in this play where he's in some sort of institute, but then it starts seeming like it's real...but we find out that it's just some aliens that've captured him and are doing some weird interrogation on him by making him hallucinate. Anyone?

That episode is called "Frame Of Mind" (I am a complete fucking nerd for knowing that :( ).

I've seen it several times,but I don't remember the "mentally divergent" line.I'm sure I have it taped off on VHS though,so maybe I'll try and find it and see.

It's a pretty cool episode,despite Jonathan Frakes (at times) way over the top acting. :P

EDIT - Here's a link to the transcipt of the episode.I did a couple of searches on the page and "mentally divergent" (or any variation) is not in it:

http://www.twiztv.com/scripts/nextgener ... ng-621.txt
Last edited by shredi knight on Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#124672 by shredi knight
Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:04 pm
I found the quote from 12 Monkeys:

L.J. Washington: Don't mock me my friend. It's a condition of mental divergence. I find myself on the planet Ogo, part of an intellectual elite, preparing to subjugate the barbarian hordes on Pluto. But even though this is a totally convincing reality for me in every way, nevertheless Ogo is actually a construct of my psyche. I am mentally divergent, in that I am escaping certain unnamed realities that plague my life here. When I stop going there, I will be well. Are you also divergent, friend?
#124691 by kettle
Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:56 pm
shredi knight wrote:Did anyone else catch this?There's an exact quote from the theme from Star Trek II & III (they have pretty much the same theme music) right after the first chorus of "Material" (1:19 - 1:32) .Listen to this clip from the main theme from Star Trek III at 00:16 - 00:29 to hear what I'm talking about (you'll need Windows Media Player):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/clipserv ... 70-2316821

Is Devy a big Star Trek fan,or is this just a coincidence (or am I hearing things)?

I thought it was E.T.

#124703 by day old male
Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:01 pm
Cool thread. I recognised the ST theme as soon as I first heard "Material" way back in '00 as I am a massive fan of the TV shows and the movies also. Actually, I even OWN the original soundtrack to "ST III - Search for Spock" so I know for a fact that it is the same theme. I think Dev said something at the time about using that theme because it fit into his concept for the album being a "space-metal opera" type thing. It sounds incredible I reckon.

#124707 by danceswithchickens
Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:52 am
True, it definitely has that sound to it.

#124883 by frog
Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:02 am
Space-metal opera? Haha, I could see that. I prefer to think of it as the clouds album so that I can relate it to Ocean Machine, because it has a similar feel IMO, but that makes sense, too.

#124963 by Brainwashed
Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:16 pm
shredi knight wrote:
Brainwashed wrote:.....For those who know what I'm talking about...the episode I think it's from is the one where Riker is supposed to be acting in this play where he's in some sort of institute, but then it starts seeming like it's real...but we find out that it's just some aliens that've captured him and are doing some weird interrogation on him by making him hallucinate. Anyone?

That episode is called "Frame Of Mind" (I am a complete fucking nerd for knowing that :( ).

I've seen it several times,but I don't remember the "mentally divergent" line.I'm sure I have it taped off on VHS though,so maybe I'll try and find it and see.

It's a pretty cool episode,despite Jonathan Frakes (at times) way over the top acting. :P

EDIT - Here's a link to the transcipt of the episode.I did a couple of searches on the page and "mentally divergent" (or any variation) is not in it:

http://www.twiztv.com/scripts/nextgener ... ng-621.txt

Ah, thanks! I don't know what made me think it was from that episode, but now it won't be bugging me anymore.