Follow the way Follow the way Holding mother
#185245 by BrunoN
Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:42 am
Someone uploaded SYL's performance of Namaste from 2000. Quality is so-so and angle is weird, but still, if you (like me) didn't see any live recording of Physicist stuff take a look:

[youtube]meVv5WkGIko[/youtube]

Keyboard guy is a star, by the way (check Detox from the same profile).
#185327 by Blazingmonga
Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:19 pm
Good find dude!!!

I have heard audio, but I never thought I would see this performed.

Spectacular!
#190265 by Lolliklauer
Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:40 pm
That hyperactive überposer almost ruined it completely for me... :furious:

He is NOT the star on that stage.
#190540 by swervedriver
Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:46 am
Awesome performance!

Also, there's something inexplicably hilarious to me about the part starting at 2:35 (where Dev doesn't sing). :D
#196738 by NSTbedtime
Mon May 04, 2009 12:05 pm
Good to see. One of my favorite DTB songs. lol that camera guy is all up on them.
#196861 by BrunoN
Tue May 05, 2009 6:24 am
Lolliklauer wrote:That hyperactive überposer almost ruined it completely for me... :furious:

He is NOT the star on that stage.

He is fantastic. Keyboard players have worst position - they haven't tons of shiny stuff to beat the shit out of, like drummers, then can't strike rockin poses like guitarists or basists, they have just these nerdy little keyboards that won't stand much kicking - yet this guy managed to rock the fuck out of them. Kudos. I don't think he stole the spotlight, he spiced the whole thing (hey look, this crazy fella is DEVIN TOWNSEND's keyboard guy!).
#197047 by Lolliklauer
Wed May 06, 2009 8:00 am
BrunoN wrote:Keyboard players have worst position - they haven't tons of shiny stuff to beat the shit out of, like drummers, then can't strike rockin poses like guitarists or basists, they have just these nerdy little keyboards that won't stand much kicking - yet this guy managed to rock the fuck out of them. Kudos. I don't think he stole the spotlight, he spiced the whole thing (hey look, this crazy fella is DEVIN TOWNSEND's keyboard guy!).

Okay, it's good for you if you can see it that way. I for myself think that a tour-keyboardplayer should stand back, it's another thing if he's really an important part of the band, as in Dream Theater for example. I just imagined to see the Beatles live and some guest-sitarist or something was dancing and jumping in between John, George, Paul & Ringo... :c'mon:

Or i could just fuck off.
#197081 by Biert
Wed May 06, 2009 11:13 am
When I go see a band live, I enjoy seeing a good show and I love it when all band members try to participate in that. No matter how important they are in the band.

Besides, the keyboard player may not have been involved in writing and recording the album, however he does have a huge impact on the sound, especially on Physicist songs. So from that point of view, he is important.
#197205 by Blazingmonga
Thu May 07, 2009 12:31 pm
Biert wrote:When I go see a band live, I enjoy seeing a good show and I love it when all band members try to participate in that. No matter how important they are in the band.

Besides, the keyboard player may not have been involved in writing and recording the album, however he does have a huge impact on the sound, especially on Physicist songs. So from that point of view, he is important.

Quite right my good man.

Keyboard players have had a poor spot with Devin usually, being akin to drummers in Spinal Tap. Some of them have definately been rockin' though. If you ever saw SYL with Munesh Sami then you will know this also, as what he lacked in keyboard skills he made up for in headbanging.
#197306 by Biert
Fri May 08, 2009 2:36 am
Reminds me of Dave Young. Keyboard player for DTB but the guy has mad skills with many instruments. I think it was Dev who said "Between the two of them, the Young brothers play just about every instrument." And Dave ended up writing and playing guitar on Terror Syndrome, too.

By the way, the coolest keyboard playing I've ever seen was the bloke from Samael. His keyboard stand was made of scaffolding, and he had half a drum kit just in case he got bored with the keys :D

[youtube]0c0sMfso4HY[/youtube]