The infinite waltz, welcome home, ladies and gentlemen

#71913 by GDiddy
Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:15 pm
Woocifer wrote:This albums is dog shit

I didn't get past this point. Because I didn't understand it.

#75314 by Hellhammer
Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:51 pm
I've recently gotten Infinity and havent listened to it as much as say.. Accelerated Evolution, but this album is definetly growing on me. Especially with Truth, Christeen and Bad Devil. Those songs are simply killer.

#75607 by Marshall Bravestar
Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:01 pm
Don't think it's the best album because I don't believe it was album he really intended to release.

My best friend loved City and OM and when Infinity came out he was absolutely disgusted by it. He thought it was total crap.

I think I have mentioned this on another thread but the album really didn't do much for me either. I listened to it occasionally, but it took me until AFTER the release of Terria before I finally decided to give it a real chance.

I'm still slightly disappointed by the "OM"ission of the track Om and particularly Sit in the Mountain, which had it replaced the pretty awful Wild Colonial Boy, might have saved the album from my friend's verbal abuse.

Love the album but weak tracks are definitely Bad Devil and Wild Colonial Boy. Just think they bring the tone of the album down to what I initially thought, which was "My God, this album's just b-sides and studio fooling around!"

Give me OM or Terria or the Christeen EP spliced with the remainder of Infinity. In fact just replace Bad Devil with Om and WCB with Sit In The Mountain. That'd do it. That'd be perfect for me.

#75731 by rgx612a
Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:09 pm
I think it's right up there with Ocean Machine. it's a very eccentric sounding album, so not everyone is going to completly get it, which is why OM and Terria seem to be the most popular. They seemed to be the most grounded and down to earth sounding recirds, more people can relate with that.

#75759 by Marshall Bravestar
Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:57 pm
rgx612a wrote:I think it's right up there with Ocean Machine. it's a very eccentric sounding album, so not everyone is going to completly get it, which is why OM and Terria seem to be the most popular. They seemed to be the most grounded and down to earth sounding recirds, more people can relate with that.

I think you are right. However. that's not really a problem for me. I love eccentric music. I love stuff like Mr Bungle and Cardiacs, and I think that credit should be given to Dev for at least doing something completely off-the-wall. It's just purely my opinion that those few songs are sort of annoying and stick out a bit on the album. But hey! Maybe that's the point?!

BTW. I was in a bit of a shitty mood when I wrote that message the other night. Them songs aren't that bad I suppose...

Incidentally, I might add that it is quite disconcerting criticising Dev's music on his own website! But rest assured, I generally love DTB and SYL and all the other stuff he's done... so that could be why I really notice not liking these songs too much. Still find Random Analysis most skip-aholic tho. Me no likey!

#75768 by rgx612a
Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:30 pm
Marshall Bravestar wrote:
rgx612a wrote:I think it's right up there with Ocean Machine. it's a very eccentric sounding album, so not everyone is going to completly get it, which is why OM and Terria seem to be the most popular. They seemed to be the most grounded and down to earth sounding recirds, more people can relate with that.

I think you are right. However. that's not really a problem for me. I love eccentric music. I love stuff like Mr Bungle and Cardiacs, and I think that credit should be given to Dev for at least doing something completely off-the-wall. It's just purely my opinion that those few songs are sort of annoying and stick out a bit on the album. But hey! Maybe that's the point?!

BTW. I was in a bit of a shitty mood when I wrote that message the other night. Them songs aren't that bad I suppose...

Incidentally, I might add that it is quite disconcerting criticising Dev's music on his own website! But rest assured, I generally love DTB and SYL and all the other stuff he's done... so that could be why I really notice not liking these songs too much. Still find Random Analysis most skip-aholic tho. Me no likey!

There's a couple songs on Infinity that are not so great, but I even think Terria has a few songs that are not so good. The good songs more than make up for the weak songs though.

#75808 by Marshall Bravestar
Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:00 pm
Greg Reason wrote:There's a couple songs on Infinity that are not so great, but I even think Terria has a few songs that are not so good. The good songs more than make up for the weak songs though.

Again, I'd agree! As mentioned elsewhere (because we're kinda crossing project forums on this topic) I find the first two tracks of Terria fairly skippable. I don't disklike them at all, and everytime I do listen to those tracks I think they give Earth Day even more of a grand entrance.

But quite often, I just skip right past 'em.

More contentious still, I do the same thing with Death of Music sometimes, because the quiet mix winds me up. I suppose I could just turn it up... :roll: It is a top song!

#77134 by GDiddy
Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:53 pm

I like terria, but only after about a year of owning it. I can't find anybody else who actually likes it. Most people like Infinity as soon as they hear Christeen. I've found it to be the most popular.

#77152 by King Fear
Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:08 am
Comparing Ocean Machine, Infinity and Terria and, what is more, RANKING them, seems a pretty internettish thing to me. And wholly useless, too.

#77179 by Blazingmonga
Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:19 am
King Fear wrote:Comparing Ocean Machine, Infinity and Terria and, what is more, RANKING them, seems a pretty internettish thing to me. And wholly useless, too.

You are on the internet, aren't you?

The comparison of all these albums may be useless, but it makes for good conversation and is interesting in its own right. And it is exactly what this place is for.

Ranking them is obviously totally subjective though.

What am I saying? I dont know! Aaah!

#77333 by CardDinour
Mon May 02, 2005 9:03 pm
i just got it in the mail last night, tracys smileys are cool :)

ive heard Truth before but having heard it in CD quality, it just blew me away! the rest of the album is awesome! i cant wait to spin it some more.

but as of right now, i only own I,P,T,AE and Terria or Physicist have to be top for me :)

#77389 by rgx612a
Tue May 03, 2005 7:08 pm
CardDinour wrote:i just got it in the mail last night, tracys smileys are cool :)

ive heard Truth before but having heard it in CD quality, it just blew me away! the rest of the album is awesome! i cant wait to spin it some more.

but as of right now, i only own I,P,T,AE and Terria or Physicist have to be top for me :)

You should of got Ocean machine a long time ago, it's the best Devy album IMO.

#79419 by Fiery Gun Hand
Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:35 am
I do think it's probably my favourite album of his, even though i obviously love most of his stuff.I think it has to do with it's genuinely madcap, unpredictable edge that i find just easier to digest than the more lengthy atmospheric likes of Ocean Machine or Terria even though it's his most 'avant garde' release (imo)

#79719 by Hellhammer
Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:51 pm
Lately, I have loved this album much more than I did a while ago. I found it was just one of those albums I had to listen to more and more, and then I liked it more and more. So I am glad that I did.

#79997 by rgx612a
Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:09 am
Hellhammer wrote:Lately, I have loved this album much more than I did a while ago. I found it was just one of those albums I had to listen to more and more, and then I liked it more and more. So I am glad that I did.

Yeah me too. It's really a grower, and more so for me than any other album I've ever heard. I enjoyed it right off the bat (like every one of Devy's albums) but it just got better and better with every listen and still doing so. The album's just tailing Ocean Machine right now as my second favourite album of his, but it may become my favourite Devy album in time.