The infinite waltz, welcome home, ladies and gentlemen
#61582 by Greg Reason
Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:08 pm
I've put much thought into this, and I must admit that I find it very very very difficult to seperate the Holy Trinity of Om, Infinity and Terria from each other but I have to say that after careful consideration, I find Infinity to be the very best that devin has to offer so far.

Ocean machine is wonderful, of course, a beautiful mellow album with a great flow linking all the tracks, fantastic singing and awesome production.... Terria is lush and ambient as all fuck, beautifully concieved and executed, and it features some of Devin's absolute best songs... BUT......

Infinity sounds unlike anything that has ever been. It is unique, the product of one mind and one mind alone, Devin Garrett Townsend. No one else could have made this record! It has his stamp all over it, from the immense stacks of vocals to the gigantic production and sweeping synthesizers... It is the sound of a man struggling with his own conceptions of himself, of the world, of music, of the universe.....

It is the closest Devin has ever come to making the sound that God is. In my opinion, we are all God and so therefore every sound that is is of God, but if I were asked to put a label on a singular piece of sonic goodness as to summarize God himself, it would be "Truth". Never before have I been so totally blown away by a singular piece of music, and never again will I be, I daresay....

From start to finish, this album is a masterwork, above and beyond the minds of each and every one of us that attempt to comprehend what this man was going through in order to create it. Glory be.

#61588 by mo
Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:41 pm
Even coming from a Terria fan, you make some good points.

To me, the two stand out projects have been infinity and SYL. SYL because its FULL STOP, not like any fucking metal I've ever heard!!! There's nothing like it! That's why SYL will always get my kudos.

Infinity has the same effect but instead of it just being compared against the metal genre, it is compared against all genres. Infinity is fucking remarkable and I have truly never heard anything like it either.

#61607 by Coma Divine
Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:07 am
I had been wondering how long it would be before you stumbled in here and found this little " " playground G.R... :wink: :lol:

Happier'n a pig in shit I bet!

#61613 by Amaran
Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:27 am
I totally agree with you, Greg.

But it took me quite some time to realize this fact. One evening a few months back in September, I smoked some weed, put on Infinity and listened to it with headphones in my bed. It was like - ummm... this can't be described.

Well, it's just like I was listening to an absolutely new record, although I already owned the album for more than a year at that time. And it was not just that I was "listening to a record" - the things that were happening in front of my mind's eye were unbelievable, while I was listening to it. I heard stuff, I never knew was there in the first place, I heard it all and understood the record completely for the first time. The funny thing is; I already thought I'd understood the album in the past, but it took until that very evening until I noticed I was totally wrong.

This may sound like I was on 'shrooms or something, but I wasn't ;) It's really that good!! :D Just listen to it under the conditions I did and (hopefully) you will know what I mean \m/

#61636 by EphelDuath666
Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:48 am
it takes quite a while to get into that Album and that´s why I love it...in the beginning I really didn´t know what to think of it but now I really love it. Still not my favorite Devy Album though...

#61678 by tesseract
Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:25 pm
If I can't count the +4 demos (I love Om) then I agree, Infinity is the best - just beating Terria. But I'm all about originality and creativity so that's my opinion.

#61679 by Mordecai
Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:41 pm
Terria.

#61712 by Olive?
Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:13 am
Great great album.
But Terria is the best!

#61788 by ForceFed
Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:39 am
It's wierd for me, depending on my mood I could have a different favorite album of Dev's everyday. Infinity is possibly his best, but I tend to lean more towards Terria, or even OM as being as good or better.

#61802 by Blazingmonga
Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:50 am
...I'll get back to this thread with my review of why this album makes me go so very squishy....! Soon!

#61832 by ForceFed
Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:00 pm
High points of the album -

Truth (God in musical form. Best opener to an album i've ever heard.)
Bad Devil (Almost too catchy, one of the only songs that gives me an uncontrolable urge to dance)
Ants (Insanity in musical form. This probably sums up alot of Dev's music :P )
Unity (A complete state of peace and relaxation. It comforts me in a way that I didn't think music could before.)

The rest is good, there isn't really one bad song on the album, but there is something about it that I cannot explain, something that feels repetitive throughout. I think it might be the keys, some sound that appears to continue through the entire album. Almost like it's a whole blur of a song, even though the riffs and everything else don't flow together. Some may really like that, I can appreciate it and this album remains among my favorites from any band for those high moments, but there are times where it just becomes tedious for me. Like I said in my last post, it can change daily. Like now, i'm listening to Colonial Boy and the part that begins at like 1:25, I never took great notice to before...and want to list it among my high points. It's AMAZING how Devy's music does this with me, depending on my mood, one song can go from being a favorite to just "okay". No other band/artist has ever been able to do that to me before.

#61968 by Olive?
Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:28 am
ForceFed wrote:It's wierd for me, depending on my mood I could have a different favorite album of Dev's everyday.

The same for me. There's a Devin for every state of mind!! But Terria for me fits for every mood.

ForceFed wrote:Bad Devil (Almost too catchy, one of the only songs that gives me an uncontrolable urge to dance)

YEAH!! TRUE!! :lol:

#62026 by Blazingmonga
Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:15 am
Hey everyone...I was thinking about what I should say in my reply to this. I have a huge personal connection with this album, and it was particularly relevant to me during a bad patch a few years back. After that bad patch I wrote a sort of 'essay' about the album (6 pages of gibberish!!!) trying to explain what had happened to my head after listening so much to this very soothing album.

Do you want to see it? I have had it for a very long time and am not sure if it is a good thing for others to see it. Still, it sums up my thoughts on the album quite well!

#62040 by Amaran
Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:29 am
hey, Blazing, that sounds interesting, really! Would be cool to read it! PM me or something, ok? :) thanx :!:

#62077 by Olive?
Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:25 am
I really would like to read it!