The infinite waltz, welcome home, ladies and gentlemen

#69599 by Marshall Bravestar
Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:50 pm
Gutted.

I found Infinity his most annoying album for ages, because I thought it seemed like a bunch of b-sides or something. Or more positively VERY diverse. I now see that it wasn't really supposed to be so diverse, but rather an epic concept piece.

I loved it eventually of course, but after recently purchasing the Christeen EP, I never realised just how incredible the album should've been. It would've been almost 100% avant garde metal.

What a pity some corporate cock jockey infiltrated Devin's creative process. Scrapping the "pop" tunes and daft seeming filler stuff like Wild Colonial Boy and Ants, and you would have an album that was as consistant as all of Devin's other work.

The main difference is that Infinity would have gone from being my personal difficult album, to my favourite, because I love everything off Christeen EP.

#69618 by Greg Reason
Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:15 pm
Eh, it's still my favourite... I would really consider anythign on there to be filler, I think that Devin puts enough emotion and feeling into every track so that each one is worthwhile for a different reason. I think "Ants" especially gives a very important aspect to the album, the absolute zaniness that implies insanity, which is only really hinted at in the "home everybody eeh ah" bit prior.... "Ants" takes it a step further, brings it to a really tripping level, you know? Humans are just ants, running around hunting for money.... It's a good observation to make.

#69619 by Greg Reason
Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:17 pm
thefillersweetcityjesus wrote:gotcha, thanks !

as far as teh first setlist goes for inifinity i just realized that bad devil isnt on it. thank god it is now :) that song is prob one of my favs all time.

Personally I find that Bad Devil is the one I could most easily live without, although I do find it's meaning (or at least my take on it) to be rather crucial to the album... Musically, though, I think it pulls the album in a direction I would rather it didn't take, but it is Devin's art and not mine...

#69820 by Marshall Bravestar
Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:44 am
That's fair enough Greg, I suppose it boils down to a matter of opinion on that one.

I guess you're right about how much emotion Dev puts into stuff though, I mean, consider just how good quality the "demo" material off the Christeen EP is. That stuff isn't finished and it still blows away most other band's life work!!

I just think that the album would've sounded far more intense with the tracklist you proposed, and that on balance I prefer Processional to Bad Devil and so on.

But like I said, I suppose it's a matter of opinion.

Good luck on trying to get Inifnity mkII mixed properly btw, sounds like you're one dedicated Dev fan!

#71912 by GDiddy
Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:05 pm
gurp13 wrote:Personally, I would argue against making the copies and distributing them. It's possible that I'm misunderstanding what you're proposing. However, it sounds like you're saying that we should take the songs off the Christeen demo and REPLACE them into the midst of the Infinity songs and re-create the "original" Infinity lineup. Then, we burn those discs and trade them with each other, with no money exchanging hands. This would still represent a violation of copyright since it is beyond the fair use doctrine to make a copy and give it to someone else. Sure, you won't get prosecuted, or anything. But, I just think that if people want to do this "project" they should go and buy the Christeen demo album and do it themselves.

That's my two cents worth. I hope it was helpful. I don't mean to make anyone angry.

I agree. If these tracks were not available for sale, it would be a different situation. But you can purchase these albums, and I'm sure the artist would prefer that you pay for the cds rather than just copying them.

#71920 by simen_88
Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:50 pm
GDiddy wrote:
gurp13 wrote:Personally, I would argue against making the copies and distributing them. It's possible that I'm misunderstanding what you're proposing. However, it sounds like you're saying that we should take the songs off the Christeen demo and REPLACE them into the midst of the Infinity songs and re-create the "original" Infinity lineup. Then, we burn those discs and trade them with each other, with no money exchanging hands. This would still represent a violation of copyright since it is beyond the fair use doctrine to make a copy and give it to someone else. Sure, you won't get prosecuted, or anything. But, I just think that if people want to do this "project" they should go and buy the Christeen demo album and do it themselves.

That's my two cents worth. I hope it was helpful. I don't mean to make anyone angry.

I agree. If these tracks were not available for sale, it would be a different situation. But you can purchase these albums, and I'm sure the artist would prefer that you pay for the cds rather than just copying them.
To be honest, I don't think he gives a fuck about exactly that.

#74543 by organic spiral
Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:34 am
How are the quality of the songs on that EP? Are they like demos like his Ass-Sordid stuff or are they just unfinished songs with a great production. I'm wondering if its worth it to buy the EP for these songs

#74545 by Metalmonkey
Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:19 am
organic spiral wrote:How are the quality of the songs on that EP? Are they like demos like his Ass-Sordid stuff or are they just unfinished songs with a great production. I'm wondering if its worth it to buy the EP for these songs

Same quality mix (or almost) as Infinity, just like the song "Ocean machine" on Ass Sordid.

And YES, it is worth purchasing it :)

#76767 by Amaran
Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:56 pm
I just listened to it. It it SO FUCKING AMAZING you won't believe it. The album is really totally different with that song order.

I spent about 4 to 5 hours with the mixing, most of the time to get the crossfading right and to make sure it doesn't sound like it's a compilation disc with random Dev songs or whatever. I guess what I did is pretty good and it's really hard to make it any better. The best part is when Processional ends and all of a sudden Christeen kicks in - that part sounds like it really was intended that way and it sounds at least a 100 times better than the transition between Truth and Christeen on the normal Infinity.

Now I like Infinity even more...well I feel like I didn't really know Infinity until now.

#76962 by King Fear
Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:32 am
Thanks for the extensive information in the first part of the initial post in this thread.

However, I strongly disagree on the use of the term "original Infinity" for the version with the tracklist given there. Calling it "original" seems, at least to me, rooted in this idealized, slightly naive notion of artists as self-contained, autonomous geniuses who let their creativity flow unfiltered into their work. Throughout the ages, works of art have been heavily influenced, shaped and formed - sometimes for worse, but I dare to say more often for the better - by patrons or other people who, at the end of the day, payed for the work and the livelihood of the artist.
What I'm trying to say is: there is only one "original" Infinity, which is the version that was eventually released, whatever the circumstances that led to its actual form and content might have been.

The fact that modern technology enables the consumer to compile their own versions of works, especially with digitally recorded music (you already start editing you own version once you start compiling tracks into you mp3 player's playlist in a different order than on the original record) doesn't change this one bit.
Everything else is wishful "what if" thinking (albeit interesting, but still).

#78749 by Coma Divine
Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:07 am
Amaran wrote:I just listened to it. It it SO FUCKING AMAZING you won't believe it. The album is really totally different with that song order.

I spent about 4 to 5 hours with the mixing, most of the time to get the crossfading right and to make sure it doesn't sound like it's a compilation disc with random Dev songs or whatever. I guess what I did is pretty good and it's really hard to make it any better. The best part is when Processional ends and all of a sudden Christeen kicks in - that part sounds like it really was intended that way and it sounds at least a 100 times better than the transition between Truth and Christeen on the normal Infinity.

Now I like Infinity even more...well I feel like I didn't really know Infinity until now.
I..er...happened upon it yesterday...

Quite an amazing difference! :D

#79025 by Greg Reason
Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:30 am
King Fear wrote:Everything else is wishful "what if" thinking (albeit interesting, but still).

Devin doesn't seem to think so. It was only a short while ago that he mentioned on this very forum that he went into his studio and began re-editing the material into it's original order...

The thing that prevented him from completing the rework is that he found that he is not in that headspace anymore. Either way, it's the original version by his admission.

#79039 by Janne
Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:19 am
Greg Reason wrote:It was only a short while ago that he mentioned on this very forum that he went into his studio and began re-editing the material into it's original order...

The thing that prevented him from completing the rework is that he found that he is not in that headspace anymore. Either way, it's the original version by his admission.

I must've missed that comment from Devin. Still, I'm with King Fear on this one. Because even if there was an intent to have the album sound otherwise, with a different selection of songs and in a different order ("otherwise" and "different" as in "not like on the official release of Infinity"), and even if a reworking of the album was started, the finished product and the only existing version (not counting the idea(s) or vision(s) in the composers head) of Infinity is the one that is for sale in all good music stores and on HDR. Which means that there isn't much room for an "original" version, as I see it.

What would change my mind would be a demotape or likewise, where Devin himself has the songs in the desired - i.e. "original" - order. Only then would I feel that we could talk about a truly original version.
Whatever way we choose to call this "alternative" version doesn't really matter that much though, does it? The main thing is that it's an interesting discussion that gives yet another dimension to this great album. :D

#85506 by TimCo
Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:15 am
It's an interesting idea. When creating a winamp playlist to emulate the flow I hit a brick wall.

Isn't Star Child Rise part of Processional? How is everyone reconciling this?