The infinite waltz, welcome home, ladies and gentlemen

#134831 by JayjayAbnormal
Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:22 pm
I just made a mix of the album with this tracklisting

Truth
Processional (Welcome Home/Infinity Waltz)
Christeen
War
Starchild Rise
Soul Driven
Om
Dynamics
Unity

Not a cheap, thrown together mix. I made sure the transition from Truth to Processional (Where 'Welcome Home' begins) was decent. I showed a friend a clip and he was impressed. I also separated Starchild and made it sound good. and basically I used ACID Pro (With Goldwave to merge 2-3 songs in 1 WAV) and than made 1 huge wave file, and than used a cue sheet and burned it to a disc with 9 different tracks.

So in other words, I was really bored and was curious to hear a differently bridged Infinity :P

#134862 by Mazaro
Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:49 am
I just listened to the alternate tracklist... and wow... of all of the projects he's done that could have turned out differently than the way he wanted, why'd it have to be Infinity? I swear, this would have been the most earth-shatteringly amazing album... I thought it was ALREADY, but this version is twice as good, I'm serious...

I love the unincluded songs too but somehow I don't miss them at all.

Devin, PLEASE finish it the way it was meant to be!

I didn't do the Star Child Rise cut from Processional, and I do feel like there was a slight loss of momentum between War and Soul Driven Cadillac, even though the end of War clearly leads into Soul Driven... So I guess I subscribe to the idea that Star Child Rise should be there.

#134872 by Das Schuetzenfest
Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:51 pm
JayjayAbnormal wrote:So in other words, I was really bored and was curious to hear a differently bridged Infinity :P

Care
to share
somewhere?

I'd really like to hear it.

#134959 by hairy
Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:22 am
Das Schuetzenfest wrote:
JayjayAbnormal wrote:So in other words, I was really bored and was curious to hear a differently bridged Infinity :P

Care
to share
somewhere?

I'd really like to hear it.

Same here...
:wink:

#135551 by Edkaye
Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:04 pm
If you check the Hevydevy FAQs you will find this:
What was the original order of songs/intended order of the songs on Infinity, with the EP ?

Metamorphosis~Infinite Waltz~Starchild would have been track two. om would have been after Soul Driven. Starchild, Soul Driven, om. Sit in the Mountain would not have been included. Love Load was included on the Unit:187 single "Stillborn".

Truth
Processional
Christeen
War
Soul Driven
om
Dynamics
Unity

All the others were not going to be included.

The tracklisting leads me to believe that processional should stay in one piece, whereas the text above says that the order should be Starchild, Soul Driven, om. But it also says that track 2 should be Metamorphosis~Infinite Waltz~Starchild. I think the text above is a little confused, so I would be tempted to go with the tracklisting lais out.

It doesn't make that much sense to me to cut out Star Child, because Processional it is really just one song, with multiple movements, much like something you would expect to see from Dream Theater or PoS.

#135580 by Blazingmonga
Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:30 am
Edkaye wrote:It doesn't make that much sense to me to cut out Star Child, because Processional it is really just one song, with multiple movements, much like something you would expect to see from Dream Theater or PoS.

Well, it certainly works well as one song...but if you listen closely you will be able to hear the seperate parts quite clearly. I think they were all recorded seperately and then 'stuck' together for the Christeen EP. I am fairly sure that it wasnt intended to be in the form that we have available.

#135756 by frog
Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:07 am
into the voigtex wrote:This differs from Greg's version, in which StarChild is placed after War and before Soul Driven. To me, this severely disrupts the flow of the album and should be left as part of Processional. War and Soul Driven flow together, in the same way that Dynamics flows into Unity. At nearly 12 minutes in length, Processional (with the undisputably majestic Star Child Rise intact as its overture) makes the start of the album more of a meandering journey towards Infinity's centerpiece, Soul Driven. Om then becomes another reiteration of the "home" theme which is then finally concluded with Unity.

Are you sure you're not ignoring the mastering error? The soft ending of war is actually the beginning of Soul Driven. It was split in the wrong spot.

In any case, the original Infinity really is a totally different album. Instead of being an immediate, attention-grabbing mad circus, it's an introspective, hypnotic exploration. However, I have to say that I really enjoy all of the madness of the final version, and probably ultimately prefer it.

Also, remember that these songs were unfinished, and that if he had completed the album this way, it would have sounded totally different.

Using the tracklist with all the songs is downright massive. It's an epic that feels even bigger and more diverse that Ocean Machine. I rather like it, although it is a little bit bulky and I'm not sure how well it holds together.

#137662 by Das Schuetzenfest
Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:07 am
I just finished making my own versions of the "original" Infinity album.

One version ("2.1") features this succession:

Truth
Processional (Welcome Home/Infinity Waltz)
Christeen
War
Starchild Rise
Soul Driven
Om
Dynamics
Unity

It's heavily inspired by JayjayAbnormal's effort (thanks for the files), but it's just one track with no pauses and sometimes different transitions (I had to cut out the intro to Soul Driven - blasphemy, I know). I guess I'll have to work on it again and re-cut some parts, considering that the "end" of War is actually the intro to Soul Driven.

The other version ("2.0") features Processional intact:

Truth
Processional
Christeen
War
Soul Driven
om
Dynamics
Unity

Again it is one file with no pauses and with what I consider to be almost seamless transitions between songs. And it sounds wonderful. I'm almost proud. :D

Are there any connections between the two different versions of Infinity and the "red" and "blue" mix Devin talked about back then btw.?

#137668 by Goat
Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:57 am
Haha, I love the phrase "my version of the original Infinity" :lol:

#137671 by Das Schuetzenfest
Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:33 am
Oh, as I'm messing around with the transition from War (with the huge explosion at the end) to Starchild:

Anybody else who has an Odyssey 2001/2010 déjà vu? :shock:

"ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS, EXCEPT EUROPA. ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE. USE THEM TOGETHER. USE THEM IN PEACE."

#141428 by Marshall Bravestar
Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:56 pm
Just iTuned the alleged original track list, and I find it hard to hear Om anywhere apart from straight after Christeen. Obviously they were mixed back to back for the EP, but that long drum part at the beginning with the guitars feeding back; they go from Christeen to Om kicking in seemlessly.

However, the cool thing about Soul Driven to Om is, if you remove the drum intro from Om, it goes "la la la la laow!" and then straight into "ow ow ow ow!" which to be honest sounds f**kin' cool and is just the sort of irreverent segue you'd expect from Dev.

#141449 by Chris
Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:43 am
Hey, haven't read anything from you for a while now...

When I re-did Infinity (ha, this sounds so fucking strange) I liked using a looong fade-in at the beginning of OM, with the volume reaching its climax when all the instruments finally kick in.

That being said, I still feel this desire to hear the album completely the way Dev originally intended it.

#141732 by Das Schuetzenfest
Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:04 pm
Chris wrote:Hey, haven't read anything from you for a while now...

When I re-did Infinity (ha, this sounds so fucking strange) I liked using a looong fade-in at the beginning of OM, with the volume reaching its climax when all the instruments finally kick in.

Pretty similarly, I used the fade-out sounds of Christeen as the fade-in sound for the Om drum intro, mixed with the last ten or so seconds of Soul Driven.

That being said, I still feel this desire to hear the album completely the way Dev originally intended it.

Of course! :o

#141754 by Chris
Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:22 am
Das Schuetzenfest wrote:
Chris wrote:That being said, I still feel this desire to hear the album completely the way Dev originally intended it.

Of course! :o

Boy, did I really write this? What strange out-of-line statements I sometimes tend to make... :roll:

#141794 by Marshall Bravestar
Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:03 pm
Chris wrote:Hey, haven't read anything from you for a while now...

Yeah, one of my friends set up a website and I've been kinda side-tracked with that for some time. Also been delving into a frightening amount of prog rock! However, getting hold of The Hummer re-invigorated my desire for the Dev! What an experience that one is!

Infinity's such a mysterious album, you can't help but wanna hear an Infinity Redux! Plus, it is coming up to it's tenth anniversary, so it'd be great timing for a fan-only remix *hint hint Devin!!!*

A bit off topic but is it just me, or does anyone else think Processional (and particularly Star Child Rise) really changes the mood of the album? It makes me feel odd. I don't know how to describe it. Uneasy perhaps? A really deep intangible emotion that's unsettling yet familiar. Whatever it is, it definitely makes the album feel much more imposing, and makes me want this version even more. Not a replacement, but an option, if you will.