The infinite waltz, welcome home, ladies and gentlemen

#85512 by Biert
Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:07 am
TimCo wrote:It's an interesting idea. When creating a winamp playlist to emulate the flow I hit a brick wall.

Isn't Star Child Rise part of Processional? How is everyone reconciling this?

Somewhere earlier in the thread someone stated that Starchild Rise is the first part of Processional, yes. I don't have the track or the EP so I wouldn't know.

#85515 by TimCo
Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:18 am
If the track order is

TRUTH
PROCESSIONAL
CHRISTEEN
WAR
STARCHILD RISE
SOUL DRIVEN
OM
DYNAMICS
UNITY

I understand to isolate Starchild Rise from Processional, but if track 2 is Processional, does Processional start with Welcome Home instead?

#85584 by gurp13
Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:41 pm
I think one of the reasons we refer to this as the "original" track lineup is that we have some reason to believe that this is what Devin had in mind when he was originally coming up with the album. But, whatever. I think it's just a name we're using to describe it.

FWIW, I have heard the "original" track mix and it is very interesting indeed. (And, for the record, I own both Infinity and the EP, both legally purchased with royalties going to our beloved artist (hell, he got all the money for the EP 'cause I bought it from HDR)) I think that I like this version of the album better. I was never a big fan of Bad Devil or Wild Colonial Boy (though I do like Noisy Pink Bubbles quite a bit, but it doesn't really seem to fit on the album). This mix of the tracks seems very BIG somehow. Very, er, infinite. Sorry. :-) Good stuff!

#89604 by doomsoldier
Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:39 pm
Processional is probably my least favorite Devin song of them all, so I much prefer the final tracklist to this one. It would have been really nice to have had Om on Infinity, though.

#89632 by VampireDaveGrohl
Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:41 am
I have Infinity, but i haven't got the Christeen EP. I'm broke. Damn, i really really want to hear this mix now, especially as the Christeen EP songs are new to me.

#89641 by Chris
Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:22 am
VampireDaveGrohl wrote:I have Infinity, but i haven't got the Christeen EP. I'm broke. Damn, i really really want to hear this mix now, especially as the Christeen EP songs are new to me.

I'm not the first and not the last one to say this, but goddamn, you have to get it. Go and offer sexual services to your queen or do whatever it takes you to get the money! And although it's quite interesting to hear the album as it once was intended to come out, in the first place, the tracks on the Christeen EP itself are totally wort the money. Sit In The Mountain and OM are among my favourite Dev songs. Especially OM blew me away during the first listens...

Sweet sweet memories.

#89649 by funny_little_guy
Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:34 am
Yeah the christeen EP is really quite amazing, I was blown away when I heard it I could never have imagined how good the songs were. Speaking of which I still haven't made an orininal infinity mix I really should get around to it.

#96212 by brimir
Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:24 pm
LOL....I remember in 1998 (or was it ´97) when I read an interview with Dev in Metal Hammer where he was discussing the Infinity album.....He was saying that Infinity would just be one 78 minute song......I guess a lot of things changed along the way.....

#96575 by funny_little_guy
Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:41 am
Haha interesting how thats now how he''s describing the next DTB album.

#96585 by Yanko
Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:00 am
at least it's already done and he's still describing it like that :D

#98778 by into the voigtex
Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:09 pm
TimCo wrote: Isn't Star Child Rise part of Processional? How is everyone reconciling this?

Simple. I'm not. :wink:

I am firmly of the opinion that Star Child Rise should NOT be separated from the other three parts of Processional. There was perhaps some confusion with the original email all those years ago, but the complete track order as I understood it was as follows:

Truth
Processional
Christeen
War
Soul Driven
Om
Dynamics
Unity

This differs from Greg's version, in which StarChild is placed after War and before Soul Driven. To me, this severely disrupts the flow of the album and should be left as part of Processional. War and Soul Driven flow together, in the same way that Dynamics flows into Unity. At nearly 12 minutes in length, Processional (with the undisputably majestic Star Child Rise intact as its overture) makes the start of the album more of a meandering journey towards Infinity's centerpiece, Soul Driven. Om then becomes another reiteration of the "home" theme which is then finally concluded with Unity.

As Greg mentioned in his first post in this thread, listening to Infinity with the "original" track listing is a different experience. To my mind it's probably closer in keeping with the original intention of this album, which in part is a documentation of a personal epiphany. The purity of that original vision (such as I understand it) seems better captured without the inclusion of Bad Devil, Ants, Colonial Boy & Noisy Pink Bubbles. Don't get me wrong, I love every one of those songs (especially NPB, it's up there with Truth as one of my all-time favourite Dev songs from any album) but as much as I appreciate them, they are songs which don't seem to fit with the overriding core theme of Infinity. It could even be argued that Christeen could be sacrificed from the track order to further increase the "stream-of-consciousness" feel of the album.

Ultimately, however, I love every single one of the tracks from the Infinity period, and I have also experimented with adding all of theseInfinity "bonus" tracks into the track running order (with the exception of Love-Load, which was a remix of a Unit187 song and was never intended to be part of Infinity). I think I've found a way to have my cake and eat it too.

Truth
Processional
Christeen
Bad Devil
Sit In The Mountain
War
Soul Driven
Om
Ants
Colonial Boy
Dynamics
Unity
Noisy Pink Bubbles

This is more of a "complete and unabridged" version of Infinity, which is great cause you get everything! Infinity originally took me a while to warm to, but to this day it's still my favourite Devin album, surpassing Terria and only just beating out Ocean Machine.

I've found that for me, the best way to alter the ordering of songs is as simple as creating a new playlist in iTunes. But hey, whatever way you listen to it, whatever the order of the songs is, it's still a brilliant piece of music.

And yes, after more than seven years, I still get goosebumps from the "hallelujah's" in Truth.

Ro

#98790 by Tracy
Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:04 pm
What a pity some corporate cock jockey infiltrated Devin's creative process. Scrapping the "pop" tunes and daft seeming filler stuff like Wild Colonial Boy and Ants, and you would have an album that was as consistant as all of Devin's other work.

You guys are being far more severe than warranted. The label guy had no influence on what songs were included or not. He was just there to enforce the deadline. Devin was WAYYY overdue on delivery and if the guy didn't show up, recording would have gone on for months longer. The songs that went on the album are the ones that were finished. No pressure for any kind of end result from the label, just time constraints. Sony was actually remarkably patient.

#99140 by gurp13
Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:43 pm
into the voigtex wrote:Ultimately, however, I love every single one of the tracks from the Infinity period, and I have also experimented with adding all of theseInfinity "bonus" tracks into the track running order (with the exception of Love-Load, which was a remix of a Unit187 song and was never intended to be part of Infinity). I think I've found a way to have my cake and eat it too.

Truth
Processional
Christeen
Bad Devil
Sit In The Mountain
War
Soul Driven
Om
Ants
Colonial Boy
Dynamics
Unity
Noisy Pink Bubbles

This is more of a "complete and unabridged" version of Infinity, which is great cause you get everything! Infinity originally took me a while to warm to, but to this day it's still my favourite Devin album, surpassing Terria and only just beating out Ocean Machine.

I made a playlist last night like this on my iPod. You know, if the beginning of Processional were blended with the end of Truth it would totally fit. In fact, the drum beat is very similar in the Starchild Rise portion. Very interesting.

I also like the "break" between Bad Devil and War with having Sit in the Mountain between them. I wouldn't mind dropping Ants, though and I'm iffy about Colonial Boy. It's never been a favorite of mine (with apologies to Tracy).

Anyway, try it out. Some of the transitions are a little abrupt because of the mix and flow of the original album, but it's cool.

#111547 by BenMech
Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:04 pm
Wasn't it rumoured recently that Devin wanted to come back to Infinity now that he's played with Synchestra and SYL and really finish everything up "correctly"?

#111590 by gurp13
Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:00 pm
BenMech wrote:Wasn't it rumoured recently that Devin wanted to come back to Infinity now that he's played with Synchestra and SYL and really finish everything up "correctly"?

I think that was just that. A rumor. I don't think there's any truth to it. I'm pretty sure I've read that Devin won't revist a "completed" project. It's just like so many wanting him to remaster Physicist. It won't happen. Not until he's an old man and his arthritic fingers won't allow him to play anymore. Devin's on such a prolific artistic kick right now I can't see him stopping to revist old material like that. He's barely taking time to tour for Synchestra while he's rehearsing material for a new SYL album. Then, there's Hummer and probably a new DTB album for 2007.

I'll eat my CD of Infinity if he ever re-does it, or remixes or remasters it.