The infinite waltz, welcome home, ladies and gentlemen

#81564 by Hellhammer
Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:07 pm
The way you see this song makes sense to me Greg, I don't even know what I could add to it. Just a song about love in many forms I guess, love for yourself and others and recieving it.

#83525 by Atari
Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:09 pm
I can't find Christeen to buy. Any ideas?

#83530 by Blazingmonga
Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:24 pm
Atari wrote:I can't find Christeen to buy. Any ideas?

Where are you looking for it? Christeen is the second song on the album 'Infinity', and it can usually be found there. The album can usually also be found in a CD shop, or even better....buy it from http://www.HevyDevy.com .

Although it is also found on the Christeen EP and the Christeen single as well. I recommend getting the EP, its fantastic.

Sorry if I am stating the obvious or seeming like I am talking rubbish, for I have had too many mangoes tonight.

#83531 by Atari
Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:55 pm
It is the Christeen EP i'm looking for.

#83532 by Blazingmonga
Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:13 pm
It is available from http://www.HevyDevy.com for $15 (including postage) so if you have a credit card or paypal account you can easily get it from there. You can also pay in other methods, check out the site for details.

You will have hard luck seeing it inyour local shops though, its not something that is well stocked, even if you can get the Infinity album.

Hope that helps!

#83533 by Atari
Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:29 pm
aha.......called the Infinity EP, no wonder I didn't spot it earlier.

#83769 by Barking Pumpkin
Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:35 pm
Darn......I thought someone had responded to my ponderings. Maybe I should make a new topic. ^_^

#86258 by HauntingTheHoly
Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:39 pm
Barking Pumpkin wrote:This discussion is an interesting for me.......I guess one of the other reasons I kind of saw it as a twist on "All I Ask Of You" was that it didn't seem to be a really emotionally deep song like "Storm," but rather full of kind of larger than live faux-emotion. That's kind of how it seemed to me........

This is exactly correct that the song refers to the Phantom, and I really think that part is so obvious that it goes without saying. Of course, one would have to be familiar with the Phantom of the Opera, as you said. The only question for discussion is: How satirical is this song? I do sense the faux-emotion you mention, but I also could see the song simply being something Dev wanted to write to honor the Play or whaterver. *shrug*

#86277 by Chris
Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:02 am
HauntingTheHoly wrote:This is exactly correct that the song refers to the Phantom, and I really think that part is so obvious that it goes without saying. Of course, one would have to be familiar with the Phantom of the Opera, as you said. The only question for discussion is: How satirical is this song? I do sense the faux-emotion you mention, but I also could see the song simply being something Dev wanted to write to honor the Play or whaterver. *shrug*

I guess if it was "only" meant to honor Phantom Of The Opera, the quotations would have just appeared on this one song, but Christeen is not the only song where connections to Webber's musical can be found. Not just because of the lyrics, but also concerning the music. So yeah... That's why I prefer using the word "influence" rather than saying that Dev "pays honor" to it.

But you're right, the quotations are very obvious, so the possibility is still given. And maybe it's both, since it isn't a contradiction at all. Unless Devin discussed it in an interview, all we can do is guess.

EDIT: Oh yeah, of course - when you're influenced from something and you kinda "re-use" it in your own art, then that's also some sort of paying honor to it, right? Even if you didn't mean to do so. (Which sometimes is just a nice way of saying that you stole an idea.)

#86471 by VampireDaveGrohl
Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:54 am
a little credit to Ginger too, didn't he co-write the song? Which parts i don't know though.

#87493 by Lula
Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:14 am
Barking Pumpkin wrote:
Anyway, I'll just put this here......I don't know anything about Devin's personal stuff......the first time I heard this song I thought it was based on "All I Ask Of You" from Phantom Of The Opera. Lyrically, several of the lyrics seem to be maybe a satirical twist on the lyrics from "All I Ask Of You," and musically, the chorus melody is similar to "All I Ask Of You." You have to know both songs to see the musical similarity.....but I'll post the lyrics to both here.

I was exactly the same :)

#87590 by Snaga
Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:40 am
Devin HAS cited Andrew Lloyd webber as a huge influence, and it can be seen in other songs too..

the 'bring on the young' vocals are extremely 'phantomesque'

#87668 by EvilPanda
Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:23 pm
asparagusDuck wrote:I thought I heard somewhere that Christeen was Tracy's sister. Anybody ever hear of this or am i crazy? I always liked this song but found it weird how he was singing "say you love me say you love yourself" to not Tracy, but her sister. Heh. Anyway, just curious if anybody else can back this up or disprove it. I've always been curious about this and I'm glad someone brought up the song for discussion.

I got an answer from Tracy herself back in 2000 when I emailed her and if I remember correctly Christeen refers to Devin's niece, and that she had some undisclosed problems.

#103674 by Devilius
Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:15 pm
psychotic wrote:Another song that I'm going to give my typical amazing comment to. Why? Because it really is another amazing Devin song. I love the power behind it, but that melody is easily what makes the song in a musical sense. The lyrics are awesome as well, very tender and caring, but with that Devin edge to it. I've heard many guesses as to what they're about, from a past girlfriend to yours and I think I recall someone on here even saying it's for his niece. Any of them make for a great song. I'd have to say that my favorite part of it though is when he screams "CHRISTEEN!" over and over again right after that line, "What's more is that feeling isn't failing anymore." That's what powerful is all about right there.

100% agree with you duder!