The infinite waltz, welcome home, ladies and gentlemen
#68617 by Greg Reason
Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:23 pm
OK, this is an interesting one... We all know that Devin has been with Tracey for a good long while now (and many congratulations are due! That sort of devotion is neither easy nor common) so it is a guess we've all made that assumption that the Christeen this track is named after is a psuedonym or metaphor...

I really don't know what to think about this track, but I guess I see it like this: Infinity is a far reaching album. I feel that as personal as it is, this album also aims to be far reaching and to touch many people by bringing forth feelings they have inside that perhaps they don't admit to many people, maybe not even to themselves. I think Christeen touches on that raw, fucked up aspect of all of us that needs love and attention, that needs the push and shove of a relationship.

"Running beyond the speed of sound
Calling beyond the speed of sound"

Perhaps the blatantly joyous refrain of love? That unconcealable happiness that comes with a truly satisfying love. I've felt that within myself on the odd occasion, and I've certainly seen it in others... You know, the big grin that never subsides despite the fact that there is nothing to be grinning about, the overall sense of satisfaction and warmth that trails behind those who are truly in love.... Could these lines be simply that?

"Say you love you, say you love yourself
Say you need me say you care
Say you want me, say you want yourself
Say you wanna be with me"

The relationship. Everyone needs to be told "I love you".... And similarly, sometimes our love for others is so great that we want them to feel that reciprocated. Sometimes we love someone so much that we want them to know every second of the day how much they are loved, that we care so deeply about them that even in their worst states we would be beside them... and everyone would know something of insecurity... Say you wanna be with me welllllll......

That's all I ask of you.... Relationships are hard, and it's hard trying to be on the same level as another human being because, inevitably, everyone looks at the world through different glasses, everyone is experiencing a different model to that which we are experiencing, and it's hard to always be on the same page as your lover. Damn hard.... I think perhaps this line is saying "it's OK, we are both different but I don't ask the impossible of you, I don't ask you to reciprocate my exact feelings for you and I certainly don't expect you to pledge undying love for me... Just tell me that you do want to be with me."

"Falling into the open doorways
Loving what anyone else would loathe"

This seems to be getting more spiritual again. The evolution of love into spiritual awareness? The growth of a deep, true love inside into a deep, true love of nature and of the world around us? Love taking us into a mellow point inside where we are more calm, more complacent, more observant and able to consider and appreciate those things that we passed by in our blind rage when we were not so satisfied? Is this saying that love is the bridge to understanding and appreciating our surroundings?

Say you warned me.... Relationships are hard... Good goes with bad... Life is all dynamics....

"Are you feeling OK?
Are you feeling so much pain that never goes away?
Oh, we know, and we're feeling so much better than before
What's more is that feeling isn't failing anymore"

Devin, as always, interjects personal with his universal... I think we have all felt this.... We have surely all felt like we were the stones of the road, trod upon by all.... But surely a true love is the way out? Wouldn't a true love of others bridge the way to loving yourself, because it is so damn hard to love yourself unless you can see that others can love you sometimes.... I know this is all coming across rather hippy-like but isn't opening ones self to being loved going to make it all a little easier to actually feel again, and not just be numb as a defense mechanism?

This is an entirely subjective impression I have gotten.... I would love to hear your opinions on what you think Devin is getting at on this one.

#68650 by psychotic
Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:55 am
Another song that I'm going to give my typical amazing comment to. Why? Because it really is another amazing Devin song. I love the power behind it, but that melody is easily what makes the song in a musical sense. The lyrics are awesome as well, very tender and caring, but with that Devin edge to it. I've heard many guesses as to what they're about, from a past girlfriend to yours and I think I recall someone on here even saying it's for his niece. Any of them make for a great song. I'd have to say that my favorite part of it though is when he screams "CHRISTEEN!" over and over again right after that line, "What's more is that feeling isn't failing anymore." That's what powerful is all about right there.

#68663 by Vesper
Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:14 am
*reads and nods*
nothing more to add, you just go on and analyze them all, then we compile it and print it in book form, I ain't joking! :)

#68696 by Blazingmonga
Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:55 am
Another good read Greg...

This song is, I think, a very 'necessary' track on the album. It is very catchy, poppy, and immediately gets in your head. On the other hand, there is just as much depth in this track as there is the rest, even though it is easier on the ears.

Lyrically, I think I agree with you there Greg.

Err, awesome. Keep it up!

#68700 by steve_dave
Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:58 am
I've read all of gregs analysees (?) and i have to say they've made me see the album in a different light, its weird, but somehow i've realised things i never knew before... EXCELLENT reading, keep it up, can't wait for the next ones!

#68704 by Olive?
Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:07 am
psychotic wrote:I'd have to say that my favorite part of it though is when he screams "CHRISTEEN!" over and over again right after that line, "What's more is that feeling isn't failing anymore." That's what powerful is all about right there.

Yeah!!! True!
That part is AWESOME and while Dev screams "Christeen", Gene plays a drum fill that's simply GREAT! It fits in perfectly and along with Dev's screaming gives to the song an incredible power.

MASTERPIECE.

X Greg: great one! Nothing else to say!!

#68712 by Bloody_Rust
Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:37 am
This is one of my favourite Devin songs, simply because it's easy to listen to. I can switch it on at any time without having to think about it, the same with "Life" and "Slow me down".

I'll say what everyone else has said. Greg - your analysis on the song was good reading! I've never bothered to really analyse the lyrics, even though I've wondered on occasion what they might mean.

Did anyone else notice that there's a Dev line in one of the songs on Phantom of the Opera? "Christine, that's all I ask of you". :D

#68715 by Blazingmonga
Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:47 am
Bloody_Rust wrote:Did anyone else notice that there's a Dev line in one of the songs on Phantom of the Opera? "Christine, that's all I ask of you". :D

Dev's being ripped off! That low down goddamn dirty Webber fella!

#68789 by asparagusDuck
Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:28 pm
I thought I heard somewhere that Christeen was Tracy's sister. Anybody ever hear of this or am i crazy? I always liked this song but found it weird how he was singing "say you love me say you love yourself" to not Tracy, but her sister. Heh. Anyway, just curious if anybody else can back this up or disprove it. I've always been curious about this and I'm glad someone brought up the song for discussion.

#78493 by PUNCHLINE
Sun May 29, 2005 4:26 am
I finally watched the Christeen video, and I can see why Dev didn`t like it! The Life video, while still cheap , is much better, in my humble opinion.

#78498 by thefillersweetcityjesus
Sun May 29, 2005 4:53 am
PUNCHLINE wrote:I finally watched the Christeen video, and I can see why Dev didn`t like it! The Life video, while still cheap , is much better, in my humble opinion.

I STILL haven't seen the life video :(

--

Christeen is definitely one of my favourites even though i rarely listen to it. Its such a good song and the lyrics are great.

#78511 by PUNCHLINE
Sun May 29, 2005 12:06 pm
Dude, i`d do you a copy ( I bought mine from HevyDevy records a few years ago), but it`s only in NTSC and I can`t convert that to DVD at the moment (I`m in UK, so we`re PAL only)..
Sorry!

#78519 by Janne
Sun May 29, 2005 1:39 pm
Bloody_Rust wrote:This is one of my favourite Devin songs...

Yeah, whatever... :P

What I wanted to say was that I really dig your avatar! It's that guy in "Little Britain", right? That show is hilarious! :lol:

"Yeees..."

#81561 by Barking Pumpkin
Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:06 pm
Blazingmonga wrote:
Bloody_Rust wrote:Did anyone else notice that there's a Dev line in one of the songs on Phantom of the Opera? "Christine, that's all I ask of you". :D

Dev's being ripped off! That low down goddamn dirty Webber fella!

The Phantom Of The Opera made its Broadway Debut in 1988, so unfortunately that's not so.

Anyway, I'll just put this here......I don't know anything about Devin's personal stuff......the first time I heard this song I thought it was based on "All I Ask Of You" from Phantom Of The Opera. Lyrically, several of the lyrics seem to be maybe a satirical twist on the lyrics from "All I Ask Of You," and musically, the chorus melody is similar to "All I Ask Of You." You have to know both songs to see the musical similarity.....but I'll post the lyrics to both here.

All I Ask Of You wrote:RAOUL
No more talk
of darkness,
Forget these
wide-eyed fears.
I'm here,
nothing can harm you -
my words will
warm and calm you.
Let me be
your freedom,
let daylight
dry -your tears.
I'm here,
with you, beside you,
to guard you
and to guide you . . .
CHRISTINE
Say you love me
every
waking moment,
turn my head
with talk of summertime . . .
Say you need me
with you,
now and always . . .
promise me that all
you say is true -
that's all I ask
of you . . .
RAOUL
Let me be
your shelter,
let me
be your light.
You're safe:
No-one will find you
your fears are
far behind you . . .
CHRISTINE
All I want
is freedom,
a world with
no more night . . .
and you
always beside me
to hold me
and to hide me . . .
RAOUL
Then say you'll share with
me one
love, one lifetime . . .
Iet me lead you
from your solitude . . .
Say you need me
with you
here, beside you . . .
anywhere you go,
let me go too -
Christine,
that's all I ask
of you . . .
CHRISTINE
Say you'll share with
me one
love, one lifetime . . .
say the word
and I will follow you . . .
BOTH
Share each day with
me, each
night, each morning . . .
CHRISTINE
Say you love me . . .
RAOUL
You know I do . . .
BOTH
Love me -
that's all I ask
of you . . .
(They kiss)
Anywhere you go
let me go too . . .
Love me -
that's all I ask
of you . .
(CHRISTINE starts from her reverie)
CHRISTINE
I must go -
they'll wonder where I am . . .
wait for me, Raoul!
RAOUL
Christine, I love you!
CHRISTINE;
Order your fine horses!
Be with them at the door!
RAOUL
And soon you'll be beside me!
CHRISTINE
You'll guard me, and you'll guide me . . .
(They hurry off. The PHANTOM emerges from
behind the statue)

Christeen wrote:Running, beyond the speed of sound
Calling, beyond the speed of sound
Say you love me, say you love yourself
Say you need me, say you care
Say you want me, say you want yourself
Say you want to be with me well

Christeen, that's all I ask of you

Falling, into the open doorway
Loving, what anyone else would loathe here...
Say you're with me, say you're with yourself
Say you're lonely, say you care
Say you warned me, say you warned yourself
Say you want to be with me well

Christeen, that's all I ask of you

Are you feeling okay?
Are you feeling so much pain
That never goes away
Oh, we know, and we're feeling so much better than before
What's more, is that feeling isn't failing anymore...

Oh....another sidenote. I originally interpreted what I see now as "Say you want to be with me well" as "Say you want to be with me forever," which was one of the things I saw as being a satirical twist on the "All I Ask Of You" lyrics.....so that portion of the lyrics similarities isn't really there....

#81562 by Barking Pumpkin
Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:13 pm
This discussion is an interesting for me.......I guess one of the other reasons I kind of saw it as a twist on "All I Ask Of You" was that it didn't seem to be a really emotionally deep song like "Storm," but rather full of kind of larger than live faux-emotion. That's kind of how it seemed to me........