The infinite waltz, welcome home, ladies and gentlemen
#69636 by psychotic
Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:15 am
Yes, the appreciation for the unappreciated thread has finally driven me to mention what I and as I've found out, many others feel is a song from Devin that isn't discussed nearly enough.

This is a song that I absolutely love just due to the complete insanity going on at all times. There's the insane rhythm especially near the beginning and during that middle part (word escapes me at the time, it's late here), and then there's just the pure insanity that is the main part of the song. The guitar going on, I've seen the tab, and for someone who hasn't been playing guitar for all too long, it looks insane to me. Anyway, I absolutely love the tune of the song. Outside of the technical aspect of this song, it's really just plain flat out fun as hell.

#69637 by Devinaddicted_Nils
Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:33 am
I was like :shock: when Dev told me once , that Ants can be done with just 2 guitars.......that song is a real awesome piece of music.

#69638 by IBrokeAString
Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:11 am
Devinaddicted_Nils wrote:I was like :shock: when Dev told me once , that Ants can be done with just 2 guitars.......that song is a real awesome piece of music.

let teh Dev tab it!111!!!!1
I am pretty sure this is one of those songs that can't be tabbed down by a fan trying to figure out the notes by ear

#69640 by Devinaddicted_Nils
Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:51 am
hopefully some day the cryptic tab-books will be released...

#69649 by Blazingmonga
Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:27 am
This song is absolutely bizarre. Possibly one of the freakiest things Dev has ever done.

I actually used a plug-in for WinAmp to slow this song down as it was playing. You could hear the lyrics a lot better and it almost sounded like a normal song! Its just so goddamn compressed!

Lord knows how he sung it, let alone played the guitar parts.

#69656 by Stonegaze
Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:17 am
Song is a crazy one when listening, gets a smile on my face easily. But looking at the lyrics, there's something depressing.

Alive, but so alone...
Live, so alive...
All we need is money just a little bit of money, and that's all
that we've been searching for
(Make the money! Do the laundry!)
Just a little bit of money makes the world go round

Money's taking all of our time, our strength, our lives. We live for making money, and there's never enough of it. Money starts to make us rather than we make money. A new god to worship. I see Ants as a quite ironic view - what have we become if not ants, running around with terrible hurry, trying to build our stack of money higher and higher. Nothing's enough, have to keep working, no free time.

Alive, but so alone...
Live, so alive...

#69662 by Dandamage
Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:25 am
Stonegaze wrote:
Money's taking all of our time, our strength, our lives. We live for making money, and there's never enough of it. Money starts to make us rather than we make money. A new god to worship. I see Ants as a quite ironic view - what have we become if not ants, running around with terrible hurry, trying to build our stack of money higher and higher. Nothing's enough, have to keep working, no free time.

Alive, but so alone...
Live, so alive...

Good call
Ants is a strange one,I kind of look at it as a deific perspecticve of humanity.
Whats its like for god to be in tune with all our thoughts and movement
Going insane with the infinite ramblings of 6 billion people or something like that...

#69722 by psychotic
Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:41 pm
Yeah, after looking at those lyrics, I'm beginning to think that like Dandamage said, the Ants are humanity. I feel it's like we're all just scurrying around like a colony of ants trying to get more and more money to buy us more happiness (as a whole, there's obvious exceptions all over). That's just how in interpret it, it could easily mean something else.

#69821 by Marshall Bravestar
Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:56 am
What I've always wanted to know is whether this song is sped up?

Maybe the guitars are played in realtime but have parts of it (maybe just the vocals) had the "Alvin and the Chipmunks" treatment?

It's really hard to tell, because Dev can do some pretty weird shit with his voice!

#69830 by dead6skin6mask6
Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:53 pm
another question... was Ants ever played live?

#69853 by Greg Reason
Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:18 pm
I don't think it has ever been played live, and yes, Devin told me he played those guitars as is, they are not sped up.

As for further analysis, I love the "do the laundry", which I thin is an abstract to emphasize the pointlessness of our existence within the context we have established for ourselves. Why do we chase money instead of living? We work every fuckin day to pile on more money, or if we'r enot that lucky then we simply work everyday to survive... A pretty fucked idea. Work should be abolished.

#69858 by TeamJonny
Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:42 pm
There is an excellent powertab version of Ants floating around the net, it sounds very accurate to me.

#69947 by Catatonik
Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:17 pm
This track always leaves me feeling a touch bizarre, the lyrics are so grim in many ways, but the music is almost happy and poppy.

MOst people just stare at me when I play it at work. :)

#71910 by GDiddy
Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:55 pm
IBrokeAString wrote:
Devinaddicted_Nils wrote:I was like :shock: when Dev told me once , that Ants can be done with just 2 guitars.......that song is a real awesome piece of music.

let teh Dev tab it!111!!!!1
I am pretty sure this is one of those songs that can't be tabbed down by a fan trying to figure out the notes by ear

I'm sure any accomplished musician can transcribe it for you.