The infinite waltz, welcome home, ladies and gentlemen
#96806 by Sypholin
Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:26 am
Hey, this is my first post in this forum... my name's Camilo. I'm from Chile and one of the few Devy fans over here... :wink:

For the last couple of days, Infinity has been kicking my ass, so I said "WTF" began listening and writing my feelings, so... here it is, my interpretation of the album! I don't think it's "correct" or "definitive" as the interpretation itself changes from listener to listener.

Hope you like it!!!

I seriously can't express how epic, grandiose and infinite this album is. It just feels larger than any space and longer than any time. I really mean it.

Truth: First, the soft introduction. Sounds something off Ocean Machine, like the sea waving goodbye, caressing us before we leave. Or like a gentle flower growing, moving "in tune" with the sun. Then, the quake.
All Heaven descending into us in less than 4 minutes. We see life passing us by, we see Heaven, Earth and Hell and beyond.
My friends, the gates of Infinity are open.

"It's back."

Christeen: We are reminded of our loves, our passions, the things that are so earthly and "human". Probably our first love, that girl that made us go crazy when we were young. Times were simpler back then. Life was good. And she made things better (and worse at the same time).

"Oh, we know, and we're feeling so much better than before..."

Bad Devil: We all have two sides. We all fight with ourselves. We all have that deep secret, that hidden "self" watching and lurking. And here is the representation of that human conflict, light against dark, the known against the unknown.
At the end, nobody wins. It's the Equilibrium, the balance. We need that, we need feeling crazy sometimes (if we're too quiet) or the feeling of calmness (if we're too crazy). The thing is we have to know how to control ourselves...

"Train won't stop, never gonna stop, and it's coming back to carry me back home..."

War: If we don't do that, however, if we can't control ourselves, we will probably lose our own "self" in the process. Lose contact with reality. Things are getting stranger by the minute, and at the last minute we are reminded that we all need Love, we have always wanted that. And we are also reminded that everything started from Chaos. We are doomed anyway, no matter if we fight or not, right? Not quite.
See that window? See that door? See the white light? Follow it.

"God, quiet! Just a little bit of quiet please! Just stop the noise for once... please!"

Soul Driven: Maute Dingas!!! Love is still holding us, Love is still eternal, we have a Soul, we Love and are Loved. If we reach contact with that Soul, we will be able to overcome our own problems. We will find the way to the Love that is prepared for us.
It's that rebirth. Once we are one with ourselves, the new age will begin. Before that... we are only....

"Only love and and acceptance of faith will convince you that you're not alone..."

Ants: That's right. We are only ants, working for the Swarm, the Colony. We lives our lives as if everything's "there" and things must be done. Change doesn't exist. Free will doesn't exist. Money money money money money sex sleep eat drink dream.

"All we need is money, just a little bit of money, and that's all that we've searching for..."

Colonial Boy: Yes, we are still humans and need carnal love, sex, we have fantasies. We have all been there, done that... we're wilder than we think we are! It's normal... it's just another step...

"Watch the boy, he feels it all... watch the boy, he heals it all..."

Dynamics: And here we are, after our long journey. We know that we have to be one with ourselves, but to accomplish that. we must realise we're humans and we're prone to make mistakes. Life changes and so must we... everything is dynamic. And now that we have changed, we're at the edge of life and have Infinity in front of us.
We still have hope. Even if God fails, we will be able to overcome obstacles, we will win... but we have to understand that we can't win alone...

"There's only one key to unlock the door, you must get by the metaphor..."

Unity: That's it. We must be one with life, with death, with everything and nothing. We will win united. After that... we will be Home, where we belong.

"It's alright, now we're home..."

Noisy Pink Bubbles: Probably this doesn't belong here... I see it more like a "bonus track" or something.
We depend on something, whether it's drugs, alcohol, a state of mind, an idea, a person. And sometimes... we have to let it go.

"But you make all the hurt go away, and all I can say it it's day after day, God, I know..."

Opinions? :D

#96911 by Sypholin
Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:35 am
No comments at all? :(

#96915 by funny_little_guy
Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:19 am
Hey sorry man. Greetings to you I think most people were just scared off by the massive size of your first post. Which is down right impressive if you ask me, I've never been able to write anything that long. You've got some interesting stuff in there, reading it the way you've got it set out it really gives the whole 'study of the human phyce (cant spell that)' impression, and I have to agree with Noisy Pink Bubbles feeling like a bonus track. While I think at times you might be overanalizing just a little (which is always damn easy to do) this is probally one of the best interpritations of Infinity as a whole album ive even seen. So congratulations, and welcome to the forum!

#96916 by Sypholin
Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:43 am
Yeah, surely that's one of the longest posts I have ever written... and being my first one on this forum, I think I can see why there were no replies at all. :D :wink:

About the overanalizing bit: yes, I also think I made some things out of nowhere, but, hey! My imagination is active almost all the time... that's why I am a writer. :D

Thanks for your kind words.

#96934 by Nothing
Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:44 pm
I would be happy to know how Devin thinks about your analysis, Sypholin. And now, I want the same with Terria - what can you say about those songs/lyrics??

"Eat your beef....recycle..." *lol*

#96938 by Atari
Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:38 pm
Nothing wrote:
"Eat your beef....recycle..." *lol*

Beets. :oops:

#96941 by Joch
Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:12 pm
"Eat your beets....recycle..."

That line always make me think about remarks as "be good" and such. Healthy and concious about the inviorment. And since the song goes on with a theme criculating around the theme of a woman, it might be about Tracy I guess. Checking out the forum I've found out that she's a vegetarian (which totally kick's ass) and that makes me think that she's ought to be in to inviormental issues to at least a bit.

The song seems to circulate around a feeling of pointlessness. I remember hearing it for the first time when I was fifteen, and I didn't get it at all, either music or lyrics.

Anyway. I'm sick and I'm heading for bead. Good fucking night!

Oh... And welcome Sypholin

#96959 by BlueRaja
Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:34 pm
Excellent analysis Sypholin. :) And I recognize you from Mike Portnoy's forum. Welcome! 8) I hope you like mangoes.

#97795 by Blazingmonga
Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:06 am
Sypholin wrote:Yeah, surely that's one of the longest posts I have ever written... and being my first one on this forum, I think I can see why there were no replies at all. :D :wink:

About the overanalizing bit: yes, I also think I made some things out of nowhere, but, hey! My imagination is active almost all the time... that's why I am a writer. :D

Thanks for your kind words.

Hi Sypholin, welcome to the board! You have certainly hit the ground running with that post. You are more than welcome to 'overanalyse' on this forum, it is always interesting to read peoples interpretations of these things.

Infact, if you look here:

http://hevydevyforums.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2871

There is a whole discussion on the album as a whole. On the 2nd page of that thread I have posted my own intepretation, much like yours. You may well be interested to read it! Though obviously they will differ a bit.

Infact, this whole Infinity section is filled with stuff like that. Check out the 'Song Discussion' threads also.

Good stuff!

-David

#98356 by Sypholin
Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:24 pm
Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I saw your analysis and I thought it was great! :D