The infinite waltz, welcome home, ladies and gentlemen

#150253 by djskrimp
Tue May 22, 2007 10:29 pm
Eyesore wrote:
Spaceship Superstar wrote:This was the one remaining Devin Townsend album I didn't really "get" until i played it once again just last week in the car. Up until then I only thought of the album as decent background music compared to all his other projects, but this time around it just clicked & I was totally into it from start to finish, & now I finally see this for the work of genius all of Devin's albums really are. It's a totally spotless record now in my book, Devin Townsend officially has never done wrong.

I think it's a harder album to get into for newer fans, because Devin has so much other material now. When it initially came out, we had two SYL albums and Ocean Machine. Each album had it's own very distinct sound. Now Devin has so much material, it's all kind of blurred the lines a bit. This album is similar to that album; that album is similar to this album. This song is similar to that song; that song is similar to this song. When Infinity came out, it was like nothing he'd done before. No one had any expectations of what it would be.

Now Devin kind of works from one spot and extends his "musical arms," pulling in material from all kinds of different directions, but his base is firm. Infinity is planted firmly on a different planet in the Hevy Devy universe. Hehe. So I can see where fans that got into his other stuff first, may now find Infinity a bit hard to swallow. It's the ugly stepchild with a beautiful heart, and well worth getting to know. :D

When the hell did you get so poetic? :D

#150260 by Eyesore
Wed May 23, 2007 12:57 am
djskrimp wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Spaceship Superstar wrote:This was the one remaining Devin Townsend album I didn't really "get" until i played it once again just last week in the car. Up until then I only thought of the album as decent background music compared to all his other projects, but this time around it just clicked & I was totally into it from start to finish, & now I finally see this for the work of genius all of Devin's albums really are. It's a totally spotless record now in my book, Devin Townsend officially has never done wrong.

I think it's a harder album to get into for newer fans, because Devin has so much other material now. When it initially came out, we had two SYL albums and Ocean Machine. Each album had it's own very distinct sound. Now Devin has so much material, it's all kind of blurred the lines a bit. This album is similar to that album; that album is similar to this album. This song is similar to that song; that song is similar to this song. When Infinity came out, it was like nothing he'd done before. No one had any expectations of what it would be.

Now Devin kind of works from one spot and extends his "musical arms," pulling in material from all kinds of different directions, but his base is firm. Infinity is planted firmly on a different planet in the Hevy Devy universe. Hehe. So I can see where fans that got into his other stuff first, may now find Infinity a bit hard to swallow. It's the ugly stepchild with a beautiful heart, and well worth getting to know. :D

When the hell did you get so poetic? :D

Nigga, please. I'm a writer. You know how I do.

#150262 by Biert
Wed May 23, 2007 3:23 am
Word.

#150272 by djskrimp
Wed May 23, 2007 4:07 am
Eyesore wrote:Nigga, please. I'm a writer. You know how I do.

Biert wrote:Word.

Dayum!

#150297 by Spaceship Superstar
Wed May 23, 2007 10:30 am
djskrimp wrote:
Eyesore wrote:Nigga, please. I'm a writer. You know how I do.

Biert wrote:Word.

Dayum!

... Fo rill?

#150314 by RastaPappi
Wed May 23, 2007 12:07 pm
it took for me a long time too to get into Infinity
i have to say, one of the best albums that i have ever heard
some of the songs just gives me the chills *its so good*