The infinite waltz, welcome home, ladies and gentlemen

#127353 by SouldrivenDevil
Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:35 am
Yanko wrote:lose wild colonial boy?!
are you on crack, son?!

I'm not saying I would give up "Wild Colonial Boy" but it's not on the original Infinity track list.

I don't think "Bad Devil" was either.

#127354 by SouldrivenDevil
Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:39 am
The original 'Infinity' track list:

TRUTH
PROCESSIONAL
CHRISTEEN
WAR
STARCHILD RISE
SOUL DRIVEN
OM
DYNAMICS
UNITY

#127362 by darknetghost
Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:18 am
What's the source of the "original" track list anyways? I see a lot of people posting it, but it must've come from somewhere, right?

#127383 by Yanko
Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:48 am
SouldrivenDevil wrote:
are you on crack, son?!

I'm not saying I would give up "Wild Colonial Boy" but it's not on the original Infinity track list.

I don't think "Bad Devil" was either.

oh
then DEVIN was on crack, originally :D

#127401 by Interrogator
Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:28 pm
I'm mixed about this whole thing. On the one hand it sounds very George Lucas to do this whole re-recording of Infinity thing. On the other hand, it would be amazing.

I just think that regardless of how happy Devin is with it doesn't matter, because we all love it. Infinity has a special place in time for me personally, as do each of Devin's albums. I remember waiting for it to come out for months and when it did it was indescribable.

The point is i don't want that all to become invalidated because the artist has decided he wasn't happy with it.

Let it go man, it's perfect.

#127433 by danceswithchickens
Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:09 am
SouldrivenDevil wrote:
Goat wrote:And wasn't the Infinity era the stressfullfullest of them all for Dev? Why go there if he wants to rest? This is fishy.

It was the most stressful because of time and the label rushing him to finish, why wouldn't he want to go and re-do it at his own pace and add the songs he really wanted on the first one.

Not sure if anyone else caught this, but Infinity was released on Dev's own label, so I'd say it was done at his own pace. In the album booklet it also says "This album took a long time to make." Does that sound rushed to you?

#127435 by Atari
Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:15 am
IIRC, the issue was with Sony Japan at the time.

#127438 by danceswithchickens
Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:36 am
Atari wrote:IIRC, the issue was with Sony Japan at the time.

Ah, I stand corrected. It would not be unusual to release a remixed or remastered version of an album, but to re-record the entire thing from scratch...seems a bit excessive, if you ask me.

#127439 by Goat
Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:50 am
I'm guessing this whole redoing Infinity might have something to do with Dev now being more accustomed to the recording gear, processes, technology and now he precisely knows how to achieve what he wanted while back then he struggled with that. You know, like "Shit, if I knew this and that when I was making Infinity, it would come out much more what I wanted it to." But still, very peculiar, redoing Infinity, I mean, what happened to "put it out and don't look back" philosophy? This here is a major lookback.

I remember him saying about Alien that it stemmed from "some loose ends of the Infinity era", that Alien was supposed to be some sort of closure. Now maybe he's recognising that didn't happen so he'll go down to the core of the problem. And here's what I don't understand: as far as I know, Infinity equals stress for Devin. Also now, like right now, he wants to go away from stress. And it doesn't add up. Will this be the happy approach to Infinity? Or does he know exactly what will happen when he'll let Infinity suck him up one last time, meaning he'll just go "alright you fucker, now I know wxactly how to approach you" and he'll just do it BAM, one two three gone. Oh well, we'll see I guess.

#127443 by Blazingmonga
Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:15 am
danceswithchickens wrote:
Atari wrote:IIRC, the issue was with Sony Japan at the time.

Ah, I stand corrected. It would not be unusual to release a remixed or remastered version of an album, but to re-record the entire thing from scratch...seems a bit excessive, if you ask me.

"Excessive" could be Devin's middle name!

I look forward to reading some kind of more official statement on this...as we are really just making stabs in the dark with all this.

#127486 by djskrimp
Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:47 pm
are you on crack, son?!

I do believe crack and a little crystal meth were used during the "thinking" process on that one. You can't have Infinity w/o "Wild Colonial Boy"..it just isn't cricket.

#127487 by John
Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:27 pm
Interrogator wrote:I just think that regardless of how happy Devin is with it doesn't matter, because we all love it. Infinity has a special place in time for me personally, as do each of Devin's albums. I remember waiting for it to come out for months and when it did it was indescribable.

The point is i don't want that all to become invalidated because the artist has decided he wasn't happy with it.

Let it go man, it's perfect.

Completely agreed.

Infinity is done, and - if you think about it from our perspective - is supposed to sound the way it does. To everyone except Devin. Seriously, I don't want anyone poking around in the song order, the mixing, the artwork or anything, not even Devin, because to me (and to most who love the album, I'd say) the album is perfect. Please leave it the way it is, but by all means, go ahead and create another "Devin Townsend" solo album, Infinity style! Now THAT would rule, don't you think? :)

#127489 by Noodles
Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:14 pm
Infinity always sounded like a collection of song rather than a cohesive album to me... at least compared to Devin's other stuff which is generally fairly encompassing and sort of conceptual.