The infinite waltz, welcome home, ladies and gentlemen
#128691 by Yanko
Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:09 pm
And please kick me hard in the nuts if there already is one, i swear i tried to find it.

So, what are your thoughts on this one? It's one of my favorites on the album, probably because of the whole (i guess it is) chromatic circus-esque stuff in it, and the way it builds up to the waltzy beat, it's just friggin awesome :D

one thing i never cleared out is why it was put in the album instead of one of the songs that were originally planned. I can't help to think it was a great great decision, cause man, i love this one :D

so yeah, discuss :P

#128697 by kyl88
Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:20 pm
There is lots to like about this one. Great lyrics. Great vocals. But what I like best is the guitar tone. I wonder what kind of amp he used...

#128705 by A-Daamage
Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:53 pm
Absolutely the worst song on the album and the only song I've ever instantly not liked by Dev. It should've been left on the editing room floor whereas Om, Sit In The Mountain and Processional should've been in the tracklisting.

And the "amp" he used is the Roland GP-100, which is no longer made, but you can sometimes find popping up on Ebay. I say "amp" as it's a preamp/effects processor that was connected direct in to the console, probably through a DI box.

#128715 by danceswithchickens
Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:51 am
Finally, a thread where we can clarify, once and for all, that the name of the song is "Colonial Boy", not "Wild Colonial Boy".

Anyway, I never really liked this song, though once and a while it's cool. But I feel that way about half of the album, quote honestly. "Bad Devil" and "Ants" don't really do it for me either, which is strange, as I'm normally not opposed to experimental, off-the-wall music...

#128719 by Blazingmonga
Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:08 am
danceswithchickens wrote:Finally, a thread where we can clarify, once and for all, that the name of the song is "Colonial Boy", not "Wild Colonial Boy"

On the later releases it is listed on the back as Wild Colonial Boy...

I've never understood why some people don't like this song. It is a really sinister piece, and one of my favourites. Interesting to think about how Devin must have viewed himself while writing this track.

Is he the Wild Colonial Boy?

#128725 by Kivenkantaja
Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:47 am
Who is Paddington?

#128728 by Hughie
Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:38 am
I love the song, personally..;x

#128730 by danceswithchickens
Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:21 am
Blazingmonga wrote:
danceswithchickens wrote:Finally, a thread where we can clarify, once and for all, that the name of the song is "Colonial Boy", not "Wild Colonial Boy"

On the later releases it is listed on the back as Wild Colonial Boy...

I've never understood why some people don't like this song. It is a really sinister piece, and one of my favourites. Interesting to think about how Devin must have viewed himself while writing this track.

Is he the Wild Colonial Boy?

Gene himself once said that it was the one song that he never really cared for much, out of all of Devin's stuff that he played on. Not sure if he just meant drum-wise, or the song as a whole...

#128861 by the_scoon
Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:24 am
I can't say I've ever been a huge fan of the song, but it does fit nicely where it is in the album. The one thing that made me flip out was just the opening, how HUGE the tone of the guitar is with those opening arpeggios.

#128874 by gozu
Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:14 pm
i love this song! its got a huge almost waltz feel to it everytime i listen i get images of variouse mirrormask esque people dancing in a huge hall... and yeah i think dev is the wild colonial boy...

#128895 by Kivenkantaja
Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:14 am
A little bit of Antiproduct in Wild Colonial Boy?
Sell me, tell me, I'm wild

#128900 by Persuader
Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:36 am
It's all very very good.

#128902 by day old male
Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:17 am
Devin is definitely the wild colonial boy. Canada, being a part of the crown and therefore a one-time colony of the British Empire makes him the colonial boy. And is there any doubting that he is wild???
On another note though, has anyone noticed that when a computer reads the tracklisting of Infinity, it sees 'Soul Driven' as being called 'Soul Driven Caddillac'? I'm sure there's a thread on this somewhere, but how fucking weird is that?

#128904 by Mayday
Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:27 am
day old male wrote:On another note though, has anyone noticed that when a computer reads the tracklisting of Infinity, it sees 'Soul Driven' as being called 'Soul Driven Caddillac'? I'm sure there's a thread on this somewhere, but how fucking weird is that?

I have the reedition of Infinity with a couple of bonus tracks and the track is listed as "Soul Driven Cadillac" in the booklet...I always wondered about that, too.

#128905 by Atari
Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:32 am
HDR release has the shorter names, my copy (the InsideOut release) has the longer names: