The infinite waltz, welcome home, ladies and gentlemen
#128863 by the_scoon
Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:37 am
I don't actually know the story at all about what exactly it was that drove Devin over the edge writing this album, and if it can't be shared fair enough, but I was just curious. Can someone tell the story?

#132107 by rgx612a
Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:51 am
I don't know really? All i know is he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder during the Infinity album. Coulda been drugs that triggered it? I think he said he took acid for the first time during this time.

#132111 by Biert
Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:04 am
I thought he was diagnosed with it a lot earlier, that it runs in his family?

#132114 by the_scoon
Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:42 am
Wow, I posted this so long ago haha. Yeah, I think I heard something about him being diagnosed earlier, and that the acid put him over the edge, but Im not entirely sure...

#132143 by JayjayAbnormal
Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:47 am
In one of the interviews on FBM he said he had it since a teen. He would feel fine for a few days, than the next day be severely depressed and on the verge of suicide.

So than he took himself into the hospital and to see whats wrong and they revealed he had bi-polar disorder

#132968 by Yanko
Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:39 pm
trust me, even if you do have a productive outcome, getting your head eaten on the inside by itself isn't the best of things :P

#132986 by Atari
Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:17 pm
I recommend Stephen Fry's "Secret Life of the Manic Depressive", which you can grab off a torrent.

#132990 by JayjayAbnormal
Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:53 pm
Atari wrote:I recommend Stephen Fry's "Secret Life of the Manic Depressive", which you can grab off a torrent.

Sounds good, is it a book or movie?'

Edit: Found it, hopefully it will be done by tommorow.

#133017 by Biert
Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:42 am
Atari wrote:I recommend Stephen Fry's "Secret Life of the Manic Depressive", which you can grab off a torrent.

Haha that guy's like Troy McClure :lol:
You may also know him from other movies such as "A Fish Called Wanda", "The Discovery of Heaven" and "V for Vendetta" :P

#133035 by danceswithchickens
Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:16 am
rgx612a wrote:I don't know really? All i know is he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder during the Infinity album. Coulda been drugs that triggered it? I think he said he took acid for the first time during this time.

LSD will not make you bipolar. It might help expose the disorder, if anything...

My understanding is that during Infinity, Devin went through a major manic phase; a "Christ complex" where he started to believe that he had figured out the meaning of all of the chaos on the universe, or something. Some of the lyrics on Infinity hint at this ("In the morning, 'bout three or so, can't stop thinkin' 'bout the universe). Basically he just tried to capture all of these grand ideas on the album.

Afterwards, he came crashing down into a depressive state and spent the better part of a year being miserable. He was later diagnosed bipolar, and started taking meds. Physicist was made during the "grey period" in which the meds were having an effect.

Now, this is just what I've pieced together from various interviews. If Devin wants to join in this discussion and make me look foolish, he is welcome to do so...

#133070 by black_tooth_grin
Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:28 pm
I knew Dev had bi-polar but I never realised the pain he went through in creating Infinity. I guess the best muscians are always the crazy ones. :P

I've been known to encouter people with bi-polar in the past, at first I didn't really understand what they were going though. I just thought they were complete and utter nut jobs, thats until I did abit of research on it afew years ago. A mate of mine who I use to know at University has it bad, he went though alot of tough patches in his life. One day he would be so happy, and the next he would be so miserable he would want to kill himself.

At first I thought he was just a attention seeker cos some of the stuff that came out of his mouth was just horrible. But I slowly took into consideration what he want through, I slowly understood the disorder and wanted to help him. But after awhile it seemed he didn't want to be helped, I guess he could only help himself...which is abit hard for someone with such a disorder.

#133075 by Atari
Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:21 am
JayjayAbnormal wrote:

Sounds good, is it a book or movie?'

Edit: Found it, hopefully it will be done by tommorow.

2 part BBC documentary.