The infinite waltz, welcome home, ladies and gentlemen

#137109 by Noodles
Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:07 pm
I think all 3 of their vocalists have been great and fit the material they've song on perfectly. Greg Puciato's scream is scary, although I think he needs to ditch the Patton-worshippy clean vocals.

Necrophagist and Sikth are OK, but Sikth's screamer really grates on my nerves. Also there's bands in the same style that I'd much rather listen to for both of them (Sinners Bleed, Arsis, Aborted, Atheretic, Augury, Quo Vadis for Necrophagist... The End, Protest the Hero and The Fall of Troy for Sikth).

Math Metal is basically any kind of metal with weird rhythms, the term doesnt really make sense but I guess it carried over from "math rock", which also doesnt really make sense.

#137115 by AccEvolution
Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:08 am
danceswithchickens wrote:From what I understand, "math metal" is a term invented by Relapse Records to describe the sound of Dillinger Escape Plan. That's all it is. So, you could say that "math metal" is anything that resembles DEP.

As for DEP live, I have seen them twice and they destroyed both times. On the other hand, I have heard several people complain about their live show. My theory; if you are not really into their sound and you don't know their music, it would be hard to make sense of their songs in a live setting. Their music is so busy that to the uninitiated it probably sounds like a bunch of noise...

AccEvolution, did you see them on Gigantour, by chance?

Yeah, I did catch them on Gigantour. Even a few friends of mine who are DEP fans said that they weren't sounding up to par.

It's likely that since I wasn't ENTIRELY familiar with the band that it was a bit hard making sense of their music live, but on the other hand I'm very familiar with technical, somewhat chaotic music, so I can kind of see what they're aiming for.

#137117 by sj_2150
Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:03 am
ugh... please talk about Dev again please

#137144 by AccEvolution
Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:34 am
My apologies.

Infinity was the last Dev album to really "click" with me. And it happened only shortly after Physicist "clicked."

#137145 by superhydroyeast
Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:40 am
sj_2150 wrote:ugh... please talk about Dev again please

Dev rules! We all love the holy Dev. Dev is the.

#137151 by the_scoon
Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:34 am
superhydroyeast wrote:I wouldn't say Ants SOUNDED like dep. the song just reminded me of them with the fast guitaring. I respect dep for what they do. the way they see music is very broad and creative, but it's just really not my kind of music.
I love math metal, check sikth and necrophagist, and I like a few of dep's songs, such as sunshine the werewolf and 43% burnt (although they need a better vocalist, ugh), but all the other stuff seems too mad for me to sit down and listen to casually.

SIKTH = awesome

And just because someone mentioned we should talk about Devin again...

DEVIN = awesome x2

#137168 by danceswithchickens
Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:46 pm
AccEvolution wrote:
danceswithchickens wrote:From what I understand, "math metal" is a term invented by Relapse Records to describe the sound of Dillinger Escape Plan. That's all it is. So, you could say that "math metal" is anything that resembles DEP.

As for DEP live, I have seen them twice and they destroyed both times. On the other hand, I have heard several people complain about their live show. My theory; if you are not really into their sound and you don't know their music, it would be hard to make sense of their songs in a live setting. Their music is so busy that to the uninitiated it probably sounds like a bunch of noise...

Yeah, I did catch them on Gigantour. .

That would be why they were booed off the stage; not their sort of crowd to begin with. Fantomas was booed off the stage when they opened for Tool, but that doesn't say anything about the quality of their music.

#137179 by djskrimp
Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:07 pm
danceswithchickens wrote:
AccEvolution wrote:

Yeah, I did catch them on Gigantour. .

That would be why they were booed off the stage; not their sort of crowd to begin with. Fantomas was booed off the stage when they opened for Tool, but that doesn't say anything about the quality of their music.

You can lead an emo to water, but you can't make him drink it. He'll probablly just commit suicide by drowning.

I wish people were more open-minded. If you go to a concert and here a band that you hadn't heard of before playing music that isn't the same as the band you came to see, you should give it a chance to suck before booing.

#137183 by AccEvolution
Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:33 pm
I don't know if you're referring to me, but I was definitely familiar with DEP before seeing them live. I never enjoyed them, but that live performance made it pretty solid to me that they were nothing special at all.

#137213 by superhydroyeast
Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:25 am
Noodles wrote:I think all 3 of their vocalists have been great and fit the material they've song on perfectly. Greg Puciato's scream is scary, although I think he needs to ditch the Patton-worshippy clean vocals.

Necrophagist and Sikth are OK, but Sikth's screamer really grates on my nerves. Also there's bands in the same style that I'd much rather listen to for both of them (Sinners Bleed, Arsis, Aborted, Atheretic, Augury, Quo Vadis for Necrophagist... The End, Protest the Hero and The Fall of Troy for Sikth).

Math Metal is basically any kind of metal with weird rhythms, the term doesnt really make sense but I guess it carried over from "math rock", which also doesnt really make sense.

I'll look into those. Sikth have two vocalists by the way, so it depends whether you hate them both or just one of them.

#137255 by Noodles
Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:47 pm
AccEvolution wrote:I don't know if you're referring to me, but I was definitely familiar with DEP before seeing them live. I never enjoyed them, but that live performance made it pretty solid to me that they were nothing special at all.

Yeah I mean it's not like they spawned an entire subgenre or anything...

I mainly don't like the Sikth guy who does the screaming. The other guy is OK, but the way both of them right their vocal lines annoys me too.

#137257 by Biert
Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:23 pm
Yeah the screamer sounds a bit like a 14-year-old crybaby. But I love Sikth a lot, still!!

#137283 by danceswithchickens
Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:25 pm
AccEvolution wrote:My apologies.

Infinity was the last Dev album to really "click" with me. And it happened only shortly after Physicist "clicked."

Infinity is definitely more challenging than his other albums, because it's more experimental, I suppose. Lots of interesting ideas on it, though, and a few truly amazing songs; namely "Truth", "Soul Driven" and "Dynamics".

Have you heard the Infinity EP yet ("Christeen + 4 Demos")? Be sure to check it out if you haven't...