The infinite waltz, welcome home, ladies and gentlemen
#136863 by superhydroyeast
Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:06 am
I got it yesterday and listened to it all last night. Three words come to mind "OH MY GOD!"
How diverse is this album?!?! It's unlike anything devin has ever made. It's so hyper and random, yet amazing and creative. I'm so glad I got it, I'm not sure I'd go as far as to favour it over Synchestra, but then again I've only just started listening to this and I'm sure it'll sink in afterwards.

#136868 by sj_2150
Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:07 am
yeah its one of those albums that takes time to understand. keep listening :D

#136885 by superhydroyeast
Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:05 am
Ants immediatly reminded me of Dillinger Escape Plan's stuff. but I prefer dev's way of doing it, because personally, dep sound too messy and random and I'm pretty sure if I recorded my mind and strained my head I could churn out something like that

#136899 by the_scoon
Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:58 am
Ants is a lot like Dillenger, except strangely easier to listen to. That song is like the soundtrack to someone going insane.

#137021 by IronMaiden736
Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:18 pm
Oh just wait. Give it like 10 more listens and then it will hit you. It's kinda weird, everyone seems to 'get' Infinity after the same song.....

#137030 by AccEvolution
Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:42 pm
Yeah, Ants is what DEP would sound like if they didn't suck. :)

I wish I hadn't seen them live.

#137032 by danceswithchickens
Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:38 pm
AccEvolution wrote:Yeah, Ants is what DEP would sound like if they didn't suck. :)

Fuck that. They are awesome, live and on CD.

#137033 by Noodles
Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:53 pm
danceswithchickens wrote:
AccEvolution wrote:Yeah, Ants is what DEP would sound like if they didn't suck. :)

+1

and ants doesn't really sound anything like Dillinger. If anything I'd compare it to Mr. Bungle...

#137043 by superhydroyeast
Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:03 am
I wouldn't say Ants SOUNDED like dep. the song just reminded me of them with the fast guitaring. I respect dep for what they do. the way they see music is very broad and creative, but it's just really not my kind of music.
I love math metal, check sikth and necrophagist, and I like a few of dep's songs, such as sunshine the werewolf and 43% burnt (although they need a better vocalist, ugh), but all the other stuff seems too mad for me to sit down and listen to casually.

#137061 by AccEvolution
Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:40 am
danceswithchickens wrote:

They were nearly booed off the stage when I saw them. Maybe they were having on off-night or something, but they sounded like absolute crap. It was pretty unprofessional of the vocalist to start calling the crowd names and throwing water bottles because they were getting booed.

On CD they aren't as bad, but I still think the vocals are god awful.

And what exactly IS math metal? Since when is Necrophagist not just technical death metal?

#137063 by superhydroyeast
Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:42 am
And what exactly IS math metal? Since when is Necrophagist not just technical death metal?
well, math metal IS tech metal, but it has so many names that I just don't give a damn anymore what the hell I call it. so don't let it confuse you =]

#137065 by AccEvolution
Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:49 am
I'll just stick with technical death metal. It has balls. :)

#137094 by superhydroyeast
Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:12 pm
yeah, lol. are you a fan of the one who feeds upon the dead?

#137095 by danceswithchickens
Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:14 pm
From what I understand, "math metal" is a term invented by Relapse Records to describe the sound of Dillinger Escape Plan. That's all it is. So, you could say that "math metal" is anything that resembles DEP.

As for DEP live, I have seen them twice and they destroyed both times. On the other hand, I have heard several people complain about their live show. My theory; if you are not really into their sound and you don't know their music, it would be hard to make sense of their songs in a live setting. Their music is so busy that to the uninitiated it probably sounds like a bunch of noise...

AccEvolution, did you see them on Gigantour, by chance?