The infinite waltz, welcome home, ladies and gentlemen
#146925 by ghaleon0075
Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:56 pm
Well, this really wasnt what I was expecting at all. Not that thats a bad thing though, its just a little more bizare than I thought it would be. After the first run though, Id say Truth, Bad Devil, Wild Colonial Boy, and Noisy Pink Bubbles were the stand out tracks. As for the weaker tracks, I really have no idea why Ants is on the album to begin with and Unity seemed a little boring.

But yeah, definitely an interesting listen! 'Bout to give it a second spin in a few minutes

#146926 by NoisyPinkBubble
Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:15 pm
Most people don't know that Devin had different intentions for Infinity, such as the tracklisting (which in the beginning was almost entirely different). He's hinted at intentions of re-recording it properly, and could be a possible release in the future.

#146932 by Hughie
Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:46 pm
Maybe you shouldn't try to post any negative opinions of songs after you've only heard them once:)

As a side note, Unity is one of my favorite songs.

#146933 by Warhead
Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:01 pm
It takes a few listens to truly appreciate it

#146936 by ghaleon0075
Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:14 pm
Hughie wrote:Maybe you shouldn't try to post any negative opinions of songs after you've only heard them once:)

Im just giving first impressions. My appologies if it came off like I was trashing it or something. I liked Unity a lot more on the second listen
#146938 by Eyesore
Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:54 pm
ghaleon0075 wrote:Well, this really wasnt what I was expecting at all. Not that thats a bad thing though, its just a little more bizare than I thought it would be. After the first run though, Id say Truth, Bad Devil, Wild Colonial Boy, and Noisy Pink Bubbles were the stand out tracks. As for the weaker tracks, I really have no idea why Ants is on the album to begin with and Unity seemed a little boring.

But yeah, definitely an interesting listen! 'Bout to give it a second spin in a few minutes

A great album, but definitely a weird one. It's very disjointed, but that's part of its beauty. And "Ants" is frickin' outstanding! I love that song. It reminds me of old Tom & Jerry cartoons, where they'd be having a picnic and that long, long line of ants would come marching along and steal all the food! Hahaha.

Check this out:

[youtube]8hn6yx08c0Y[/youtube]

(around the 6-minute mark) :lol:
Last edited by Eyesore on Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#146940 by NoisyPinkBubble
Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:03 pm
Hughie wrote:Maybe you shouldn't try to post any negative opinions of songs after you've only heard them once:)

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, good or bad. To say otherwise is a little ridiculous.
#146967 by Das Schuetzenfest
Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:20 am
ghaleon0075 wrote:Well, this really wasnt what I was expecting at all. Not that thats a bad thing though, its just a little more bizare than I thought it would be.

I know what you mean...
You should check out the "On the merits of the original Infinity" thread soon!

#146969 by JuZ
Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:35 am
ghaleon0075 wrote:

Im just giving first impressions. My appologies if it came off like I was trashing it or something. I liked Unity a lot more on the second listen

It's all good! Infinity is generally regarded as the most difficult album to get into, but it really is worth persisting with, as it has some truly intense moments (Dynamics springs to mind) and some amazing depth that can only be appreciated over time. Laos, I always think of the "other" songs when I think of Infinity (as mentioned elsewhere), so check them out too.

#147005 by Liquid
Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:04 am
Heh, yeah, Infinity and Physicist just came in the mail yesterday. Naturally, I've decided to digest Infinity before I move onto Physicist.

So far, I'm in a way very impressed, but I still know that there's a lot more of the album I haven't quite clicked with yet. I seem to be having the same problem I usually do with Devy's albums, in that the last few songs are less exciting and more strange, less interesting at first. Sometimes it's hard not to stop the CD and start over after Life is All Dynamics. But, of course, I persevere. :)

Ants is a freaking cool song. I just love it when Devy screws around like that. You know, the comedic metal and whatnot, like I imagine Ziltoid may end up being. Bad Devil is also freaking awesome, for a similar reason. War I've heard before (thanks, progarchives), but it's really interesting to hear it in the actual CD context.

Yep, enjoying it a lot, really. Not the rocker like Accelerated Evolution, but it certainly is a great album, with lots of hidden layers for me to discover eventually.

#147017 by Lolliklauer
Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:04 am
Infinity is my favourite Devin-album, but, yes, it takes some time to get into it. And it requires good hifi-equipment! "Truth" is my favourite track for testing speakers or something - it tells the truth about your speakers! :-) On a bad stereo the album may sound like "mash" (so we say in german, don´t know the correct english phrase).

#147018 by Liquid
Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:06 am
Yeah, that's something I'm wondering... I have a fine Logitech speaker set, but several points on Truth and maybe one on War sound like the speaker's just can't take the massive booms. Is that supposed to happen, or is Infinity a bit much for my budget rig?

#147027 by Lolliklauer
Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:19 am
I´m pretty shure that the explosions in "dynamics" should sound very distorted, but all in all Infinity is supposed to sound crystal clear, i think (including the booms in Truth and War).

But of course it´s a great album anyway.

#147041 by gurp13
Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:21 pm
Liquid wrote:Yeah, that's something I'm wondering... I have a fine Logitech speaker set, but several points on Truth and maybe one on War sound like the speaker's just can't take the massive booms. Is that supposed to happen, or is Infinity a bit much for my budget rig?

The bass drops on Truth will distort or not be audible on low end systems without a subwoofer.

I think what Lolliklauer is talking about is that if your speakers or amp is not very good, the complexity of the sound in many of the songs will get very muddy. On good speakers (or headphones) you should get a very layered but clean sound.

One exception to this that I've noticed is on Unity. There seems to be some crackle in the guitar that I think results from compression. Is this wrong? Do you think that's intentional?

#147057 by Lolliklauer
Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:17 pm
gurp13 wrote:I think what Lolliklauer is talking about is that if your speakers or amp is not very good, the complexity of the sound in many of the songs will get very muddy. On good speakers (or headphones) you should get a very layered but clean sound.

Yes, that´s what i meant to say.

gurp13 wrote:One exception to this that I've noticed is on Unity. There seems to be some crackle in the guitar that I think results from compression. Is this wrong? Do you think that's intentional?

I don´t know what you mean. There´s some distortion going on at around 5 min., but that´s intentional (another sample layered over it), i think. Or do you mean something else?