The infinite waltz, welcome home, ladies and gentlemen
#176760 by Tortiss
Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:55 pm
"Unsure? Well, here's help with the weight
There's only "god" for "heaven's" sake
There's only one key to unlock the door
You must get the metaphor"

Help guys!
I don't get the metaphor! How will I unlock the door?
#176761 by soundsofentropy
Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:19 pm
I always thought that the last line was "you must get by the metaphor."

Anyway, Dev likes the idea of "infinity as a metaphor for god," as he says, and I'm sure that has something to do with it. And I always understood this song as being about appreciating things as they are--dynamic and ephemeral--and not trying to add excess meaning to everything. Rather Buddhist, as I see it (I guess).

But it's very possible that I'm wrong.
#176783 by djskrimp
Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:32 am
Soundsofentropy is right, it is "you must get by the metaphor."

So, here's my take:

"Unsure? Well, here's help with the weight
There's only "god" for "heaven's" sake
There's only one key to unlock the door
you must get by the metaphor."

Help with the weight: That's the weight of religion as an institution pressing you down, trying to force you into an idea instead of letting you come to an idea for yourself of what "god" is.

Only "god" for "heaven's" sake: The idea of "god" as presented by preachers or priests or whatever would have you believe that the only way you get get to god is by doing "good", living the way that they prescribe and by following their mandates, in other words, you'll only get to heaven if you believe in the god we tell you to believe in.

There's only one key to unlock the door: Only you can know how YOU believe. If your god is something as simple as a sunrise or set, then that's it. Nothing else will ever fit for YOU than that. What works for one person may not work for anyone else, in what their heart believes.

YOu must get by the metaphor: God isn't a concept, it's a force that is all around and exists within you as a real thing. To look past the symbols or preset ideas and to follow the path of what you believe to be "good" or "right" is the only way to truly experience that god.

This is MY interpretation. If I am way of base, then you have my most sincere apology, Dev.
#176940 by the-fluke
Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:17 pm
djskrimp wrote:Help with the weight: That's the weight of religion as an institution pressing you down, trying to force you into an idea instead of letting you come to an idea for yourself of what "god" is.

Only "god" for "heaven's" sake: The idea of "god" as presented by preachers or priests or whatever would have you believe that the only way you get get to god is by doing "good", living the way that they prescribe and by following their mandates, in other words, you'll only get to heaven if you believe in the god we tell you to believe in.

There's only one key to unlock the door: Only you can know how YOU believe. If your god is something as simple as a sunrise or set, then that's it. Nothing else will ever fit for YOU than that. What works for one person may not work for anyone else, in what their heart believes.

YOu must get by the metaphor: God isn't a concept, it's a force that is all around and exists within you as a real thing. To look past the symbols or preset ideas and to follow the path of what you believe to be "good" or "right" is the only way to truly experience that god.

This is MY interpretation. If I am way of base, then you have my most sincere apology, Dev.

I love this! You are so on my level!

But as for the case in point, this is all true. The metaphor is what you make it to be. Belief is personal, not universal. Concept is all a point of view, and as a result is all subject to individual growth and opinions.
#176984 by soundsofentropy
Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:07 pm
the-fluke wrote:But as for the case in point, this is all true. The metaphor is what you make it to be. Belief is personal, not universal. Concept is all a point of view, and as a result is all subject to individual growth and opinions.

This should not go overlooked.

+1 :D
#177044 by Tortiss
Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:00 pm
Man...I just unlocked the door...and guess what?
#177045 by Tortiss
Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:03 pm
ITS FILLED WITH CANDY!
And I shall share some with you for helping me obtain it, 3 swedish berries each...Hurray!

(On a more serious note, those were some awesome anylizations)
#177214 by Amber
Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:05 pm
soundsofentropy wrote:
the-fluke wrote:But as for the case in point, this is all true. The metaphor is what you make it to be. Belief is personal, not universal. Concept is all a point of view, and as a result is all subject to individual growth and opinions.

This should not go overlooked.

+1 :D

I think thats one of the best things I've read.
+1 from me too. =D
#177260 by Persuader
Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:55 am
Tortiss wrote:ITS FILLED WITH CANDY!
And I shall share some with you for helping me obtain it, 3 swedish berries each...Hurray!

(On a more serious note, those were some awesome anylizations)

Swedish berries rock, especially the red and blue ones! :D