The infinite waltz, welcome home, ladies and gentlemen
#210501 by Voradin
Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:39 pm
Does anyone know what sort of vocoder gives the "demon voice" effect that appears in this song (and even more so in the live version)? My MicroKORG has a "vocoder" but it only does the techno/pop voice alterations and the robot thing... I need something that does the Demon. I've heard this effect alot so I know it can't be hard to find... anyone have any info on this?
#211431 by croomekid
Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:53 am
I'd think he's only deepening the pitch of the audio track, or adjusting the EQ or something professional like that.
or I could be completley wrong?
#241485 by Knotrice
Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:03 am
Voradin wrote:Does anyone know what sort of vocoder gives the "demon voice" effect that appears in this song (and even more so in the live version)? My MicroKORG has a "vocoder" but it only does the techno/pop voice alterations and the robot thing... I need something that does the Demon. I've heard this effect alot so I know it can't be hard to find... anyone have any info on this?

I've heard that it's actually a style of singing - to an extent, I myself can replicate it with my own voice. If you can't, use a couple of filters and some EQ adjustments and you should be good.
#241500 by djskrimp
Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:12 am
It just sounds like the voice is slowed down and then coupled with a different pitch of the same voice to me.
#242384 by orbsonb
Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:38 pm
i'm pretty sure it's just pitchshifted way down. if you're good enough at making gurgling noises you could probably get something that sounds close to the song but i don't think that's what dev did
#246978 by Voradin
Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:44 pm
I still think there is a device involved here that simply "does" what we are hearing, maybe it pitch-shifts and phase-shifts at the same time, I don't know... I probably should have mentioned that I was really thinking more about the live version of the song; if you listen carefully (to the live version) you can hear Dev's normal voice as well as the Demon voice, he probably used a different mic for the Demon voice and ran it through a vocoder... the live version has more of a gurgling growl to it, whereas the album version could very well have been just a detune.

I've also heard this exact same effect many times before. Examples that immediately come to mind are Godflesh using it on "Predominance" (from the PURE album) and Grim Reaper using it on "Final Scream" on one of their records decades ago, and I've also heard it in various movies. That's why I was thinking that this was a simple effect or device; plug in, turn on, and growl like a demon... just which effect/machine/processor is it?
#249336 by adriangj
Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:00 pm
As said before, I think it's some kind of pitch shifting effect...There's a live video of Bad Devil on youtube somewhere that includes the spoken parts and it seems like they used the effect there too.
#272618 by static2
Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:10 pm
they're just pitch shifted way down, like two octaves. they are doubled as well. there's a lot you can do to change intonation etc. with more complex algorithms, like those used by Melodyne and Autotune.

vocoders don't sound like that whatsoever.
#285802 by Sticks
Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:52 am
After thorough listening to this part on Infinity, I've analyzed that it's both the "frog vocals" another poster mentioned, and a pitch shifter. Definitely a pitch shifter.